Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

What do I torque these heads to?

Installing a set of LE2 heads with arp bolts and I'm reading the torque instructions for a 97 and it say to torque to 22 lbs and then turn another 80degrese or long and medium bolts and then another 67 deg on the short bolts. Is there a damn lbs I can torque to or is this it? I can guess at 80 but 67? I am using a mr gasket 5716 a real thin one.

red
    95 Z28

Good old torque-to-yield headbolts. I think the 93-95s had a standard head bolt, which is torqued in a traditional manner. The 96-97s use the manner you described above. It utilizes a different type of headbolt, which is designed to stretch when torqued. You need a very accurate torque wrench, preferably one with a built in angle gauge.

Now here's the thing... it sounds like you got ARP bolts. So are they traditional type bolts, or are they torque to yield type? I'm not aware of any differences between LT1 blocks and heads from 93-95 and 96-97 that would apply here, so I believe they only changed the type of bolts being used, and therefore the method used to torque them down. Find out from ARP for sure which method they want you to use. Also, if they are torque to yield, do not use a lubricant of any kind like ARP thread lube or oil.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Good old torque-to-yield headbolts. I think the 93-95s had a standard head bolt, which is torqued in a traditional manner. The 96-97s use the manner you described above. It utilizes a different type of headbolt, which is designed to stretch when torqued. You need a very accurate torque wrench, preferably one with a built in angle gauge.

Now here's the thing... it sounds like you got ARP bolts. So are they traditional type bolts, or are they torque to yield type? I'm not aware of any differences between LT1 blocks and heads from 93-95 and 96-97 that would apply here, so I believe they only changed the type of bolts being used, and therefore the method used to torque them down. Find out from ARP for sure which method they want you to use. Also, if they are torque to yield, do not use a lubricant of any kind like ARP thread lube or oil.
    Yes indeedy....

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Good info, I did not know that was the reason. Found the sheet that came with the ARP bolts and did a 3 stage torque to 70 with lub. Now if I could just figure out what the hell I have to do to get this moroso oil pan to fit and what pickup to use with it. PIA.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Stock replacement pan?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Suposed to be a stock replacemnet but moroso only make 2 pickups that fit this pan and each fits 1 pump that fit the pan and there are 6 or more pumps that can be used on this engine. Finaly got it to work but I had to change pumps and modify the damn moroso pickup.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Don't forget to tack weld the pickup to the pump unless it has a bolt on tab.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

yea it has the bolt tab thanks.

Thread Information