Thread: Top Care

1998 Firebird Formula

Top Care

When i bought my 99 TA vert, the owner(my dad) had let it sit in the street for at least 7+ months with out touch it, so long story short durt built up on it and caused massive dammage to the paint and i think it might be mold and dirt have molded with the convertable top. so i was wondering if there is some cleaning chmical for the tops that will at least clean the dirt off or if there is some way i can fix this.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Real important that you don't get too enthusiastic with cleaning your top. Get the kit from Ragg Topp or 303. You can find them on Amazon or elsewhere on the net. You didn't mention if you have a vinyl or cloth top. The kits are specific to the type of top so get the right one. These are two part kits cleaner/protectant.

Use the cleaner gently several times then let it dry and clean it again. Make sure you use a soft bristle brush on the top and be especially gentle along the edges and stitches. At some point in the cleaning process open the trunk and get the area that goes below the forward edge of the trunk lid.

If the top isn't coming clean by that time or you see a lot of damage it may be time for a new top. Mildew and mold will destroy a top in no time if left dirty.

If the top is clean enough and you are ready to use the protectant, make sure it is completely dry then mask off your paint and windows and apply several coats per the instructions. This will really help keep your top clean but needs to be repeated every few months.

Shouldn't have to say it but I will. Never ever run your convertible through a car wash. The chemicals and spray power are not good for the top. Also, don't use cleaners with wax in them or soap that is not specifically for cars.

If you find you have a stain that won't come out with the cleaners (Ragg Topp or 303) you can use a stain remover for clothing as long as it does not have any bleach products.

Good luck!

1998 Firebird Formula

Hey thanks man I appreciate the advice.

Thread Information