Thread: What exhaust?

Red
    94 Pont. Firebird Formula

What exhaust?

alright i just got a 94 firebird formula... and the exhaust sounds terrible on it IMO... all my friends like it but i just don't think they have that taste for a good exhaust sound lol...
    but anyway... i'm thinkin that the stock piping was left on it and the last owner only replaced the stock muffler with a hooker muffler, and it sounds raspy like crazy...
    i do not want the raspy sound, but i'm lookin for more of a nice deep sounding rumble
    i like the sound of the flowmaster super 44's that are on their website, but i dunno how that would sound on my car...
    and i also dont have the money to spend for headers, so those are out of the question at the time
    does running 3'' piping off of the cat to a single in dual out flowmaster super 44 back to the stock tips sound like a plan for taking out that annoying raspy cackle?
    any suggestions of something that would be moderately cheap, but still nice sounding would be great
    also, i know the owners of a muffler shop so i get good deals

red
    95 Z28

Just buy a catback. Cheap and good quality is magnaflow. You get stainless material and everything you need to just bolt it up. Generally speaking, people like the sound of flowdisaster...er... flowmaster, but otherwise it sucks. Borla, B&B and Corsa are the top notchers, but also pricey.

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

Corsa cat back is the only way to go IMO

95 TA A4, Black on Black C5 Z06 wheels, CAI, 160 powerstat, TB coolent bypass, TB foil, LT4 Knock Sensor, STB, SFC, Poly trans and torque arm mounts, flowmaster muffler, gutted cat, and hypertech tuned.
    http://www.fquick.com/SexyTransAm

black
    94z

i dont have it but i prefer borla. theres a 95 on ls1sounds.com that has borla mufflex y pipe and hooker headers. that thing sounds badass!!!!!

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

BASSANI true dual if you can afford to replace the exhaust manifolds and cat with 1995-97 manifolds or headers and dual cats; that would be would I would do if I could make that decision over again! Ut isn't cheap, but Bassani is pretty high quality. I mean, my Magnaflow sounds great, but come on! Can you say no to this??? TRUE DUALS!!! No clearance issues!!!

Just google Bassani true dual 1995-1997 and you'll find it pretty quick, you can order it with pipes to the left and right or just to the left 2004 GTO style, but both ways it is a true dual exhaust system, as are all the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTOs.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    BASSANI true dual if you can afford to replace the exhaust manifolds and cat with 1995-97 manifolds or headers and dual cats; that would be would I would do if I could make that decision over again! Ut isn't cheap, but Bassani is pretty high quality. I mean, my Magnaflow sounds great, but come on! Can you say no to this??? TRUE DUALS!!! No clearance issues!!!

Click for full size

Yeah, I could say no to it, being as how the 95-97 manifolds are a shitty design, and aftermarket headers than fit in their place arent that great either.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by squeals99 View Post
    i do not want the raspy sound, but i'm lookin for more of a nice deep sounding rumble

any suggestions of something that would be moderately cheap, but still nice sounding would be great
    also, i know the owners of a muffler shop so i get good deals
    From my experience, an exhaust system that would be perfect for you would be a Dynomax Bullet 3", considering you know guys at the muff shop, they will be able to fab the exhaust system up for a killer deal. The Dynomax Bullet muffler itself can be had for as little as $70, and has, in my opinion, a perfectly leved sound thats right in between "loud and quite", a smooth deep rumble to it, and more than enough flow for a variety of applications. A lot of guys sleep on the Dyno Bullets.

Red
    94 Pont. Firebird Formula

so would you recommend running just the stock pipe with a 3'' bullet or going 3'' pipe off the cat to the bullet? and what diameter pipe after the muffler would you say?

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by squeals99 View Post
    so would you recommend running just the stock pipe with a 3'' bullet or going 3'' pipe off the cat to the bullet? and what diameter pipe after the muffler would you say?
    3" intermediate pipe into Bullet, 3" tailpipe exiting Bullet. The other tailpipe (right side) will exit the intermediate pipe, and of course it will be 3" as well.

Metallic Red
    1995 Mustang GT

I'd have to say Magnaflow. It sounds nice and mellow and can be driven comfortably without any drone. Plus, it's SS and can be had for alittle over 400$. I'd say flowmaster, but everybody has them, including me.

Yeah, I could say no to it, being as how the 95-97 manifolds are a shitty design, and aftermarket headers than fit in their place arent that great either.
    What is so bad about their design?

Awaiting Activation

Aqua Teal Metallic
    1994 B4C Camaro

I went with a full Hooker exhaust, including long-tube competition headers, y-pipe, and catback. I love the sound.

Keep in mind that with the competition headers you will have to have O2, AIR, and EGR bungs welded into them to pass emissions.

Thread Information