red
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

shattered rear window

ok, so heres what happened. i have a 2000 camaro ss conv. and today my reaer window shattered. i went and started my car to let it warm up cause i live in chicago and unfortunetly i have to keep my car outside. when i started it i let the heat run and turned on my rear defrost. i went back outside about 10 minutes later and just before i grabbed the door handle i heard a pop. i looked and didn't see anyone, then realized it was my window shattering. i was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen. i don't know what caused it to shatter. its all intact still, but just spider-webbed.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I never heard anything about the vert windows doing that, but a friend of mine that does auto glass said he has heard of coupes with shorted out defroster wires getting the window very hot and when people hit big bumps in the road it shatter the rear window from the extra hot wires stressing the window. I'd imagine if it happened whe you opened the door the pressure change could have done it your defroster wires were damaged.

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by amitc31100 View Post
    ok, so heres what happened. i have a 2000 camaro ss conv. and today my reaer window shattered. i went and started my car to let it warm up cause i live in chicago and unfortunetly i have to keep my car outside. when i started it i let the heat run and turned on my rear defrost. i went back outside about 10 minutes later and just before i grabbed the door handle i heard a pop. i looked and didn't see anyone, then realized it was my window shattering. i was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen. i don't know what caused it to shatter. its all intact still, but just spider-webbed.
    exact same thing happened to mine, but I've had problems with my window from the very first day it rolled off the showroom floor with 7 miles on it. Took some arguing to get the dealer to replace it, but they did and stated on the work order that "Defroster malfunctioned causing rear window to overheat and shatter".

red
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

yea, i would bring it into the dealer but i have not had good experiences with the dealer. my dad thought that it might have been the perssure from openning the door but it shattered just before i opened the door, so i didn't actually touch the car to cause it to shatter, just happened to be next to it.

Thread Information