silver
    1996 Trans Am

Power steering problem

Hi everyone, I have been looking at this forum for a year or so and finally bought a 1996 trans am A4. I'm experiencing problems with my power steering, its intermittent. When the vehicle is at a complete stop, there is no power assist and it feels like the engine is under strain, idles at 500rpm. When I accelarate and or in movement it works (somewhat). I'm guessing that its the power steering pump (the fluid is fine, and it doesnt whine, but sometimes the belt slips). If anyone has other suggestions on what else can cause this problem please let me know. Also I see that the alternator has to be pulled out to replace the pump, is there anything else that I should know about when replacing the pump.
    And one final question; I have an exhaust leak by the passenger side manifold, I was wondering if I would have to lift the engine up or if there is room with the engine in place to replace the gasket.
    thanks, max

My power steering pump has the same symptoms but I have been tampering with my rack and pinion and bled it twice and replaced my rack and pinion so its taken a toll on my pump. Just make sure you can figure out how to remove the hose that goes from the pump to the rack and pinion before you go too far. But if you can disconnect the hose from the power steering unit without removing the hose from the "route" that would be best. That hose is routed under the a/c compressor in a very interesting position...as if its locked in there. Thats what I need to do and I have not done it yet.

Also, there is enough room to replace the gaskets without moving the engine. I even pulled out my exhaust manifolds from the top when I did my head gasket. But it helps to have small hands and skinny arms. haha

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Check the water pump. I had this happen on my 96. The weep hole was dripping onto the pulley which allowed the belt to slip at idle thereby rendering the power steering useless because the pump wasn't turning fast enough to circulate fluid. Acceleration brought things back to normal. Once again, check the weep hole in the water pump 1st.

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

ah just get rid of it, its just extra weight when you race

silver
    1996 Trans Am

Thanks everyone I already replaced the ps pump and it fixed the problem, I took it to exhaust shop and had them install a new exhaust manifold gasket and I also replaced the IACV, now everything is fixed.

Thread Information