Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

New Drop Top owner

Picked up a clean 2001 Trans Am for a daily driver and have been reading up here, so decided to join. Hope to be able to contribute as well.

Thanks

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Kyle

black
    1998 trans am convertible

Welcome!! But should consider a move now to sw florida where top goes down 365 days as mine has for 267k miles. No better way to travel. Enjoy enjoy!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site! Any plans for the car?

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Tried to post this awhile back, but it never came through, so here it is with some updates.

Some basic plans for now since I think the only mod is the SLP airbox lid.

Catback since exhaust is still stock. Just a little more rumble and some nice tips to fill the bumper cutouts. --Now I have a pair of stainless 3.5 tips and a hooker aerochamber in the garage to be installed.

Get the PCM tuned. Still looking to find where i want to go through. Just a basic mail order to get p0410 code removed and get a little of GM left on the table. -- Done some research and thinking either customls1tuning or frost

New wheels and tires. Thinking 17x8 with 245 45 17. Would like something simple and good ride since it will be my commuter 135 miles a day. - - Ended up with 18x8.5 oewheels C6 in black chrome and some 245 45 18 tires

Subframe connectors. I think UMI. Likely put a cheap ebay strut tower brace just because i always to on these. Prolly does nothing, but makes ya think something is improved. -- Got the cheap STB on(prolly paint it black soon) and the UMI weld-in 2 point connector with the bolt on kit should be on my porch waiting for me now

Cheap seat covers and floormats to protect the clean interior. -- Cheap floormats are in, but the seat covers dont fit for crap and since the leather just started showing age, i decided to buy some cheap ebay seats and brackets to try. If I dont like em I can use them in another one of the vehicles

Maybe a hood, but this paint is not cheap with it being the blue-green chameleon. -- Hood plus $475 for paint means this will be on hold

Tint the windows. -- Still in the works

Down the road when it gets to toy status I want to do an M6 conversion but will be keeping an eye out to stockpile the parts for that day in the future.

Deleted the windshield visors.

Got almost 3,000 miles on it in a month and am glad i chose this over some new tiny lil gas getter

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Got the UMI connects in, but need to tighten rear LCA bolt on the pass side for sure. Got the clunk. Nice product and good fit for sure though.

Trying some ebay seats and low pro brackets, but the passenger sits high still and they did not slide back any further like I hoped. Also was misled by a youtube video and have the sliders installed upside down so the lever does not slide with seat. I do like sitting in them and they offer some better shoulder support hip feels nice to hold you. They may stay or may go, but the cost to run em for awhile is low enough I am satisfied.

Few pics of it half clean...

2001 Trans Am Vert

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Right on, man. I like having a vert. After owning one, I'm not sure the additional rigidity of a coupe is worthwhile. The drop top really makes pleasure drives more enjoyable, and mundane drives that much closer to pleasure drives.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

I was convinced I would want to go back to a t-top car since my last couple were, but I really do not and now that I have the subframes in and it feels so much tighter...I am pretty sure this one will be staying around. The convertible top is nicer and simpler than the t-top removal. Nice to just drop it for a few miles and pu it back up without even gettin out of the drivers seat.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Agreed. Though I've never owned a t-top. Also, the convertible does come with considerations of its own.

Some of my lessons learned:

NEVER use the "hands free" car wash. The air dry system can cause the rag top to separate from the rear window (see below, when driving at freeway speeds), and the system in general is rough on the rag top. Once it comes loose, even just a little bit, it just continues to get worse until you have a gaping hole and your back seat is exposed to the elements.

NEVER lower the top when its wet/moist/damp. You'll get mold in the fabric, and once its there, its there to stay (and it just gets worse with time).

If driving with the top up and windows rolled down at freeway speeds, mind your rear window: it catches the wind and shakes back and forth. I suspect that continuous flexing back and forth like that could weaken the seal between the rag top and the window.

I have had to replace the top once because of those first two, and it cost me $1200. Since then, it's been great, though.

As for the SFCs, I have the two-points bolted in and immediately after install, the difference was abundantly apparent. Also, I derived a significant benefit from Sam Strano's hollow sway bars. They really added a more planted feel to the car. Made it feel a lot more expensive that it actually is, if that makes any sense.

Any reason you didn't go bigger than 245s on the tires?
    Last edited by Naaman; 08-24-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

More rubber more rolling resistance and it's a commuter right now. Trying to keep some mpg w 600 miles a week going on it.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Smart man!

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Trying to balance the actual use and my needs for car vs the desire to just build a beast is a bitch honestly. I look at tires and wish I went wider, but such is life. It works well for what it is and I know that one day it can become what it should be.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yup. Little bit at a time. At least that way, you have time to really learn and appreciate each change and then you'll better know what you "need" for the next step.

You might have been able to get away with 255s, but then again, the difference may not have been noticeable either way.
    Last edited by Naaman; 08-25-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Researching the addition of an external trans cooler and trying to figure out if it matters which filter i buy for the trans. Some giant price differences for something pretty basic. I think a cooler, new filter and some Dextron 6 will be good for it. Was in my other 4l60.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Decided I did not like how far in the rear wheels sat so i got a pair of 1.25 think hubcentric bolt-on wheel spacers. Only problem is I really like it and am debating doing 1 inch on the front.

Also swapped the stock muffler for a Hooker Aerochamber. Also used a pair of 3.5 stainless tips I had from another project.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Lookin' good!

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Been stock piling some stuff for a refresh as well.

Trans Cooler
    Spare ECM to be tuned
    Trans Filter and Fluid
    AIR delete plates
    Iridium Plugs and Spiral Pro wires
    Some better fog light bulbs--still researching cost effective projector retro or similar for headlights

Debating on badge overlay/pontiac fillin. i loved it on my old darker green TA but not sure on this color
    Was supposed to pick up a aftermarket WS6 hood last weekend but basement flooded so should get in next week or two. When it gets painted the windows should get tinted as well.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Taylor Spiro-Pro Spark Plug wires
    NGK TR55IX Iridium
    Front Plate Insert
    All got installed last night

Also deleted the AIR system and tossed some synthetic oil in it

Today the Frost Tune was paid for and the spare puter gets shipped off tomorrow

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Kyle I'm going to move your thread to the Convertible Section.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Wherever you think best

Thread Information