Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

R1 Concepts review

I ordered a full set of rotors and pads through Kevin at R1. I was stoked to be ordering fresh stuff!

No longer excited about it.

Experience and customer service has been less than stellar so far. It hasn't been bad, just not great. If you're looking to buy through R1, make sure you know exactly what you want. I've been out of the car scene for a while, so my memory on this stuff is foggy. I explained in my original post, and a couple different ways through PM looking for explanation and guidance to making the right choice on the pads, and didn't get much help. I ended up having to go through this post history to look at people who have bought them, and PM them to find out the differences.

I was billed for $480 - paid it.

Got another bill this evening saying he didn't realize I was in California, so got another bill for $40 for sales tax. No apology, even though it states I live in Sacramento right next to my name here and in PM. I totally understand mistakes happen. But overall the experience has been extremely transactional and honestly feel like a burden for asking questions based on the response I got.

I'm sure the products are fantastic based on everyone's experience and personal feedback I got, but I had to give my honest feedback on the customer service side. I'll update this review once I get them installed and broken in on the quality and performance, along with pictures.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Interesting - I have placed two orders through R1 Concepts and everything has been great. Even had to contact them about the correct part number to ensure that I was ordering the correct pads for my truck and that was all good too. Sorry your experience was not as good. Did I respond to your original inquiry and recommend the Hawk HPS pads?

This being said, you should be very pleased with the results once you get everything bolted up. It was a night and day difference in stopping power for our car.

That sucks you had that experience. I bought E Line Rotors and Hawk pads through them about a year or so go. No issues what so ever. I missed a 10% off sale by about a week and Kevin still offered up the discount to me.

I love the set up! Stopping power is GREATLY improved. And I got rid of the vibration my cheap BS stock rotors gave me. Rotors look great too. Still as shiny and clean as when I took them out of the box. Of course my car never sees rain and is garaged all Winter.

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Interesting - I have placed two orders through R1 Concepts and everything has been great. Even had to contact them about the correct part number to ensure that I was ordering the correct pads for my truck and that was all good too. Sorry your experience was not as good. Did I respond to your original inquiry and recommend the Hawk HPS pads?

This being said, you should be very pleased with the results once you get everything bolted up. It was a night and day difference in stopping power for our car.
    Hey Jeff, I did talk to you and a couple others and went with your advice as it was exactly what I needed to hear.

I do want to reiterate that the experience wasn't bad. I just couldn't get the help I needed. Then the second bill for the sales tax on top of everything was just the icing on the cake. Mistakes happen! But with all of it combined, it took me from being extremely excited for the purchase and product to kind of a "meh" feeling.

I totally appreciate the discount offering and sponsor setup for everyone here, it was astounding for the price. I also got responses within 24 hours as well, so I applaud that. I should have included the good as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post

Last edited by pajeff02; 05-15-2015 at 03:11 AM.

Astounding for the price? Well it used to be.

I bought 4 drilled and slotted E-line coated rotors and their ceramic pads to do the whole car and it was $180 shipped to my door. I liked them so much I ordered another complete set to do the whole car (another 4th gen we had), and again $180 shipped to my door.

Now it's like 5 times the price it used to be and it's forced me to look elsewhere.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

$180 for rotors and pads for all four corners? Good grief, man! I'm curious: did you find a good deal "elsewhere"?
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Astounding for the price? Well it used to be.

I bought 4 drilled and slotted E-line coated rotors and their ceramic pads to do the whole car and it was $180 shipped to my door. I liked them so much I ordered another complete set to do the whole car (another 4th gen we had), and again $180 shipped to my door.

Now it's like 5 times the price it used to be and it's forced me to look elsewhere.
    It was $700 before the 20% discount for us.

LOL Damn!! I have 10 cars here, if I had to spend $700 every time one of them needed a brake job I'd be living in them down by the river, lol. They've gotten really expensive really fast. I'll do stock blanks and pads before I spend that kind of money for brakes on one car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe I spent around $450 for R1 Concepts Premium Drilled/Slotted Rotors coupled with the HPS pads on all four corners 2 years ago.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I spent $580 for my setup but I have c6 z06 14" premium drilled rotors in the front with cts-v hp+ pads and the same but for normal fbody brakes in the back. I guess normally that setup is close to $900. I must say they are quality pieces for sure. I'll definitely buy from them again. I'd say their Eline stuff is definitely a bargain but their performance stuff is much more expensive as it should be for its intended purpose.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Thread Information