live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

what do i need...

In another 3 weeks or so ill be picking up a stock 95Z28 LT1/T56 for my 69 camaro.

Now i know that LT1s usually run low 14s to high 13.

Im wondering what boltons i would need to break into the 12s. I will be putting on a ford 9inch with 4.10 gears, so feel free to take that into consideration.

i was thinking an LT4 hot cam with 1.6 roller rocker, a cold air intake, computer tune to get rid of all smog regulations. I already have long tube headers and dual 2.5 inch exaust.

do you guys think that would be enough? what other modifications do you recommend? Please keep in mind im in college so money is an issue, and this will be a daily driver so nothing to radical>

thanks for the help!

red
    95 Z28

What you suggested will get you the power you need to get into the 12s (assuming decent weather and track). Gotta hook it though. A set of drag radials would do the trick most likely.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    What you suggested will get you the power you need to get into the 12s (assuming decent weather and track). Gotta hook it though. A set of drag radials would do the trick most likely.
    sweet! haha now what do you think it would run with a stock peg-legged 10 bolt with maybe 2.56 gears... because thats whats in it right now and i don know how long itll take me to get the money saved to pt in the Ford 9 inch, but thats the plan anyways

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

My best at Bandimere is 14.002, with Hooser ET's

97LT
    Long tube
    Cold Air Intake
    3:73 rear

I have heard people state that the LT4 Cam is not much more above the LT1, and that you are not getting your $$ worth.
    Just want to say.

Maybe a bigger MAF
    Bigger Injector's (the 95LT1 is 32 or 34lbs) i.e. LS1 38-42lbs

So are both the engine and Trans special order? I know that 95 only had 5 Speeds in the Camaro's, 6 in the Vettes.

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

LE2 head/cam package with bolt ons

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by joerockhead View Post

97LT
    Long tube
    Cold Air Intake

Keep in mind this is at 7000+ DAs.

Maybe a bigger MAF
    Bigger Injector's (the 95LT1 is 32 or 34lbs) i.e. LS1 38-42lbs
    You wont need bigger injectors for a cam only LT1. The factory units will easily handle it.

So are both the engine and Trans special order? I know that 95 only had 5 Speeds in the Camaro's, 6 in the Vettes.

A 5 speed manual was NEVER offered behind any V8 F body, from 93 on. There were two T56 6 speed manuals offered in 93, and from there on, a single T56 6 speed, or the 4 speed auto. And the 6 speed manual offered in the LT1 f bodies (T56 Borg Warner), was not the same 6 speed as offered in the LTx corvettes (ZF 6 speed)

FYI My 95 Z28 has a 6 speed T56.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

97LT
    Long tube
    Cold Air Intake

I have heard people state that the LT4 Cam is not much more above the LT1, and that you are not getting your $$ worth.
    Just want to say.

So are both the engine and Trans special order? I
    the engine and trans are getting picked up along with clutch assembly, ecu, wiring harness, and all accessories form an engine place in southern california called sun valley, they do ots of ls1 and lt1 engine/trans combo sales.

what kind of cam would be good then if not the LT4. I dont know much about cams, thats just the one i always hear about. id like a good amount of power from the cam, but nothing to crazy as this is goin to be my daily driver. just enough power to slap around any ricer that rear their heads, and maybe an evo or two.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Don't even worry about a MAF, TB, injectors, intake mods, or dumb ass ebay mods. Start off with headers, cam and a tune. If you want the most out of your motor have the heads ported and a matched cam for your liking. Then get your self a set of slicks or drag radials because you are going to need them at the track. Another pretty good mod I though was my electric water pump it was worth about 8 rwhp. for $160
    96 WS6 Trans Am LT4 Hot Cam, Pacesetter LT, 2.5" Xpipe into Dynomax, 3000 Stall Edge racing converter, Trans go shift kit,Tuning by me, MSD6A, CSR waterpump 328 RWHP 12.36 @ 109

Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid
    what kind of cam would be good then if not the LT4. I dont know much about cams, thats just the one i always hear about. id like a good amount of power from the cam, but nothing to crazy as this is goin to be my daily driver. just enough power to slap around any ricer that rear their heads, and maybe an evo or two....
    Google Bret Bauer, and Joe Overton, and read up on they're heated camshaft debates. You'll learn a great deal about what the LTX engine's want, trust me....

Click Here > Joe Overton

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Keep in mind this is at 7000+ DAs.
    I assume most folks here know Bandi is over a mile high

You wont need bigger injectors for a cam only LT1. The factory units will easily handle it.
    OK, just going with what other's always say. My bad.

A 5 speed manual was NEVER offered behind any V8 F body, from 93 on. There were two T56 6 speed manuals offered in 93, and from there on, a single T56 6 speed, or the 4 speed auto. And the 6 speed manual offered in the LT1 f bodies (T56 Borg Warner), was not the same 6 speed as offered in the LTx corvettes (ZF 6 speed)

FYI My 95 Z28 has a 6 speed T56.
    I was going on when I was rebuilding my Camaro, the Speed shop had a line on a 95 and said it had a 5 speed. And it fell through, so I ended up with the 6 speed.

red
    95 Z28

, the Speed shop had a line on a 95 and said it had a 5 speed.

They was wrong Unless for some inexplicable reason someone tried to swap a T-5 manual into an LT1 car, but that would be asinine.

CO Fastest V6 FBody Teufel Hunden's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

They was wrong Unless for some inexplicable reason someone tried to swap a T-5 manual into an LT1 car, but that would be asinine.
    Hell a stock LT1 would be 90% the max torque a T5 can handle. Throw some bolt ons at it, and you'd lose 3rd gear the next day.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    Hell a stock LT1 would be 90% the max torque a T5 can handle. Throw some bolt ons at it, and you'd lose 3rd gear the next day.

Have you ever seen one break third gear?

CO Fastest V6 FBody Teufel Hunden's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

Have you ever seen one break third gear?
    I think i read about it on the internet somewhere once.

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Ahem....

haha

Is there a specific cam any of you would recommend for the specifications i was talking about. I.E. daily driver/ 12s?

any links or info available on a good cam would be a great help as well, thanks

Thread Information