Thread: Overall opinion

green
    95 firebird

Overall opinion

Basically, if I buy another f-body, I want it to be an LT1 Formula or an LS1 Camaro SS. What I want to know is, those of you who own or have owned an LT1 car, what are your opinions? Were you happy with the power? Was it fun/easy to work on? Did you just want to get rid of it and buy an LS1? Is it reliable? I hear opti makes it tempermental. Don't know what the deal is there. Right now I own a 4th gen 3.4 Liter, so I'm familiar with the platform.

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Go with the ls1 its alot faster stock!!!!

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fast enough Z28 View Post
    Go with the ls1 its alot faster stock!!!!
    Wow, great first post

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

your not one of those owners who is stuck on the lt1 being the best are you?

green
    95 firebird

I know the LS1 is faster stock, but I'm also taking into account price difference. The money I save from buying an LT1 would go to mods.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Neither the LS1 or LT1 are easy to work on. Not much room to work in the engine bay. As far as looks, I would personally go with an LS1 WS6. Those things look mean as hell. An LT1 with some bolt-ons can put it with a stock LS1. But the LT1 does have the dreaded optispark. Just for that, I would go with the LS1. I want an LS1 now, so I don't have to keep wondering when my opti is going to go out.
    LT1 parts, for the most-part, are cheaper than LS1 parts. But I think the LS1 has a bigger aftermarket base. I'd go LS1, but my LT1 is fun.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fast enough Z28 View Post
    your not one of those owners who is stuck on the lt1 being the best are you?
    Wow, I dont remember ever saying that. But it gets old having LS1 owners coming in here telling all the LT1 owners they should sell their cars for LS1s. Especially the people that registered at the site and that was their first post. I dont remember the thread starter ever asking if the LS1 was better than the LS1. I think you should be done in this thread as you have offered very little constructive information.

green
    95 firebird

Alright, so a pain to work on, but no more then an LS1. With bolt ons I'll be running with stock LS1s. Reliability is not so good, mostly because of optispark. What is the deal with that anyways? Lookswise, LT1 Firebirds/Formulas I like a lot more then LS1 birds, but I'm the opposite with Camaros, so that's not really a big concern. Anything else to add?

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    stock for stock ls1 is faster...if ur planning on doing just bolt on's...i/e then get a ls1 u will be happier...but if u have big plans for ur car...than get a lt1 cuz u will save money buying the car and on parts....ls1 has typically 40-50rwhp on lt1s due their heads outflow lt1's....just swap the heads and the problem is fixed

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The problem with the opti is that its located right under the water pump. Electrical parts and liquids DON'T mix. So, if you develop a leak at the water pump or hoses, you're opti is in big trouble. Another thing with it is it's just so damn difficult to get to. Replacing it is just a chore. Even changing the wires for the passenger side can be a bitch to do.

I like the point made above; if you're just planning bolt-ons, go with the LS1. But if you plan on going big, the LT1 is as good of a platform as any. But the 'LS1 vs LT1' debate has been beaten into the ground in this forum and all around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    The problem with the opti is that its located right under the water pump. Electrical parts and liquids DON'T mix. So, if you develop a leak at the water pump or hoses, you're opti is in big trouble. Another thing with it is it's just so damn difficult to get to. Replacing it is just a chore. Even changing the wires for the passenger side can be a bitch to do.

I like the point made above; if you're just planning bolt-ons, go with the LS1. But if you plan on going big, the LT1 is as good of a platform as any. But the 'LS1 vs LT1' debate has been beaten into the ground in this forum and all around the world.
    exactly what he said...the opti has nothing to do with the reliability of the engine itself...the opti is just a poor design...and its not like its the end of the world if it happens...just replace it..it only happens on average 40-50k miles

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yep, poor design, poor location, and a piss-ass job to replace. Probably the single-worse thing about the LT1. But the reverse-flow cooling is good.

Yep, poor design, poor location, and a piss-ass job to replace. Probably the single-worse thing about the LT1. But the reverse-flow cooling is good.
    aggreeedd
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

green
    95 firebird

Well, there are two routes I'd want to go, so this is all speculation at this point. If its a daily driver, then I'd only do bolt-ons. If its a project, I'd want to go forced induction. So I guess I'm looking at an LS1 daily or an LT1 project in the future.

Black
    1996 Trans Am

I have own both, I had a 98 Camaro LS1 and now I own a 96 T/A LT1. Both cars are fun and I do agree the Ls1 is quicker stock but I am now in the process of building a 396 ci for the LT1. As for working on them it is difficult if you do not have a lift. As for the price difference if you look around you can get either one for a reasonable price. I brought the LS1 with 13000 miles on it for 7000(reason for this it had been hit in the left rear quarter and the quarter panel was replaced. but you could not tell it) and the LT1 with 90000 for 3500. So if you want a daily driver they are both dependable and as for mods well the LS1 has more to offer but I enjoy the LT1 more than the LS1. But as for Looks the ram air LS1 T/A is the best looking car in my opinion as long it is a dark color car (Black being my favorite).

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    stock for stock ls1 is faster...if ur planning on doing just bolt on's...i/e then get a ls1 u will be happier...but if u have big plans for ur car...than get a lt1 cuz u will save money buying the car and on parts....ls1 has typically 40-50rwhp on lt1s due their heads outflow lt1's....just swap the heads and the problem is fixed

Umm... yeah... you cant just swap the heads between an LT1 and an LS1

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I think he was referring to swapping the heads of the LT1 with an aftermarket set, not swapping with a set of LS1 heads.

black
    1999 trans am

i would go with the ls1 car hands down. in the long run they can make more power for less money than an lt1 and i think they are more reliable than a lt1. if you look around you can find a good deal on a ls1 car paid 5500 for my wife's 98 T/A with 90k on it, and my 99 T/A i payed 8600 for it with 66k on it. if your buying form a dealer don't take the first second or third dollar amount they give you

Black
    1997 Camaro Z28

I think he was referring to swapping the heads of the LT1 with an aftermarket set, not swapping with a set of LS1 heads.

I hope so!

Once serious modding begins, the comparisons get a little harder and the debate gets reduced to a pissing contest.

Thread Information