Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

02 TransAm vs 06ish STi

so im on US40 on teh way home from school tonight and i see an 06ish STi roll by me, i catch up with him and try to get him to bite and eventually he does but i wasnt ready, so i get back up with him and teach him the "1, 2, GO!" rule. We go 4 times and we both split 2 each, pretty much who ever got the jump stayed ahead and kept pulling slowly. Each run was done from btw 55 and 65 to the top of my second gear (2.73=95ish) after about 90i started pulling on him even though he had been ahead but we both shut down b/c traffic was comin up. I ask him what hes got done and he says its stock but when his turbo was spoolin it was crazy loud. idk i was suprised it was as close as it was. i know from a dig when properly luanched they eat us alive but highwy speeds i thought we had a edge.
    A4 (2.73 gears), Magnaflow cat-back, Lid, filter, tb bypass, P&P TB

13.504@104.376

Quote Originally Posted by thiscatiskool View Post
    so im on US40 on teh way home from school tonight and i see an 06ish STi roll by me, i catch up with him and try to get him to bite and eventually he does but i wasnt ready, so i get back up with him and teach him the "1, 2, GO!" rule. We go 4 times and we both split 2 each, pretty much who ever got the jump stayed ahead and kept pulling slowly. Each run was done from btw 55 and 65 to the top of my second gear (2.73=95ish) after about 90i started pulling on him even though he had been ahead but we both shut down b/c traffic was comin up. I ask him what hes got done and he says its stock but when his turbo was spoolin it was crazy loud. idk i was suprised it was as close as it was. i know from a dig when properly luanched they eat us alive but highwy speeds i thought we had a edge.
    He was probably bolt ons with upped boost and a tune. If he were stock you'd have pulled him from a roll. Did you get caught in a dead spot with your A4?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

i know its AWD but even from a dig you should get a jump with all your torque and the fact that he probably doesn't hit full boost till almost 4 grand

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

He was not stock. There is no possible way a "stock" '06 STi can hang with an LS1 from a roll. Even if your rolling with 2.73's, your mods will make up for that. I doubt even my car as it sits (intake & TBE on stock boost and un-tuned) would hang with a stock LS1 from a higher roll. My car will pull on the new Mustang GT's and is about even with the Charger R/T Daytona's from a roll. I'd like to find a stock LS1 to do a fun run with, but stock ones are hard to find here in Chicago.

But if you heard his turbo over, your modded car and he's supposed to be stock.. something should be going in your head that something isn't right

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

sorry the Charger Daytona had an intake, and exhaust as well. I tried to edit the post, but for some reason it wouldn't let me.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Did you get caught in a dead spot with your A4?
    no not really, i messed around afterwards and anywhere from 60-70 when it downshifted i was planted in my seat firmly. He didnt seem like he wanted to talk too much about his car, i know his front end lifted up pretty firmly when he nailed it, so i had no doubt he was making some power.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Thats odd. I wtfpwned an 06+ STI on the freeway. I had At LEAST 5 car lengths up to 140. Started at 60.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by thiscatiskool View Post
    no not really, i messed around afterwards and anywhere from 60-70 when it downshifted i was planted in my seat firmly. He didnt seem like he wanted to talk too much about his car, i know his front end lifted up pretty firmly when he nailed it, so i had no doubt he was making some power.
    he was just modded and upset that he coulsn't waste you.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    +1 i beat 06 sti when i had my bone stock lt1 6 speed trans am
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Eric1987, the higher the speeds the worse off the STI will be. The 4WD system doesnt do well at high speeds and the car falls short after 100mph. Not to say its not fast after 100 but definitly not as fast as the LS1 at those speeds. Best example i got is i raced a older model S4 the turbo ones i think it was a 01 model. He would take off so fast my eyes would pop open, i was amazed and respected how well he would just take off.

I give that guy much respect because he did not want to race me off the line and he had several chances and i wouldve gone win or lose. He waited to get to about 20 mph and then went and we were dead even all the way to the top of my 3rd gear. As soon as we got on the highway and i started in 3rd to the top of 4th in my LT1 93 Z he fell flat on his face and i was shocked as to how different the outcome was. I pulled about 4-5 cars to about 115-120 mph. So racing on the streets and highway will result two completely different outcomes and hard to judge which car is faster when racing from a dig or low speeds.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    +1

No way he was even close to stock.

My friend has an STi, you barely hear the turbo at all.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

Sweet thanks guys for the feed back, its definitely a confidence booster, i dont get many races so when i do its a rush. Ive almost got enough money saved up for some LT and a Y pipe, so hopefully by the end of summer i should have them on, and i also took my two 12" subs out of my car (subs and amp=52lbs) its not much but every bit helps right.

primer grey
    1990 fox mustang gt

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    i know its AWD but even from a dig you should get a jump with all your torque and the fact that he probably doesn't hit full boost till almost 4 grand
    yeah but they can launch at 4k+

red
    2000 camaro ss

stis are beat for anything but dirt.
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Body View Post
    yeah but they can launch at 4k+
    try 5500

Arctic White, red/gray

Oh and a tuned sti will hit peak boost at 2700rpms, that being said they is no way a bone stock STI will pull any ls1 car from a roll race.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-11-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

but if you're gonna launch that high in the rpm then your first gear is basically gone.
    I thought turbos were half track cars, I can't see them falling on their face at 100 (not like they haven't) i'm just saying

Arctic White, red/gray

but if you're gonna launch that high in the rpm then your first gear is basically gone.
    I thought turbos were half track cars, I can't see them falling on their face at 100 (not like they haven't) i'm just saying
    The STI tranny is actually pretty strong, i have seen it hold 500whp with just a clutch pretty well. The stock turbos are more for drivability, so they hit peak boost very fast im making 330crank trq at 2900rpms in my legacy. But the boost tapers off at higher rpms, you can get a different solenoid and turbo and hold peak bosot till redline if you want. I hit peak boost at 2800-2900rpms which 17-18psi and at redline 7000-7200rpms im at 11-12psi.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-12-2009 at 08:31 AM.

Onyx Black, M6
    2001 SS Convertible #4498

The STi transmission was, I heard, designed in part by a little known owned Fuji Heavy Industries company....known as Caterpillar...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    The STi transmission was, I heard, designed in part by a little known owned Fuji Heavy Industries company....known as Caterpillar...
    Considering that Fuji Heavy Industry doesn't even own Caterpillar, thats not possible.

Thread Information