Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

2001 SS Vert VS. Turbo S2000 VS. S/C Marauder

Competitors:
    2001 SS vert, factory stock down to the factory tires still (20k miles)

03 Turbo S2000 (2.0 engine) 371.5whp 249 ft/lb @9psi. He was on 7psi that night he said.

03 Marauder- Trilogy S/C, 9.5lbs of boost, 450rwhp, 4.56's, headers, etc

Now for the story:

All races were done in Fantasyville, BS, and never actually happened...

There were a total of 4-5 actual races, with severely different outcomes on each one from what I remember. Each time the S2000 was obviously the higher HP vehicle, but had a VERY tough time pulling away...

first race was SS vs. S2k only, 40-45mph roll (2nd gear for ss)...three honks and LS1 pulls to quick lead (S2000 owner says his car is very peaky) and S2k starts to reel in and then stay even with each gear change, unsure of shut down speed honestly, but LS1 was even/nose ahead

2nd race was 3 wide from about ~25 mph and the SS and marauder were ALL OVER THE ROAD through first and most of 2nd gear, I was behind about 2 cars when S2000 shut down, and Marauder was maybe 1/2 car back from him.

3rd race was from a higher speed and pretty even with S2k and Marauder being 1/2 to 1 car ahead by the end (110+)

couple more pulls, but each one just kept going back and forth due to traction/jumps/etc....his S2k is obviously quicker, but the powerband in the SS makes up for it and evens them up quite a bit.

Marauder VS. SS afterward...

First race SS jumps and never saw the Marauder again....

2nd race we were unfortuantely approaching a curve, but it was almost dead even before I let off and he came flying past me....again, given enough space, I'm sure the Marauder would eventually come around, but it would be a VERY slow pull...

I wouldn't say I "pulled"....but definitely didnt get pulled away from that bad/if at all depending on the race....it was obvious who was quicker and if I lost ANY traction for a second I was screwed....

Onyx Black, M6

From other local boards:
    Quote Originally Posted by S2000 driver
    dude your car hauls ass...lol. LS1 FTW. Next time you see me I should be at 16psi or so...better get me soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruader driver
    Pretty much an accurate description. I had traction issues and I need to figure out a way to get the trans moving faster. Waiting for the convertor to flash sucks.
    Just to keep the calling of BS down to a minimum...

Sounds like you have a factory freak. Those cars should have pulled you easy, they must have had some issues. That's the beauty of being stock I guess, nothing to worry about. Nice job.

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Sounds like you have a factory freak. Those cars should have pulled you easy, they must have had some issues. That's the beauty of being stock I guess, nothing to worry about. Nice job.
    Both owners of both cars are meticulous about their rides (have known them each for at least 6 years)...I would doubt problems on either of them honestly, but anything's possible I guess.

Onyx Black, M6

BTW Superluminal.....I love the LS1 240's....sounds wicked by your sig.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    Both owners of both cars are meticulous about their rides (have known them each for at least 6 years)...I would doubt problems on either of them honestly, but anything's possible I guess.

I would tend to agree with something isnt right, 374whp in a 2800lbs car should have walked you, peaky or not. The gearing in a s2000 is setup for peaky because thats how honda engines are, the s2000 comes with 4.10s. As for 450rwhp 4100lbs vs 320rwhp 3700lbs thats just silly if he didnt pull you. But a wins a win good races
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-13-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

did you get any vids by chance? sounds like some preety fast cars

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    did you get any vids by chance? sounds like some preety fast cars
    nah...wish I had. Not to mention it was like 50 degrees outside...that pavement sure didnt want to hook...

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I would tend to agree with something isnt right, 374whp in a 2800lbs car should have walked you, peaky or not. The gearing in a s2000 is setup for peaky because thats how honda engines are, the s2000 comes with 4.10s. As for 450rwhp 4100lbs vs 320rwhp 3700lbs thats just silly if he didnt pull you. But a wins a win good races
    I agree with both of your statements....but again, per both gentlemen beforehand and after, cars were running correctly. The S2000 guy has stated on a local board that the only way he can explain it, and myself is the HUGE difference in torque and "area under the curve".....other than that IDK.

BTW Superluminal.....I love the LS1 240's....sounds wicked by your sig.
    It should be illegal how much fun you can have in an LS1 240. I like it better than my other one, even though its slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Maybe he's hiding the sneaky shot.

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Maybe he's hiding the sneaky shot.
    I wish...that WOULD explain it better...

I'm sure this race will happen again soon...again, the only point I was really making was how well the SS hung....I don't think I was out ahead in any of them except the very first one and it had to end prematurely.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I wish...that WOULD explain it better...

I'm sure this race will happen again soon...again, the only point I was really making was how well the SS hung....I don't think I was out ahead in any of them except the very first one and it had to end prematurely.
    We understand what your saying, but both those cars if setup and running properly would have raped you not just pulled ahead by a car or 2. In this case it seems you held your own and great job. But both those cars should be deep 12 second cars and as for a stock vert ss, well the best i have ever seen a ls1 vert run stock was a 13.4. 1 second in the 1/4miles doesnt look like a car or two, it looks like a bus length or two.

Good job on hanging with them though

Another reason I can't wrap my head around this is when my 240SX was bolt ons only, with an SR20DET, still on the factory turbo, I was hanging easy with lid/exhaust LS1 F-bodies from a roll. At this time my car was putting out about 250whp and twq. Seems strange that an S2K, which weighs about the same... and 371whp would have similar results.

Something is amiss. Those cars definately have some issues, but I will agree that your car is definatley a factory freak.

Do yourself a favor and take that thing down to the track, bone stock, and see what she'll run.

Onyx Black, M6

Update!!!!

Apparently the 37x HP numbers are his SAE corrected #'s, and the actualy numbers from the dynodynamics were a bit lower at ~33x ish.....that could explain a lot.

Still very proud of the SS though!

Can't wait to get some dyno and track #s with her.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

im with everyone else. if all the hp numbers that your saying are correct, those cars would be way faster than yours.. but NICE kill/run against cars with alot more hp
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

white
    2000 Z28

how much torque did the marauder put down. if they by chance have any dyno graphs that would be nice(i highly doubt it but then again they are your friends). the great thing about the whole lsx fam is the under the curve. yea we put solid peak numbers down from the get go for being 11 years old in an ls1(im talking release date time not year specific date). but our power and torque curve are solid from the get go aswell. i would assume the torqe played a major role in the s2000's part of the race. seeing as how the flywheel rating was 250. notice how much the hp numbers dropped when going from the fwhp to whp. i am confident the torque was 200 or less to the ground. basically a solid curve is what got you to fare so well against the other two cars. i just have a hard time believing the curve on the other vehicles are real steady inclines.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

pretty sure a turbo s2k would walk a stock SS

NBM
    99 TA

did the maurader happen to have an 03 cobra engine in it being driven by a fellow by the name of Lawdog?
    lol

Onyx Black, M6

Quote Originally Posted by WS6Rob View Post
    pretty sure a turbo s2k would walk a stock SS
    I can send you the link to the local site he's on and his screen name and real name if you'd like...

Guy's name in the Marauder is Andrew, goes by Drewstang on alot of boards.

I've had another run in with this Marauder since the original race, and I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the car too....this time (all I've added is a lid, not even a filter change so really nothing different) I still managed to jump the horn a bit (putting me to MAYBE a 1/2 car lead) and I ended up holding and stretching it to a full car with no signs of him pulling me back in. The thing is, I'm the only ruler he currently has....the car shows no CEL's and is not breaking up, and runs like a sewing machine...

We have a dyno day coming up soon so I'll know for sure regarding his car AND mine.

Thread Information