Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metallic Blue
    94 Z28 A4 T Tops 52K MINT

Smile REAL HP gains from K/N cai on LT1?

Ok so K/N claims the FIPK Gen II cai gives you 18.21HP gain at 5300rpm, test was on a stock 96 Z28. They also gave the same hp increase for the 3.4L V6. To me that sounds like a type0 or something on k/n's part? Or is it? Does that sound right to anyone? I have used this cai on both of my 94 z28's, but never dynoed right after install. I also live in Utah which where I live is about 4600ft above sea level. I think the elevation may have something to do with it? I noticed a difference after the install I just don't think it was 18hp worth! Any feedback will be great.

Thanks,

Scott...

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

My 94 saw an increase of 1.7 mph in trap speed with a cai. That also included an airfoil as well.

Metallic Blue

Thumbs up

Wow that's pretty good. Thanks for the info!

Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    My 94 saw an increase of 1.7 mph in trap speed with a cai. That also included an airfoil as well.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Cold air kits are typically good for around 10rwhp on a basically stock LT1.

Metallic Blue

Thumbs up

Yeah that's more of what I was thinking. And for K/N saying the 3.4L camaro got the same 18.21hp gain, not sure what that's all about?
    Thanks again for the feedback

Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Cold air kits are typically good for around 10rwhp on a basically stock LT1.

that was my second mod over the catback back in the day... i remember feeling a slight increase in umph factor... but the real difference was in the throttle response... it was night and day with the stock filter... plus the intake sound was pretty impressive sounding! it was slightly less then when i upgraded to ram air, but i dont think i could honestly tell if i drove them back to back.

red
    2000 camaro ss

to put it another way: if you took the entire restrictive stock air box/filter off your car, you WOULD feel a difference in the seat of the pants. that being said, taking the factory box/tubing and replacing it with smooth (resonator delete) tubing, and high flow cone suckin' from a "fresher" region will yield same/better results in a safe package.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

A couple years ago I had my 96 on the dyno after my stall converter. When I was there I decided to pull off my K&N which was only a couple months old and run on the dyno with no Air filter. I had a RW HP gain of 3.2 HP. I then put in a spare Paper air filter and dynoed again. I lost .5 HP compared to No filter. I then put the K&N back in a lost over 2 RWHP.
    I now run a paper filter and have a nice K&N sitting in the garage collecting dust.
    I did have a buddy that put a K&N CAI on his V6 03 Chevy truck. I data logged before and after. With about an hour between he lost around 12 degrees on his intake temp using the K&N. Both runs were on the highway at 60MPH.
    96 WS6 Trans Am LT4 Hot Cam, Pacesetter LT, 2.5" Xpipe into Dynomax, 3000 Stall Edge racing converter, Trans go shift kit,Tuning by me, MSD6A, CSR waterpump 328 RWHP 12.36 @ 109

White
    1989 caprice 9C1

you might see a small gain, but after a few drive cycles the computer tunes it out and goes back to normal. really no use.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ironroad9c1 View Post
    you might see a small gain, but after a few drive cycles the computer tunes it out and goes back to normal. really no use.
    Wyotech student or something??? HAHA

Your incorrect.

White
    1989 caprice 9C1

Nope , tech for 15 years, Seen it and done it. now if you tune for it its differant, but if not the computer compensates for the extra airflow. and I wouldn't waste the money at wyocrap

Metallic Blue

Thumbs up

Yeah that makes sense. I have a Granitelli MAF with cold air tuning, so I think it should be working well. Also have a airfoil, helps a little. Oh yeah and I just installed my Translator Plus as well so I can now adjust fuel/spark at wot and at base. Preety cool little tuner!

Nope , tech for 15 years, Seen it and done it. now if you tune for it its differant, but if not the computer compensates for the extra airflow. and I wouldn't waste the money at wyocrap

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

The PCM (or referred to as ECU for some '92-93 LT1 guys) will advance with the addition of a cold air intake, therefore compensating in a positive manner. Cold air intake gains are not huge, but they are gains, typically in the 1+ tenth/ 1+ mph range for an LT1 car. I've had many a LT1's, cold air kits on every car.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by My94ZZZ View Post
    Yeah that makes sense. I have a Granitelli MAF with cold air tuning, so I think it should be working well. Also have a airfoil, helps a little. Oh yeah and I just installed my Translator Plus as well so I can now adjust fuel/spark at wot and at base. Preety cool little tuner!
    What is the cold air tunning?
    I usually see people that have more closed loop problems when they get different MAF sensor. Same thing goes for when people descreen their stock MAF. Did you see a drop in gas mileage when you put it on?

red
    95 Z28

You cant really argue with people putting on CAIs and seeing consistent .1 to .2 second gains at the track... and the gains last. Doesnt really matter at that point what the PCM is doing, you're obviously making more power.

Metallic Blue

Smile

not really sure what it is, when i bought it granitelli gave you a choice between cold air tuning programed in the new maf to work with a cold air intake to i guess compensate for the extra air coming in?
    And yes my gas mileage went down bad!!!
    Since my car is a 94 obd1 in closed loop it doesent throm any codes unlike the slp maf i had on my 02 Z28 obd2 setup.
    do you think if i took my granitelli maf, my gas mileage would go up?
    thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red on Red WS6 View Post
    What is the cold air tunning?
    I usually see people that have more closed loop problems when they get different MAF sensor. Same thing goes for when people descreen their stock MAF. Did you see a drop in gas mileage when you put it on?

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

not really sure what it is, when i bought it granitelli gave you a choice between cold air tuning programed in the new maf to work with a cold air intake to i guess compensate for the extra air coming in?
    Since my car is a 94 obd1 in closed loop it doesent throm any codes unlike the slp maf i had on my 02 Z28 obd2 setup.
    thanks!!!
    Going back to the stock MAF just might improve your gas mileage. The Granatelli MAF could be reading incorrectly causing a lean mixture and decreasing MPG as a result. I'd recommend sticking the stock unit back on.

red
    2000 camaro ss

i have never been satisfied with any granatelli products. maybe if they were givin their mass airflow sensors away i would use one as a paper weight.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

thanks!!!
    IMHO I would go back to a stock MAF or have someone tune your granitelli. It needs to be calibrated by a pro tuner in order to work best for your car. I have talked to Ed Wright about this and he was running his NA 500 + RWHP LT1 with a stock MAF.

hi.

hi, i found this site because i was in a flame war with some jaggoff on city data forums http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-intake-5.html who is insisting on telling people that a cold air intake is worthless on any car, and insisting on telling me that it has proven to be worthless on my 1996 Z28 as well. i was just looking for some independent studies on performance gains. why i bother humoring this guy who has professed to have never used a CAI on any car and never owned or operated a late-model muscle car (or any classic muscle car) for that matter is beyond me.

but that's when i found this site, and saw that someone is having the same problem with his GMS MAF sensor that i had, and figured i can help this person out. but, of course i have to register to post.

here are some pics of some of my cars. i also have a black 89 Formula 350 in storage.

1996 Camaro Z28
    edelbrock torque arm
    edelbrock lower control arms / relocation brackets
    edelbrock shock tower brace
    edelbrock panhard rod
    competition engineering subframe conectors
    addco 1 1/4" anti sway bar (front)
    eibach springs
    KYB shocks
    baer brakes
    17" 10-spoke SS wheels / BFG kdw 275/40/ZR17s

B&M 2400 stall converter
    transgo shift kit
    performance transmission rebuild

moroso CAI
    granatelli MAF sensor
    air foil
    crane 1.6 roller rockers
    march 3pc underdrive pullies
    hypertech power programmer
    edelbrock headers
    flowmaster cat-back

1967 Pontiac Firebird
    Hotchkis Anti Sway Bar (front)
    Hotchis Big Block Spring Kit (front)
    Hotchkis Multi-Leaf Springs (rear)
    Edelbrock IAS Shocks
    Competition Engineering Subframe Connectors
    Energy Suspension Bushing Kit. (Absolutely NO Rubber Under this car)
    SSBC Power Disc Brake Kit (front) will probably upgrade to a Baer Kit (front and rear)

BOP TH350 Trans - Performance built to hold up to a 455
    B&M Shift Kit
    B&M 2200 RPM Stall Converter
    B&M Hammer Shifter

Rechromed bumpers, new grills, trim, ect., xenon headlights

Pontiac 400 ci motor.
    out of vehicle. will go back in when built.

okay. so there's a little bit about me and my cars through pictures.

Thread Information