Thread: a small skip

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

a small skip

My car is acting funny. I can't figure this one out. I have a miss at random times. If I let the car warm up for about 20 mins it runs fine with no miss. As soon as I hit stop and go traffic when I finally start moving again it will miss pretty bad. At the same time I can smell gas fumes like its flooding out. I just put new wires and plugs but that didn't solve anything. Anyone have any ideas.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

could be the opti. You should have the pcm scanned to see if there are any codes. Opti's usually leave a tell tail trail of codes in the pcm. You can get it scanned at most auto parts stores.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

I just replaced my opiti in september of 08. My car is a 95 with a odb1 computer and a odb2 port. Its aggravating to get scanned cause I can't scan it myself.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

could it have gotten wet when you guys had all that rain and flooding? Could also be a bad primary O2 sensor. With out a scan it's a shot in the dark. You can doo some of the sensor tests listed in the chiltons and hanes manuals to rule out some of them. I can't remember if 95's had 2 temp sensors or not but that is something else to check with a multimeter. could be stuck in open loop cause of a faulty temp sensor or could be a dirty MAF. Point is it could be anything when it comes to random missing. If it dose not do any of the miss fires repeatedly all anyone can do is throw parts at it untill they find the problem. Take it to a gm dealer and see if you can find someone to do side work for ya. pay him in cash and have him throw the tech 2 scanner on it, and have him tell you what needs to be replaced. I have done this ever since I started driving to get odds and ends done that I don't have the tools for. In fact I had a guy throw the tech 2 on mine and paid him $20 about a year ago to scan for a trans problem I had. I usually just ask the service attendant if there is anyone that could help me out on the side. Usually they give you someone who is standing around doing nothing. for me that happen to be a 20 year vet of GM service.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

i found a cut in a plug wire and a burnt wire. I replaced the wire and the car started perfect and ran good sitting there. I took the car out and it was still jumping around and the car just died and the check engine light came on. I got the computer scanned and it was the code for the opti. I just had this replaced in September of 08 and it has a year warranty on it. I called the shop up and the guy said if i take it out and bring it to him he will try to see if they will swap it out for me so hopefully this will work the way he said it will. If not i am going to go with the accel opti. Is that a good one to go with. I think all this rain and the flooding we had here in Ga is a big part of what happened to this opti.

Thread Information