Thread: Passlock out

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Passlock out

Well, put my Z up for sale in the paper. Never had any problems with her at all really until the ad hit and of course the car won't recognize the key. The security light just flashes and there's no power to the starter. Damn GM and their crappy VATS system, these things always fail. Went to the local stealership and paid $106 for a new lock cylinder and key. Has anybody put one in their self? I'm hoping that the car doesn't need some type of relearn and will fire right up once the new cylinder is in there. Anybody?

Stop....take it back. You can bypass the VATS as long as you can still measure the resistance in the key pellet.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticLS1 View Post
    Stop....take it back. You can bypass the VATS as long as you can still measure the resistance in the key pellet.
    I thought about doing that but I didn't want to sell somebody a car that has the security system disabled. It might be trivial to most people but I want a clear conscience when I sell this thing. Thanks for the thought though.

chameleon
    98 T/A

Thumbs up

yes the stories ARE true you can measure the resistance in the pass loc with an ohm meter and head of to the radio shack and buy a few of them within the range of the resistance solder into place (the orange wire loom cover that houses two small white wires directl comeing out of the colum) more than likely the wire broke at the tumbler where the key is inserted. take the tools necesary and remove the wheel and air bag sensor blinker and hazzard switch and you will see two tiny wires one will be broken you can solder that back together there too.

Trey cleaning the key with alcohol.... wroked for my Z

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

i have the same problem all the time just disconnect your battery for a minute and put it back together. it happens to me about every 6 months. and every time the battery cable messes up. try those.

6SpeedZ

Medium Patriot Red
    1993 Camaro

This has been helpful.. good info fellers

Thread Information