Thread: Rear End???

Green
    1997 ws-6

Rear End???

just have a quick Q. I was wondering if you think i will tear my car up. this is what i have. 97 ws6 68,xxx m6. mods are: short shifter,tb bypass, 160, shorties, y, borla, msd 8.5mm wires, ngk tr55 pluggs, hypertech programerII, KN. I was thinking of spraying a 100 dry shot, my friends all have nos i want to join the club but i dont have the funds to fix my car if i tear the ass out of it. let me know if i would be opening pandora's box. thanks

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I can't say I know a whole lot about nitrous (AKA - The un-natural male enhancement) but I don't think a properly setup 100 shot should be detrimental to the engine. I think I've heard of guys spraying 150 on their internally stock LT1. And I don't know if you would have to go with cooler range spark plugs either. Someone else should be more help than I am.

As long as you dont launch it with slicks or really kill it the rear should survive.

red
    95 Z28

Rear axles can break in these cars at stock power levels. And any tire can break them, including sticky street tires on a sticky track surface. Drag radials can for sure break them, just like slicks. A nitrous shot is risky, especially a dry shot. If I was going to run nitrous at all, it would be a wet shot, and even those still present a risk of damaging the motor. If you dont have another vehicle to drive, or cant afford to quickly fix your WS6, then I wouldnt do it.

Green
    1997 ws-6

I do launch on drag radials at about 4500 rpm, so lets just say it does break on me how much for a new one. something stronger.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
    I do launch on drag radials at about 4500 rpm, so lets just say it does break on me how much for a new one. something stronger.
    Expect to pay around ~$2000 +/- in you would like toi retain abs and have the torque arm mounts built in.

red
    96 ss

like 5.0 said the rearend will die at stock power levels. being that you have a manual , you will put more stress on it shifting and coming off the line. as far as nitrous goes, i always ran a dry 125 shot with no issues. nitrous is liked by millions and hated by millions. i love it myself, thats why i am adding more. its fun but if you are thinking about buying it look at not buying the bottle with the kit. a few companies make a bottle setup that will make sure the pressure stays where it should be , for the entire contents of the bottle. if you gonna use it, might aswell do it right.

The only real way to soup up a car, is to buy another one that was designed from end to end to produce an X amount of HP/torque. Like Z06

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    just dont spray outta the whole and youll be fine....get colder gapped plugs (tr6's) and a fpss

Green
    1997 ws-6

tr55 no good or what?? i want to spray a 100 shot wet

blk
    ?

long tubes should be in your near future or an electric cutout......and that hypertech crap has to go...

Green
    1997 ws-6

im getting a dyno tune soon... long tubes are definately not in my near future. i just put my shorties on and ORY. but thanks for your usefull and very educating opinion.

blk
    ?

hey i guess some guys are use to the short pipe thing....hey size does matter

blk
    ?

oh yah thats right you paid like 600 dollars for the install too. so you might as well get spanked a few times til you learn to buy the right shit the 1st time.....yeeeee

red
    95 Z28

Enough...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Dry Shot Advice, Right up my alley ! Use stock plugs, not colder. And as far as the rear goes, I rebuilt mine 4 times, before I added a 12 bolt moser with a spool. The stock 7.5 is weak... Good Luck ! Bill

Thread Information