Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

THE WS6 THAT COULD

Thumbs up 2000 WS6 vs Mach 1

Ok first things first, I have a 2000 a4 ws6 with 38k completly stock besides the flowmaster exhaust that was already on the car when I bought it. So I am leaving the hot spot around town were all the Big Dogs and Imports hangout at, on one side you have about 30+ imports(rx7s,supras,350z,civics,etc... and ricers, and then on the other side you have about 20+domestics(ws6,ss,lightnings,cobras,vettes,gtos etc..... everyone having a good time until the cops come and break it all up. So onto the race I was heading back home from the scene and I'm at a stop light and I hear this bad ass rumble on side of me and I look to my right and its a ornage and black mach 1(manual) now I don't know if it was modded but the exhaust sounded very good it may have been stock but just like my self he has temp dealer tags so he had just purchased the car somtime ago, well I look at my gf in the passenger seat who has a stock 350z and has had a run in with a mach 1 and lets just it wasn't pretty lol, she is looking at me like this will be a tough race were rolling in first gear I ammediatley look down for that tcs button and turn that thing off. We are rolling at about 10-20mph from the light when the guy looks at me and nods his head forward like lets go so I'm ready he says 3 honks we take off even, I immediatley pull threw first I have him by a bumper, threw second he's at my rear bumper then by third I could see him pulling back to my passenger door and I'm in disbelife that he's hanging so close but that's were he stayed at my passenger door until we shut down at about 95 or 100ish.....we slow to match eachothers speed and we come to a red light(run 2) he's ready to launch and so am I I'm on the brake and letting it rev, it hits green and he spins a little but I'm instantly off because I have nitto drs and I'm an auto and he's a stick, well he spins and little and I hook I pull about a car from the dig by 2nd he's pulling back up by third I'm pulling away until we shut down we get to another light he rolls down the window and we exchange comments I say that's a nice mach and he replys that's a badass t/a and asks me if its stock I reply yes and he says his has a bassani exhaust or somthing like that and that he has never ran an ws6 and was pleased that his car hung so close he was a cool guy about the race we exchanged numbers to run at the track in the future and we went our seprate ways as im headed back to my house my gf says that was close your car has to have atleast 400hp and I say no its just an ls1 she smiles and says I thought he was going to beat you and I reply so did I for a second. All and all a good race and just making me have more respect for the machs now, don't underestimate them at all they are very quick from 0-90, the races took place late at night and there were no cars out on the road now I know people are going to say no way an a4 beat a manual mach but the a4 does pack a kick to.

Blue
    04 Mach 1

nice kill! machs are strong, but iguess not good enough this time!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Nice kill!! Mach 1's pull pretty hard at 100+ also...

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

nice kill, sounds like a close race. I think the F-bodies vs the 03/04 Mach 1's are a very even race. Definatley a drivers race.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

if the f-body has a nuts driver that has skills with an m6---im telling you its murder.....
    Last edited by mrr23; 12-27-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I hear the a4s are better from a dig than a roll anyhow, right?
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 11-29-2006 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I hear the a4s are better from a dig than a roll anyhow, right?
    Yeah. The A4 suffers the same problem that *nearly* every other auto in the world has. They lose more power than a manual due to having more rotating mass and inertia because of all the fluid. So, from a roll, a manual has a definite advantage. From a dig, the A4 will be consistent every time whereas the manual's take off is dependant upon driver skill.

If you really want to up your advantage out of the hole, you need to put a stall in that thing. You'll rip out of the hole and that may be the edge you'll need to hold off the healthier competition.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Good kill! Can't be slouchin' when a Mach is next to you!

black
    02 z28

say it's not so.......i thought ls1s are 12 sec cars...and mach 1s are lucky to get out of the 14s..........anyway, nice kill.....great story
    everyone repeat after me...... mach 1 = ls1 ...........almost
    02 z28 auto...13.1s@109mph on stock tires with 80+ temp....lid,filter,corsa cat back,hpp3.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60 View Post
    Yeah. The A4 suffers the same problem that *nearly* every other auto in the world has. They lose more power than a manual due to having more rotating mass and inertia because of all the fluid. So, from a roll, a manual has a definite advantage. From a dig, the A4 will be consistent every time whereas the manual's take off is dependant upon driver skill.

If you really want to up your advantage out of the hole, you need to put a stall in that thing. You'll rip out of the hole and that may be the edge you'll need to hold off the healthier competition.
    Also gearing has alot to do with it, the manual has 6 forward gears compared to 4 in the auto, so your race car benefits from going through and being in the power ban longer than the A4. And the M6 has lower rear end gears, which help in a drag race.
    Last edited by preston1980; 12-02-2006 at 07:06 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i raced a mach right after my lt install and was suprised at how well the guy hung with me. for like 2 sec. then i was gone. anywho nice kill, they are pretty much a drivers race stock for stock, but the ls1 will usually edge 'em every time :-)

Your auto is a GU5 ?

I had a Mach stay with me 60 ish to 110. then we slowed for traffic, they ain't no slouches.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    yes i noticed that...in my a4 40 is a dead spot...i just bought it so i didnt know that when i had a run in with an stage 1 srt-4 and he did 3 honks and took off on the 2nd horn he was scared..from about 40 and he pulled on me and i was like wtf
    But the tcs was on and i was at a dead spot in rpm, we went again from a 20 roll and well you can guess who won.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    also i am hearing that the 96-98 cobras have the same engine as the mach? is this not true because i raced a 97 Cobra and it was a blowout theres no way it has the same engine as the mach.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    some guys on here say i should get a stall but is a stall good for daily driving? maybe a 3000

Blue
    04 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by WHITECAMAROLT1 View Post
    also i am hearing that the 96-98 cobras have the same engine as the mach? is this not true because i raced a 97 Cobra and it was a blowout theres no way it has the same engine as the mach.
    no. The blocks may be the same but that is it. The heads and cams are the same the 03 cobra. The crank is forged steel for the 5s and the rods and pistons are not. The comp. ratio is also higher at 10.1:1

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Mustang View Post
    no. The blocks may be the same but that is it. The heads and cams are the same the 03 cobra. The crank is forged steel for the 5s and the rods and pistons are not. The comp. ratio is also higher at 10.1:1
    ^^What he said. Not the same motor at all. The Mach 1 4.6 is probably the best N/A Ford modular motor ever made, its got the DOHC valvetrain/cams from the 03-04 Cobra, just without the blower. They also sound awesome and have good modding potential.

The weird thing about the forged crank is how only the 5 speed manual cars have it. The A4's don't have the forged crank. I don't know why Ford did that, seems totally pointless to have two different cranks between the auto and manual.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

WHITE CAMARO---definately get a stall---you lose a lil mileage from one but you wont even care once you figure out how to take advandage of the stall speed...3000 rpm is an ok stall but if you go with a big cam in the future you want a larger stall to accommodate your higher powerband.... and get a tranny cooler......

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    ^^What he said. Not the same motor at all. The Mach 1 4.6 is probably the best N/A Ford modular motor ever made, its got the DOHC valvetrain/cams from the 03-04 Cobra, just without the blower. They also sound awesome and have good modding potential.

The weird thing about the forged crank is how only the 5 speed manual cars have it. The A4's don't have the forged crank. I don't know why Ford did that, seems totally pointless to have two different cranks between the auto and manual.
    You learn something new everyday, Why is this? Why would Ford only forge some and not others? Anyone?

Thread Information