red
    1996 pontiac trans am

Question tranny/torque converter problems????

i have a 96 trans am automatic with some mods. intake, headers, straight pipes, minor tune and a b&m power shift kit. the car has been amazing for months. now all of the sudden i start the car let it warm up and when i put it in drive or reverse it bogs down and seems like it has a misfire. if i hold the brake and let it bog the check engine light comes on for a multiple misfire (p300). i changed the spark plugs, wires, alternator, and the problem continues. when the car is in park or neutral there is no problem at all, it idles perfect and i can rev the hell out it. then when im crusin down the highway steady throttle and go up any incline it almost hesitates like its not getting enough fuel but if i gun the throttle it downshifts and acts fine. im totally confused. evry mechanic i have talked to said "oh its your plugs" or "its your fuel filter or maybe your wires" well i changed all that and i still have the problem lol. could this be a tranny problem or maybe my torque converter? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by red96 View Post
    i have a 96 trans am automatic with some mods. intake, headers, straight pipes, minor tune and a b&m power shift kit. the car has been amazing for months. now all of the sudden i start the car let it warm up and when i put it in drive or reverse it bogs down and seems like it has a misfire. if i hold the brake and let it bog the check engine light comes on for a multiple misfire (p300). i changed the spark plugs, wires, alternator, and the problem continues. when the car is in park or neutral there is no problem at all, it idles perfect and i can rev the hell out it. then when im crusin down the highway steady throttle and go up any incline it almost hesitates like its not getting enough fuel but if i gun the throttle it downshifts and acts fine. im totally confused. evry mechanic i have talked to said "oh its your plugs" or "its your fuel filter or maybe your wires" well i changed all that and i still have the problem lol. could this be a tranny problem or maybe my torque converter? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
    optispark. classic sign of it going out.... get yourself a new ac delco optispark and don't mess with the cheap shit.

red
    1996 pontiac trans am

i was hoping it wouldnt be that lol. thats a tight fit to get to it. any suggestions to make it a little easier? do i have to take my water pump out to get to it?

Ray Charles blue

I 2nd the opti spark.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by red96 View Post
    i was hoping it wouldnt be that lol. thats a tight fit to get to it. any suggestions to make it a little easier? do i have to take my water pump out to get to it?

There are online tutorials with pictures to help you through it. Use one of those and you'll be fine.

Thread Information