Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Suspension questions...

Ok, time to improve handling and such...got some questions (obviously)...
    My car is a street car with bolt-ons, so should I get the lower control arm relocation brackets or would they be a waste on my car?
    Second thing, I don't do any track time, so should I get the adjustable suspension parts or just the regular non-adjustable ones? ie Panhard rod, control arms..etc.

I'm looking to go with UMI on most of these things.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

It all depends on if your getting lowering springs...if you are your gonna need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear and get it aligned...as for lower control arms if its not seeing track time then regular ones should be fine...note that the relocation brackets were designed for lowered applications since you lose the stock geometry of the car...which can lead to wheel hop.

I will tell you this..i have the strano performance lowering springs on my car (1 1/4'' drop)...a double adjustable panhard bar and the stock control arms without the relocation brackets and i have no wheel hop whatsoever...i say u just get lower control arms anyway since ur gonna be down there already...i didn't do them because i was short on cash at the time but i will soon.

A STB and SFCs would greatly change handling and feel of the car so i would definately look into those as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I was considering the relocation brackets is because I have an opportunity to use a lift. As well as my friend's uncle who is a welder, so cheap labor and a free lift. I figured its a one chance opportunity to get all the welding out of the way at once. The SFC's are also included in this as I did not mention it. I already have the STB. I don't plan on lowering the car as I have LT's with limited ground clearance. I guess I'll just stick with the LCA's then, with the other things. Thanks.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

yeah no prob bro...cant turn down cheap labor!! lol hope all goes well for you..are you considering sway bars by the way??

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I was originally considering the following:
    tubular single adjustable panhard bar
    tubular non-adjustable lower control arms
    boxed weld-in SFC
    bolt-in driveshaft safely loop
    torque arm

By the way, which is better, a transmission-mounted torque arm or a tunnel-brace mounted torque arm?

Oh, and does anyone make aftermarket springs that maintain stock ride heighth?
    And does anyone think I should add anything else? Keep in mind, I want to do this on a budget?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Replace your shocks. They are the worst part of the suspension.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

for stock ride height or close you can look at the slp springs (call them to double check as i am not 100% sure)...i think they sell the springs and bilstein shocks as a package on slp.com.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

SLP, huh? I'll look into it. And I will definately replace the shocks then. For a street car, what type of shocks should I get?

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I'm running the KYB AGX adjustables...people on here don't like them very much...i did not know much at all at the time so i went ahead and got those...they're good for street in my opinion...besides my car doesn't see the track much maybe 2 or 3 times a year so these work fine for me...people on here love the Koni's and revalved Bilsteins but if your on a budget these can get somewhat pricey.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, Bilsteins is always a name I hear thrown around on here. I may have to wait til next summer because the damn car won't start now. Something with the security light again that I can't figure out. I am beginning to hate this car.

2 words: Anti-sway bars http://www.lmperformance.com/830/2.html

All springs do is manage the ride height and softness in the up and down motion. And shocks just keep a car from bouncing. Which is all good, but for stability in cornering, nothing compares to that fat anti-sway bar.

And why in the heck do you want relocation brackets if you don't drag? That's mainly for re-establishing the angle of the control arm for when you have a lowered car.. And the reason that is done is IF you are losing traction off the line, that will help. So, I don't get it. My car is lowered 1.5 inches and with my new softer tires, that sucker really bites down off the line compared to my other harder compound tires. -and- I don't have relo brackets.

And yes, these cars need a lot of maintenance. Fortunately I have nearly replaced EVERYTHING haha.. And now working on my 2nd power antenna. As far as Bilstiens... I have had 2 pairs and they are good, but sort of over rated IMO. Unless your car is really lowered a lot, you dont really need them. Bilstiens resist movement faster than a light weight shock/strut. So if you have a bouncy ride from an extreme low spring, Bilstiens are necessary. But I wouldn't say they are required in other applications where the car is not low.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-28-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    2 words: Anti-sway bars http://www.lmperformance.com/830/2.html

All springs do is manage the ride height and softness in the up and down motion. And shocks just keep a car from bouncing. Which is all good, but for stability in cornering, nothing compares to that fat anti-sway bar.

And why in the heck do you want relocation brackets if you don't drag? That's mainly for re-establishing the angle of the control arm for when you have a lowered car.. And the reason that is done is IF you are losing traction off the line, that will help. So, I don't get it. My car is lowered 1.5 inches and with my new softer tires, that sucker really bites down off the line compared to my other harder compound tires.

And yes, these cars need a lot of maintenance. Fortunately I have nearly replaced EVERYTHING haha.. And now working on my 2nd power antenna. As far as Bilstiens... I have had 2 pairs and they are good, but sort of over rated IMO. Unless your car is really lowered a lot, you dont really need them. Bilstiens resist movement faster than a light weight shock/strut. So if you have a bouncy ride from an extreme low spring, Bilstiens are necessary. But I wouldn't say they are required in other applications where the car is not low.
    Dude read the post lol...i said he would need relocation brackets only if he was going to lower the car but since he doesn't go to the track and he's not gonna lower his car i said he wouldn't need them. But i agree w/ the sway bars and maintenance stuff you said tho.

Smile

i wasnt reading your post. So I dont know what your talking about. I just talking to BlackLT1Z28

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

ah lol no prob...in that case my previous post does not exist then haha

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    I don't do any track time, .

Ok... if it's just for looks, get the lowering springs and, if necessary, an adjustable panhard to center up the rear axle, then have it aligned.

edit... I see you dont want to lower it. In that case, you dont need any of that shit. You could put sticky tires on an otherwise bone stock F body and it would handle better than one with all that shit you mentioned.

And if you think that your driving abilities are beyond the car's capabilities (most people do, but they're typically wrong )... then call Sam Strano. He could actually tell you what you want for your situation, instead of arbitrary internet advice.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 10-29-2007 at 12:27 AM.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I agree with the post above me...i talked to sam strano when i ordered my springs from him and he was a ton of help!! Give him a call...you can find his # on his website...i believe its stranoperformance.com

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I wish I would have heard about Sam before I started my suspension mods. I would have done some things different than what I have done after I talked to him. I'll correct them in the future though.

Thread Information