pewter met
    01 ss camaro

Nelson Performance......................

I currently have a Nelson tune in my camaro. Basically the car has 4:11 gears SS4000 yank converter, Thunder Racing 230/224 cam, and headers. Once I got the tune put in my car the car would Idle inconsistently and die alot, not to mention be all over the board when it came consistency at the track! It would vary 3 tenths from round to round and constently search for idle, warm or cold. I contacted Nelson Performance and no one answered so I left a message, this went on for about a week and a half, and when I first started using them the service wasn't that bad. I wanted to get my car fixed because it was really annoying and I was wasting money trying to race with a car that would not run even close to it's dial. So I went to Clint at A.I.R. performance, he put my car on the dyno but couldn't fix the tune because it was LOCKED!!!!!!!!!!! So when Nelson Performance called me back I asked if he could just send me the same tune unlocked so I could have clint fix the imperfections-NOPE he wont do that he will only send a stock tune back to me unlocked. Texas speed and Thunder racing both told me that they don't lock their tunes!! So not only will alan not call you back but if you try to fix the car by yourself your FUCKED!!!!!!!!! So I ended up reving the car up and unplugging the idle control motor by the throttle body so my car would stop idling like a retard, oh and by the way if your having trouble with consistency you should try it!! Thanks Nelson! This winter I will be buying a MS4 and a Texas Speed tune!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, a mail order tune for a cam/converter swap is never going to be great. Meant to get you safely in the ballpark IMO.

Now, I cant stand it when tuners, ecspecially a mail order tuner, locks a PCM. I hav honestly never heard of a mail order tuner lock the PCM. That doesnt make much sense.

For future builds, dont do a mail order for heads/cam swaps, its never going to be perfect.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Well, a mail order tune for a cam/converter swap is never going to be great. Meant to get you safely in the ballpark IMO.

Now, I cant stand it when tuners, ecspecially a mail order tuner, locks a PCM. I hav honestly never heard of a mail order tuner lock the PCM. That doesnt make much sense.

For future builds, dont do a mail order for heads/cam swaps, its never going to be perfect.
    i was under the impression that mail order tunes for internals were meant to limp the car to a closer tuner to get a better feel of the car and tune it properly. sounds like that company needs to unlock their tunes and inform customers of the best way to get a good tune, whether its datalogging for a distant tuner or up close and personal with a local tuner.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

From what I understand, he locks the ones that pay for a lifetime tune. That seems fair. Why have someone else screw up his tune. Then try to go back and have them fix it.

Non-lifetime isn't locked.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    From what I understand, he locks the ones that pay for a lifetime tune. That seems fair. Why have someone else screw up his tune. Then try to go back and have them fix it.

Non-lifetime isn't locked.
    That makes more sense.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Ed is correct. If you buy a lifetime tune it is locked. Of course it is. Some butt monkeys would try and buy a tune then install it another car on top of the original car....now that wouldn't be fair to anybody now would it?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Ed is correct. If you buy a lifetime tune it is locked. Of course it is. Some butt monkeys would try and buy a tune then install it another car on top of the original car....now that wouldn't be fair to anybody now would it?
    I had no idea that they even offered a lifetime tune.

OP, if you bought the lifetime tune this all makes sense.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sure Nelson offers a lifetime tune with no charge for changes to the tune. I am very suspect of somebody coming on here and making one post and leaving. I smell Troll. Nelson has been in business for a long time and has thousands of tunes and very happy customers. Guy is all about customer service. Actions speak louder than words. Then this guy comes on here ...makes one post and leaves....think anybody is pimping maybe? I do.

pewter met
    01 ss camaro

First off i didnt just get on here post and leave. When i asked for just the same tune unlocked he would not do it. If it is a lifetime tune then why wouldnt they just cancel the lifetime tune and send me that tune unlocked so we could all be happy. All they would send me back is just a stock tune. The shift points are perfect the car just wont idle or run without surging its self to death so i wanted to have a local tuner fix that problem only and not mess with anything else such as the transmission and ect. we could not even get a call back.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by rick522vx View Post
    ...If it is a lifetime tune then why wouldnt they just cancel the lifetime tune and send me that tune unlocked so we could all be happy...
    Did you ask for that?

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I've dealt with Nelson also and never had an issue. I ordered his E-Fan wiring harness for my truck and he sat on the phone with me for almost 1/2 hour helping me with an install issue. I have a feeling this may just be a misunderstanding.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

pewter met
    01 ss camaro

Yes i did ask and all he would send back unlocked was a stock tune, which wasnt alot of help if i still wanted all the other settings like the transmission shift points. i had to send the tune back once for the shift points before because it hit the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd gear which he fixed right away. that is why i didnt want just a stock tune back i didnt want to have to go through that again.

Thread Information