Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too much cam

Trans Am owner
    former

too much cam

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...csid=1111&sb=0

is that too much lift and duration for stock valve springs? I would like to reuse the stockers if i could. it would be going in a 57,000 mile automatic car.....so, the springs havent been beaten on too much.pretty much used as a cruiser about 700 miles a year for the last 7 years.

red
    95 Z28

Uh yeah, you're gonna need new springs for that cam. Thats over a tenth of an inch more lift than the stock cam.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

you also mayhave a little bit of trouble wit hthe tranny

Trans Am owner
    former

care to explain?

a 2800 stall wouldnt cut it with stock heads? it wont be makin too much power..... or am I underestimating the LT1?

Silver

the lsa on the cam can tear that tranny apart... may not but could shorten the length of life... and as for the heads... the springs need to be replaced for sure... you should do it anyways with almost any cam.. but you need upgraded springs... possibly doubles

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    the lsa on the cam can tear that tranny apart... may not but could shorten the length of life... and as for the heads... the springs need to be replaced for sure... you should do it anyways with almost any cam.. but you need upgraded springs... possibly doubles

wow, i wasnt aware of this.....thanks for the heads up. it is a 113 lsa...i didnt think it was that big. i see guys running like 112's, and 110's in ls1 motors....

i will talk to my local "finish line performance"....good thing i live a few miles away.....I will ask what they suggest.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post
    wow, i wasnt aware of this.....thanks for the heads up. it is a 113 lsa...i didnt think it was that big. i see guys running like 112's, and 110's in ls1 motors....

i will talk to my local "finish line performance"....good thing i live a few miles away.....I will ask what they suggest.
    all day yes... but the a4 cant handle that stock... with a performance rebuild they are fine... m6 can handle whatever lsa... 112 and lower is pretyt much a nono... a 113 is cutting it damnnnn close... i dont know if thats safe or not.. .114 should be fine

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

......but the a4 cant handle that stock... with a performance rebuild they are fine... .... 112 and lower is pretyt much a nono... a 113 is cutting it damnnnn close... i dont know if thats safe or not.. .114 should be fine
    WTF?!?!?!?!?

This makes absolutely no sense at all!

Until you can explain HOW......I'm gonna say that the LSA of the cam cannot effect the longevity of a stock 4L60E transmission!!!

FWIW, the stock cam in the B-body LT1 has a 109 LSA!

KW
    Last edited by KW Baraka; 07-01-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
    WTF?!?!?!?!?

This makes absolutely no sense at all!

Until you can explain HOW......I'm gonna say that the LSA of the cam cannot effect the longevity of a stock 4L60E transmission!!!

FWIW, the stock cam in the B-body LT1 has a 109 LSA!

KW
    with the lift and lsa combination, the roughness tears it apart... thats what happened to my friends car... his tranny went out pretty damn fast on a 112 lsa... even in a fairly mild cam...

red
    95 Z28

with the lift and lsa combination, the roughness tears it apart... thats what happened to my friends car... his tranny went out pretty damn fast on a 112 lsa... even in a fairly mild cam...

I dont think what happened to your friend's car qualifies you to say that a smaller lsa will tear apart a 4L60.

Trans Am owner
    former

yeah, that sounded a little fishy to me.....

I was thinkin it was just the added power from the cam that would damage the tranny, not the idle. anyways, wouldnt a higher stall converter smooth that out anyways? like the lopeyness from the cam, it doesnt transfer to the tranny as directly, because stall speed is so high

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

The cam tore the tranny apart.......HOW ?

Is it possible that the tranny was on it's way out.......anyway?

Seems to me that there are two completely separate issues here and you're trying to link them as a cause and effect.

One stock tranny blowing behind one cammed engine his hardly something to indict stock 4L60E trannys over.

I mean......I thought you actually had some automotive engineering principle to fall back on .........

KW

Silver

Seems to me that there are two completely separate issues here and you're trying to link them as a cause and effect.

One stock tranny blowing behind one cammed engine his hardly something to indict stock 4L60E trannys over.

I mean......I thought you actually had some automotive engineering principle to fall back on .........

KW
    thats not the only case i knew of... just the one i used... and i mean im not scientific... its just what everyone i know has always said... and what the place i go to had me under the impression of

Trans Am owner
    former

forget it, I will just get the hot cam kit.

it will boost my power, keep drivability, plus it comes with springs, and rockers and all that

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post
    forget it, I will just get the hot cam kit.

it will boost my power, keep drivability, plus it comes with springs, and rockers and all that
    I would suggest you do a lot more research. Choosing a cam is a rather large decision for your car and I personally would not want to do it twice. Try searching up on the hot cam here and other sites. I think after doing some research (reading, talking, calling up places) you will find better alternatives. Personally I have a 226/228 .585/.588 lsa 112 cam but it is through a M6. Once the tune is tweaked in no loss of driveability, change in MPG, only a overall gain in power (my Camaro is my only car and a DD).

Silver

i just wanna say i guess i was wrong... no relation to the lsa... but i was right in the fact that that kind of upgrade in power will be very harsh on your tranny... rather large choice for that older stock tranny... sorry for any confusion

Trans Am owner
    former

no problem.

I talked to my local performance shops, and they said, for stock heads, and just basic boltons, that the lt4 hot cam would be good for my usage.

plus, its a good deal, since it comes with the stick, retainers, springs, rockerarms and all that.

10's N/A

KW
    Why so harsh? If someone is misinformed about something why not educate them instead of insulting them.

It's funny what some people do these days to inflate their own ego. Damn small man's complex syndrome.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Why so harsh......
    What's so harsh?

I merely challanged the man regarding the information that he dispursed as fact. Are you saying that we shouldn't challange bad info?

I man.......you're days late, and many dollars short.......and need to leave others defend themselves when/if there's a need for them to do so .

KW

10's N/A

What's so harsh?

I merely challanged the man regarding the information that he dispursed as fact. Are you saying that we shouldn't challange bad info?

I man.......you're days late, and many dollars short.......and need to leave others defend themselves when/if there's a need for them to do so .

KW
    Uhh, O.K.

Thread Information