Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: she no crank..

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

she no crank..

Ok yesterday I go out to crank the T/A , and nothing , dont even click.. She had plenty of batter , radio, lights , ac all worked... so I watched some football. Tried her about 2 hours later...Cranked right up..Did the same thing today...Anyone else experienced this ?? After she cranks she will sit and idle just fine and drive fine ....
    Last edited by snaggeltooth; 10-22-2006 at 04:14 PM. Reason: grammer

White
    2002 VY SS

Weird Mr Tooth... Maybe you're not holding your tongue right?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Check connections to starter.

black
    1993 Vette

thats what the starter on mine did, about a month before it went out if the connections to the starter are good then the windings in the starter or the magnet that extends the starter pinion could be going out best advice replace the starter

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

If you do replace the starter, just get a rebuilt one. Its way cheaper than a new one. I had to replace one and one from GM was around $500. So I got a rebuilt one for around $130. Those things for these cars aren't cheap.

Vats- Vehicle Anti Theft sys. The next time it does it look on you instrument cluster and see if your security light is on. If it is you will have to wiat 3 mins before you can try again. Most cars with VATS have this problem after a number of years if that is it

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

founf trouble ... fuel pump is going out ... seems it takes about 5 seconds to charge up ......thanks for all the thoughts though ...

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

fuel pump going out won't keep it from turning over when you turn the key snag

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    fuel pump going out won't keep it from turning over when you turn the key snag
    Yeah, if the fuel pump is shot, the motor should still turn over, it just won't start.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

its like if I put the key in and turn over all in one motion nothing, but if I put the key to start wait 5-6 seconds they go over to crank it cranks right up ... I thought it was the fuelpump because you can hear like a little motor or something ...

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, the fuel pump has to prime itself sometimes. It sounds like you're losing fuel pressure. Do you have to wait everytime to start it? Or has it been awhile since you drove it? Use a bottle of fuel system cleaner to help clean up the fuel lines and injectors.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I still don't think I'm on board for that theory. When you're driving it and you nail it does the fuel pump keep up? You should always be able to hear it prime for a few seconds if you turn the key on but don't start it. When you jump in and turn the key and it doesn't start, there no electric right? The problem isn't that it cranks and doesn't start, you get nothing? Or did I misinterpret the problem?

I've missed you snag I havn't been on the train in FOREVER

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I honestly don't think its a fuel problem either. It has to be a wire/starter/electric problem. If the fuel pump was shot, it wouldn't even prime or start the car at all.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

well it has to be something ... If I let 'whatever ' prime up... It cranks to well to be a starter ..... I also tried it in the rain and it getting wet has nothing to do with it ... So Im stumped .. It sounds like the little "sound" is comeing from passenger side front .. Like right around the firewall...

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Have you had someone else try and start the car and you stand over the engine and listen for anything? If you could post a vid, that would help.
    The 3 things that the motor needs to start is compression, spark, and fuel. If you have all those things, it should start no problem. I dunno, need more info.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Yeah, the fuel pump has to prime itself sometimes. It sounds like you're losing fuel pressure. Do you have to wait everytime to start it? Or has it been awhile since you drove it? Use a bottle of fuel system cleaner to help clean up the fuel lines and injectors.
    which one would you recomend .... Las t time I used some in another car I used some STP Injector cleaner .... ?????

If the engine won't crank, it can only be 2 possible things. Either the starter is not getting enough electricity or the starter itself is bad. That's all that is required to make the engine crank or "turn over". The starter that cranks the engine is not dependant upon fuel, or spark or a little football.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I know it is not the starter ... It dont drag at all , cold or hot. I know it is a short somewhere .. I thought it was the solenoid. But if I turn on the key , hold it a few seconds, then crank ..just like new .. If I put the key in and try to turn it over all at once ...nothing ...
    I was just saying my fuel needed a good injector cleaner because I have not done it in a long time ...

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

im still confused also. the sound up front is the air pump. warming the o2's. ok but back to the point when you put the key in and turn instantly does the starter crank? if not then does the security light come on? and if it is an m6 is your clutch engagement switch under the petal working?

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

It is an A-4 , but I have the Security...How do you check if it has a problem ...???

Thread Information