Attending F-Body Expert Herloss's Avatar
    Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Hollywood....I WISH.

Triple White Convertible
    1997 WS6 'Vert Trans Am

Put Straight pipes on my TA... Think they did it wrong...

I have a 1997 Trans Am. The stock muffler was beginning to rust away and I wanted my car LOUD anyway so I took it to the local exhaust shop and said put straight pipes (remove the muffler) on it.

So, they whack off (hey- Not what YOU are thinking) the pipe just at the entrance to the muffler and took off the muffler and the two pipes that ran out each side. So, visually, imagine the pipe coming over the axle and then curving where it would then have ran into the muffler. Here is what the exhaust morons did:

They then elbowed (bout 90 degree bend) back toward the front of the car and then made a "cross-pipe" - kind of like a staple.... Where the exhaust pipe is connected into it and runs to each side and out to the tips. Well, the sound -TO ME- is TOTALLY AWESOME. Loud. Mean. WHAT I WANTED.

What concerns me is that I may have created some major restriction by the way they turned that pipe looping back toward the front of the car and them making a " T " to the left and right sides for the tips. IF I KNEW HOW TO UPLOAD PICS IN THIS, I WOULD...

Do you guys think I did make a mistake -from a power - robbing standpoint? Did I allow them to make this wrong? Better yet, is there and aftermarket "setup" that I can buy that is MUFFLER AND RESONATOR-Less and is ONLY straight pipes? I have my own tips and don't need any others.

If ya'll cannot understand what I'm talking about let me know. I'll do it and answer questions right away. But I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!

THANKS!

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

I was looking at the Texas speed rumbler and heard alot of good reviews on it and thought I could build it similar myself so I did something like you did and attached some pics here Right now it is just straight pipes and sounds great but I am afraid when I gut the cats it will be way to loud.

and here is the TSP catback.It uses one bullet muffler in the single pipe from the wye back.
    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=195&catid=46

10's N/A

My last '93 I ran a straight pipe, but they were supposed to run the straight pipe from the intermediate pipe (pipe that would normally go into the muffler) all the way straight accross, and cut the rightside of that pipe, then run the right tailpipe off the intermediate pipe -- not viseversa like they did. That looks stupid and is definitely restricting exhaust. Switch it.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Attending F-Body Expert Herloss's Avatar
    Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Hollywood....I WISH.

Triple White Convertible
    1997 WS6 'Vert Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    My last '93 I ran a straight pipe, but they were supposed to run the straight pipe from the intermediate pipe (pipe that would normally go into the muffler) all the way straight accross, and cut the rightside of that pipe, then run the right tailpipe off the intermediate pipe -- not viseversa like they did. That looks stupid and is definitely restricting exhaust. Switch it.

Are you saying that what they did to MY Trans Am looks stupid and is restricting exhaust? (I'm afraid you are right if so. I am not so concerned about the looks, but horrified about the thought of restriction *which means lost horsepower* and potential damage).

HL

Yea they botched that one in terms of performace, but I doubt it will be much, might still even be a gain over the muffler being there, but a 180 to a t doesnt promote fluid gas flow lol a y split from the intermed would have been better, and probably easier and cheaper, wonder what they were thinkin...

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    Yea they botched that one in terms of performace, but I doubt it will be much, might still even be a gain over the muffler being there, but a 180 to a t doesnt promote fluid gas flow lol a y split from the intermed would have been better, and probably easier and cheaper, wonder what they were thinkin...
    My point exactly!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Looks like someone went to Midas

Sebring Silver
    97 Camaro Z28

OMG! They did not do that.. What a hack job.. That "T" they did is going to be a nice restriction.. Rip it off, take it back and get your money back.. I would be pissed! If it was my car.. If you looking for "loud" look around and pick up and SLP loudmouth cat-back.. They can be had for 1-200 bucks used..

Thread Information