PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Question 2007 Shelby Cobra VS 2002 Z/28 Convertible

Every day now I'm starting to see more & more of these new Shelby's on the streets of Shreveport. I know that sooner or later I'm gonna run up on one of these beast & I can't back down from a race even if I know I'm probably gonna loose unless they miss a shift.
    I'm seriously thinking about a Magnason street blower with a built-in intercooler. Do ya'll think this would be competitive against that snake ? The vert weighs in at about 3625 lbs against the Cobra's 3950 lbs. I'm runnin 13.20"s at 105MPH now with just a lid & a Magnaflow muffler .

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

what are you?~!? some kind of old retired man that can afford all that?!!?...go all motor and some spray...dont they run a 12.5?

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Blaa... All Motor and Spray can be nice but a supercharger would rock.

Supercharger should be able to make you a decent amount faster then a snake. a Stock snake atleast. Are you Auto or M6? If your Auto invest in a Stall to keep you in the power band.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    Blaa... All Motor and Spray can be nice but a supercharger would rock.

Supercharger should be able to make you a decent amount faster then a snake. a Stock snake atleast. Are you Auto or M6? If your Auto invest in a Stall to keep you in the power band.
    Yep , mines automatic.But it's strickly street driven. Don't want no loose ass converter on the street. The only other possible mods might be a set of Kooks LT's and maybe some TD's just for sound.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Yep , mines automatic.But it's strickly street driven. Don't want no loose ass converter on the street. The only other possible mods might be a set of Kooks LT's and maybe some TD's just for sound.
    I bought a 3500 for my DD. Havent gotten to drive it yet. But alot of guys say a 3000 drives like stock and makes it much quicker.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Well , my man at the local Ford dealership just got back from Red River Raceway in Shreveport with some ET & MPH figures on a brand new 2007 Shelby GT 500 coupe. He's a better than average driver with lots of experience. His best out of three runs was a ( 12.80 at over 125 MPH which tells me there's a lot he left on the table . The Cobra was brand new with only 800 miles on the odometer.Shifting was stiff at first but got better with each run as the whole car seemed to loosen up bit.Street tires & with practically no break in . I think under good conditions the Cobra would be good for very low twelves . Would probably smoke a standard 07 C6 , but not the Z06. Ford now has a King Cobra with 600 Hp that WILL run down the Z06 I'm told .

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well , my man at the local Ford dealership just got back from Red River Raceway in Shreveport with some ET & MPH figures on a brand new 2007 Shelby GT 500 coupe. He's a better than average driver with lots of experience. His best out of three runs was a ( 12.80 at over 125 MPH which tells me there's a lot he left on the table . The Cobra was brand new with only 800 miles on the odometer.Shifting was stiff at first but got better with each run as the whole car seemed to loosen up bit.Street tires & with practically no break in . I think under good conditions the Cobra would be good for very low twelves . Would probably smoke a standard 07 C6 , but not the Z06. Ford now has a King Cobra with 600 Hp that WILL run down the Z06 I'm told .
    125MPH trap speed?? Are you sure?? Thats very high, I though those cars were trapping like 115-117MPH.

The King Cobra model only has a few extra HP, its not much (it any) faster, and its 3850lb heavy ass isn't going to run down any 500HP 3100lb Corvette Z06's

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    125MPH trap speed?? Are you sure?? Thats very high, I though those cars were trapping like 115-117MPH.

The King Cobra model only has a few extra HP, its not much (it any) faster, and its 3850lb heavy ass isn't going to run down any 500HP 3100lb Corvette Z06's
    WE HOPE NOT anyway !

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

I've seen Stock ones with DR's running at the track... if they get 12.9...it's alot... they aren't at all that as fast as one would think... I don't know what the heck Ford was thinking... 500HP...12.9... sounds really weak to me... I think they only managed to beat out the C6 Vett... in 50-70mph (passing speed)... that's about it...if they are in the least modded...that's when you have to worry

Black
    98 Trans Am

( 12.80 at over 125 MPH which tells me there's a lot he left on the table .
    The mph tells me that car isn't stock.

The et is about right, but that mph is about 10mph more than what a stock 430rwhp, 4000 lb Shelby runs.

some 3.73's, 3k stall, shift kit, and PCM tune, should put your Z ahead of a Shelby on the track or street, you will still get hammered from a highway roll on though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Car andDriver tested a standard 400hp Vette against the 500, and the Vette was faster in all but one category. IIRC the Shelby is much heavier than the Vette. but they said it didn't feel like 500hp.

I'm not impressed with them, seems way overpriced for a Mustang. For that money I'll take a Vette, or for that matter, a '09 Challenger or Camaro.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Wink

Speaking of over priced , the one in the showroom at Wray Ford in Bossier City , La. had a sticker price of $ 48,500.00 but it was a convertible with every option available and the dealer mark-up was $ 12,000.00 over that. But ya'll remember now , it does have a back set & a rather large trunk & when you pop the hood the engine literally jumps out at you . The motor and engine compartment is VERY IMPRESSIVE !
    I should warn you , don't get too close because it WILL tempt you & its available RIGHT NOW , not TWO YEARS from now .

Black
    2000 Z-28

I do believe the Shelby 500's are overpriced but they do have huge potential. I saw one w/ a pulley swap, cold air intake and a tune and it went from 440rwhp to 580rwhp. With supercharged motors and forged internals it's possible to make big hp. And I'm not sure the cost but those things couldn't be much more than $1200 in parts. Sounds like a pretty sweet return on a minimal investment for parts.
    Last edited by Johns00Z28; 08-17-2007 at 10:39 PM.
    Vote for Pedro.

00 pace car
    chevy corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    I do believe the Shelby 500's are overpriced but they do have huge potential. I saw one w/ a pulley swap, cold air intake and a tune and it went from 440rwhp to 580rwhp. With supercharged motors and forged internals it's possible to make big hp. And I'm not sure the cost but those things couldn't be much more than $1200 in parts. Sounds like a pretty sweet return on a minimal investment for parts.
    Is that a gt500 or the GT500KR ? the KR is a gussied up gt500 THE Kr runs a 5.4 ltr supercharged ltr v8 from the factory they modified the engine software & the exhaust & a cold air intake ,It boost power from 500 hp btw thats crank hp to 540 ,tq improves from 480 to 510 ,& a six speed manual tranny & a short throw shifter from the factory,:Competition : Chevy Camaro & corvette ,dodge srt8 ;What might go wrong ?> Not much really ,Ford & Shelby are making so few that everyMustang collector in america will find room in there garage for one Estimated arrival & Cost The Gt500Kr will arrive in next spring of 08 as an 2008 model, Excpect $12,000 premuim over the Shelby Gt500 ,making this the first production mustang to cost more than 50k Whats Important ;[ Shelby & Ford will only make 1000 examples which should ensure Healthy markups for dealers @ bidding war @ barrett -jackson ,It is the inspiration of the 1968 gt500kr ,IT doesnt givea weight on the KR but i promise it is a pig needing a strict diet ,,btw that came from Car & driver July 07 edtion ,If u wanna beat this thing with minor bolt ons in a fbody u will have to spray the crap out of it ,they mag doesnt give a weight , i knowthe fbody is lean compared to this pig , unless u strip the hell out of it ,front bumper ,rear bumper ,swaybar ,i had a 93 gt did that too spray it with a 175 shot & ran in the mid 7s in the eighth mile , whats funny is my c5 does that on the motor with no power adder ,heads & cam ,gear ,u can beat the gt 500,i would opt for nitrous & a gear & stall & slicksor dr for starters how much money do u have ,is the bottom line

Black
    2000 Z-28

The one I saw was a stock GT500 that had a pulley swap, cold air intake and a tune and picked up about 140rwhp. Yeah they're heavy and overpriced but they can be easily modified. With those couple mods it should easily run 11's.

Thread Information