Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    2001 WS6, 2003 SRT4(sold)

'03 SRT-4 Stg1 vs '01 WS6 = Tie?

What gives? Read on.

I own a stage 1 SRT-4 and '01 WS6 with flowmasters and a short throw shifter. I had someone else drive my SRT-4 and I "raced" my own SRT-4 on the highway.

The result? The Stage 1 SRT-4 is equal in performance to the WS6 at least until the top of 3rd gear. Needless to say, this is highly disappointing. We did not broach 4th gear for safety reasons (traffic).

I wanted to sell my SRT-4, but now I have reservations. If my paid-for SRT-4 with its mere $300 upgrade of bigger fuel injectors and a new PCM can keep pace with my mostly unmodified WS6 beat, why have the WS6? I know there's lots of potential locked away in the WS6 but I will not be investing thousands of dollars into it. I was thinking of putting on a real catback exhaust like magnaflow (I know flowmasters are worthless) and a SLP lid, but now I am so down on the whole idea that I want to get rid of the WS6.

My point with this post is that I want someone to tell me what in the heck could be going on here mechanically. The WS6 is in virtually flawless condition, only runs 93 octane and just did a course of GM's fuel treatment plus about two gas tanks ago, and has only has 29700 miles on it.
    Last edited by RandomOmen; 01-14-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Arctic White
    2001 WS.6

There are about 2 million factors that can determine the outcome of a race. Maybe your buddy is a better driver.

I knew someone would say that.

She's not the better driver, and certainly not on the SRT-4 since it was my daily driver and racer for three years. There's all sorts of tricks to drive the SRT-4 to its fullest potential and she knows none of them. Anyway, you'll note that I asked mechanically since I tried to avoid the whole "driver mod" subject.

Arctic White
    2001 WS.6

Well in that case I'd check the muffler bearings. I lost to a SRT-4 once thats what the problem was.

green
    98 formula

you are comparing apples to oranges when you take a lighter car to a heavy car the lighter one has an edge really if you want to sell it then sell it but the srt4 will always be a neon and even though its not a honda its still a ricer

No one has anything valid to say?

Arctic White
    2001 WS.6

Well what do you want us to say? You want us to find a mechanical problem with your car without seeing it. How can we do that only knowing that you tied when racing a SRT-4. We know nothing of the driving abilities of either driver or how much power either car is actually putting out. What about tire pressure? Air temp? I'm not sure what you want to hear. I'm sure your car is fine. Just because it didn't blow the doors off of a moded SRT-4 doesn't mean there is something mechanically wrong with your car.

Give me a break, man. I am looking to read similar experiences to see if my situation was extraordinary. That's it. My post was to "feel" what the environment is, per se, about stock 01-02 LS1s to stage 1 srt-4s. There's bound to be plenty of dual owners on here seeing as the entire world has access and how common both cars are. I was hoping to read some informative (or at least decently polite) posts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

All, I can say is I'm still fully stock. Pulled up to an srt-4 a few months ago and dusted him. Poor guy didn't stand a chance. I've heard a few of our cars came off the line monsters though. I know all WS6's are underrated, but some are close to 400 hp at the flywheel. Not sure why you had a problem with an srt-4.

green
    98 formula

i was being polite i just said if you wanted to sell it then do it i can say my 01 ss would handle a slightly modded srt4 and my 98 would destroy one really it sounds like you are wanting someone else to decide what to do with the ws6 and that is when you get opinions weather you like them or not if you are in love with the neon trade the ws6 for a truck then when you mod the hell outta the ricer you have something to tow it to the track with i suggest a honda ridgeline im sure they are far better trucks than a chevy,ford , or dodge and 1 my opinion i would rather drive a slow v-8 than a fast 4

red
    2000 ws6

my friend has an srt4 when he was stock ls1 pulls on 3rd gear i have an a4 so matter where you start the race from...maybe your starting in the srt4's gear at 40 my car is slow i caught him later at 25 i own him srt4's are good cars off the roll race off the hole

Silver
    2002 Firebird Formula

dude the srt has the injectors put some headers and a catback see how fast that skittle is

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullit1972 View Post
    dude the srt has the injectors put some headers and a catback see how fast that skittle is
    lol. skittle....only heard that a few times, I wouldnt get to bent out of shape, put a turbo on the t/a and see how they compare. jk. mildly modded and the neon wont stand a chance with only stg 1 upgrades. heard of some with stg 3 upgrades hitting low 11's. they are light cars with Forced induction, with mods I have only seen a couple but they did hit 11.89 in 1/4. and 11.9... I dont think they would be capable of much more though. We all know that the LS1 has got alot more in it than high 11's with the right mods and alot of cash.
    Last edited by Wheeler99WS6; 01-15-2007 at 06:01 AM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

from a finacial point of view, i think you'd be better of selling the t/a. If you don't like a car, you never will, so you may aswell part ways with it and sell it to someone who will enjoy it.

But don't be surprised when the owner calls you up 2 months later and owns you in a street race

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

Any srt4 i have ran in my 01 formula, hasn't stood a chance, it's horrible hearing the effort they try to put in there shifting thinking they will get a jump ahead and you only hear the sound of a clutch struggling to grab the flywheel.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Any way that you look at it dude...its still a NEON. A trans am is damn sexxy when compared to that pocket rocket of yours. Besides your trying to compare a moded SRT4 vs. basically stock Firebird. Put on an SLP lid, get a K&N filter. Then see how your SRT4 Fairs against this lightly modded bird

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I've got a button a stuff done to mine, pretty much everything short of a lower end rebuild, new valves/springs, and forced induction. Any pocket rocket doesnt stand a chance unless they are running insane amounts of boost. But if you are a true NEON lover, just sell the WS6 and let someone who will appreciate it have it. Like 3rd shift said, dont be surprised if he comes back in 2 months and owns you.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

Oh, one more thing...no need to get butt hurt...you wanted honest results, you got them. Dont get all hurt because you didnt like what they told you.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

IMO, stock SRT4s are low 14 cars in the 1/4, stock T/As are mid 13s. Throw more mods on the SRT4 than on the T/A to level the playing field and you are surprized they run pretty even?? (not to mention that the top of 3rd and 4th is where the HP advantage of the T/A vs aero-drag will make the T/A shine...... and you didn't even explore that territory). The outcome of your "experiment" doesn't surprize me at all. Also, boosted cars are ALWAYS cheaper to get big gains than on a N/A car. It's your trade-off to make.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Arctic White Hardtop
    '98 Formula M6

My buddy owns an SRT4. hes got a boost controller, bigger intercooler, coilovers and motor mounts. I've yet to race him in my formula but but i did catch him... 1 out of 3 times in my fathers twinturbo 2.7 Audi A6, which was a great car... until I wrapped it around a tree. (the audi) .
    Last edited by Secret Formula; 01-15-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Thread Information