Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

00 ss vs 96 or 97 ss

i met this guy who has a 96 or 97 ss with full bolt ons, 3.73 gears, and a dyno tune and it puts down 360 at the crank and about 340 to the wheels. i was just wanting to get opinions on which would be faster. mine is a 2000 ss lt's, cai, pulleys, and exhaust.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by camarospade View Post
    i met this guy who has a 96 or 97 ss with full bolt ons, 3.73 gears, and a dyno tune and it puts down 360 at the crank and about 340 to the wheels. i was just wanting to get opinions on which would be faster. mine is a 2000 ss lt's, cai, pulleys, and exhaust.
    are you m6 or a4 ? what tires are you running ? what tires is he running ?

98' trans am

you should beat him ..but he has better gearing so it will be close

The best way to know is just race him and find out

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

A bolt on lt1 car will not put down 340whp, if it has a lt4 it might do it. You should win

We never did the, (what if this or what if that) sort of thing when I was growing up. We just lined up and raced what ya' brung and hope you had enough
    Hell 99% of the time we didn't bother to ask what was under the hood,,,we just lined em' up and went.

white
    2000 Z28

pulling your leg with the numbers unless he omitted something from his mod list. 360 fwhp(flywheel hp) will never get you 340 rwhp in any 4th gen, m6 or not. im sure the car does run strong, but without a cam it wont hit 340 whp. if he honestly makes 340 to the ground that car is more like 391 with 15% drivetrain loss. 360 fwhp is 306 to the ground again assuming it has 15% dt loss. yours is probably 300hp give or take 5 or so. close race with him getting the jump and probably staying ahead til probably 90mph. and you start to reel him in. if you catch him depends on how high the race goes. the 3.73s and low end tq of an lt1 gets the jump. ls1 makes good mid and high rpm power when compared to lt1 but that is stock for stock.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    We never did the, (what if this or what if that) sort of thing when I was growing up. We just lined up and raced what ya' brung and hope you had enough
    Hell 99% of the time we didn't bother to ask what was under the hood,,,we just lined em' up and went.
    well that was during the 20s ....now a days its different

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    well that was during the 20s ....now a days its different
    I can always count on you Shady....

Ya I guess everyone nowadays is worried. If I pulled along someone that told me they were modded with a lid I'd be skeeeered

98' trans am

I can always count on you Shady....

Ya I guess everyone nowadays is worried. If I pulled along someone that told me they were modded with a lid I'd be skeeeered
    around my area i never get a chance to talk to the person...we just do it....i could care less if i loose...going to the drag strip during test and tune with a stockish t/a and racing 10-11 second classic muscle cars beat that "scared/embarrassed to loose" non-sense right out

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    around my area i never get a chance to talk to the person...we just do it....i could care less if i loose...going to the drag strip during test and tune with a stockish t/a and racing 10-11 second classic muscle cars beat that "scared/embarrassed to loose" non-sense right out
    Yes sir. Same here. Don't care if I loose, and rarely get a chance to talk, since it happens on a whim anyway. It's all just fun anyway,,,right??

Besides, if you've been around long enough (insert joke here ) you can pretty much see a car, hear it run and get a pretty good idea how it's going to run most of the time.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-13-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

we're gonna race but he has to get his ujoints fixed he said. we're going to the track friday but i'm gonna try and get him to run. i'm not afraid to lose i just thought 340 was high for bolt on lt1

98' trans am

we're gonna race but he has to get his ujoints fixed he said. we're going to the track friday but i'm gonna try and get him to run. i'm not afraid to lose i just thought 340 was high for bolt on lt1
    you are correct...too high for just a bolt on ..and thank you for racing from a dig ...it is the only true way to do it.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I had 3 full bolt on LT1's and be lucky to hit 290 rwhp. Only way a LT1 will pull those numbers is with a cam or some nitrous. He will keep up initially but you will pull and keep pulling.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

The best way to know is just race him and find out
    AMEN........ This needs to be said in every thread asking "who will win question"......... Simple race them and find out. Heck that is have of the fun finding out..

white black stripes
    1996 camaro ss

96-97 ss

stock 2000 runs 13.9@102 while a stock 96 ss will run 13.4@106 thats with m6 3.42 gears. i know you ls1 guys dont like to hear that but the numbers dont lie.i do agree hp numbers are bull though.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by dans96ss View Post
    stock 2000 runs 13.9@102 while a stock 96 ss will run 13.4@106 thats with m6 3.42 gears. i know you ls1 guys dont like to hear that but the numbers dont lie.i do agree hp numbers are bull though.
    Can I have some of those drugs you're taking, please? I like to lose sight of reality every now and then, and whatever you are taking is obviously doing the deed for you.

Thanks.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Oh ya....and this....

Just read the top, disregard the junk on the bottom.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

340 at the wheels does not equal 360 at the crank, and vice-versa. If he is a "bolt-on" car, then the motor has never been out of it, and he has absolutely no way of knowing what the car makes at the flywheel. He can guestimate based on a chassis dyno's number, but 340 RWHP equates to ~390 at the flywheel. Oh, and that's not possible with an LT1 that has nothing but "bolt-ons", unless one of those "bolt-ons" is a little bottle oxygen-enhancing performance.

All that points to a bunch of BS. The guy is either lying about his mods, lying about how much power he makes, or.....he's just lying all the way around.

If he is what he says, and you can both get traction, you'll beat him fairly handily.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by dans96ss View Post
    Dude, alot of us owned lt1 cars before the ls1 cars, i owned a 96 formula. For the record my 2000 T/A ran a 13.3 stock and was much faster than my 96. The ls1 is a better engine and only die hard lt1 owners say otherwise. The record for a ls1 f-body stock is 12.8 you will never see that out of a bone stock lt1 car. Did you run a 13.4 in your 96 ss stock? I bet not

I guess it would make sense that the ls1 car with 300+whp is trapping 4mph slower than the lt1 car that would be lucky to pull 265whp stock when they both have simular drivetrains and weight. LOL
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-13-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Thread Information