Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green
    1998 Z28 - A4

supercharger advice...

i am getting the parts together for a suprecharger on my '95 Lt1 at 4.5 psi i have straight exhaust and hypertech.. the question is whether i need injectors, and computer tuning, anyon have any thoughts or personal experience?? thanks

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

i would upgrade your fuel system, injectors and fuel pump and then get a profressional tune for it. get rid of hypertech you won't be able to tune properly with that, and you might as well upgrade ur fuel system now cuz i'm sure you'll wanna up your boost after a while... better to do it all now then take a chance at running to lean and blowing something up.

sonic blue
    2003 F350 CC dually-SL500

can you put a roots type blower on the LT1's if you tore off all the computer BS?
    make it look something like this?

red
    95 Z28

Only one person has put a roots blower on an LT1. SO yes it can be done. Is it cost efficient? No. Yes you need upgraded fuel system, and custom computer tuning. Ditch the HPP, they suck anyway, and are not in any way meant for blower cars.

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    Only one person has put a roots blower on an LT1. SO yes it can be done. Is it cost efficient? No. Yes you need upgraded fuel system, and custom computer tuning. Ditch the HPP, they suck anyway, and are not in any way meant for blower cars.
    And forget about mail order tuning also. Do it right the first time and you will save yourself a lot fustration.
    Last edited by Blown25thT/A; 09-03-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Silver2000WS6
    I have a 94 25TH Anniversary Trans Am.Put a Procharger P1-SC 8 LBS. boost with twin intercoolers on it. Took it to East Coast Superchargers in Jackson N.J. They Did a great job. I have stock injectors,Runs like a bear.But you will need a tune. The Procharger system comes with a high pressure fuel pump. What system are you looking to get?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2000WS6
    I have a 94 25TH Anniversary Trans Am.Put a Procharger P1-SC 8 LBS. boost with twin intercoolers on it. Took it to East Coast Superchargers in Jackson N.J. They Did a great job. I have stock injectors,Runs like a bear.But you will need a tune. The Procharger system comes with a high pressure fuel pump. What system are you looking to get?
    You must be running an FMU, because otherwise there's no way that stock injectors would supply enough fuel at base pressure.

Silver2000WS6
    I forgot that. Yes a FMU came with the kit too.

Curious, what kind of numbers could be seen at 4.5psi?

94formula
    I was actually thinking of going the supercharger route, running around 4.5-5 lbs of boost, but will that be ok on stock internals? and if so for how long? I am planning on getting the complete aeromotive fuel system, and already have the msd ignition set-up.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 94formula
    I was actually thinking of going the supercharger route, running around 4.5-5 lbs of boost, but will that be ok on stock internals? and if so for how long? I am planning on getting the complete aeromotive fuel system, and already have the msd ignition set-up.
    Depends on how many miles, and how good the tune is. Regardless of any of that though it is still a crapshoot. Boost on stock internals will take it's toll eventually. Some motors last 20,000 miles and more with 6psi of boost. Some last less than a year. Your driving habits and how hard the car is driven also plays a factor. 4.5 psi on a stock motor LT1 (assuming you have headers and full exhaust) would probably yield anywhere from 320-350rwhp, maybe a bit more. Running an intercooled kit is a good idea to help control detonation, which is a big killer of stock hypereutectic pistons.

I take it the pistons are the big thing to go when a motor dies due a supercharger?

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak
    I take it the pistons are the big thing to go when a motor dies due a supercharger?
    When mine blew it cracked the ring skirts on 4 pistons. (I was pushing it to hard, my fault)

94formula
    Yea, well I'm running out of bolt-ons, and really want to run some boost, but I guess a piston/crank/rods upgrade will really help out. any suggestions? looking for a good price and not looking to go to a 383, I dont really wanna bore anything

If you have any thoughts about a supercharger be sure you use forged internals.

94formula
    yea def. But I cant find any suggestions on what to get without going up to the 383 kit. Im assuming lunati is a good brand but I can only find their 383 kit, it seems I'll have to just piece it together

yea def. But I cant find any suggestions on what to get without going up to the 383 kit. Im assuming lunati is a good brand but I can only find their 383 kit, it seems I'll have to just piece it together
    I pieced all of my internal parts together. I did go .030 over because I had a few bad scratches in a couple of the cylinders.

red
    95 Z28

Yea, well I'm running out of bolt-ons, and really want to run some boost, but I guess a piston/crank/rods upgrade will really help out. any suggestions? looking for a good price and not looking to go to a 383, I dont really wanna bore anything
    the extra displacement that comes with a 383 is mostly from increasing the stroke, not the bore. When you rebuild a motor the bore is increased so that the cylinder can be refinished, so to speak, and so it can be line bored, to make sure all of the tolerances and specs are correct (part of blueprinting). The cylinder in an LT1 is overbored the same amount for a 383 or a 355 (.030 over)

When you buy a "kit" is any machine work required? Or can a garage with ample time get everything done. If so, how many hours is the job typically?

I'm still a long ways off, but my ultimate goal is a mildly supercharged 383 with a good set of heads and custom grind and dyno, so i'm just trying to lay out the costs. Not looking for more then 8psi really, unless they make a strong enough kit that can get things done reliably. I dont go to the track but I do love bragging rights and snapping peoples necks on the highway with the ocasional light to light chase, but considering whats around my area, i dont have to worry about anybody at a light

[QUOTE=grandkodiak]When you buy a "kit" is any machine work required? Or can a garage with ample time get everything done. If so, how many hours is the job typically? [QUOTE]

If you are doing a total rebuild it it always a good idea to have the block and heads sent to a machine shop and have them "worked". IMHO

Thread Information