Black
    1996 camaro Z28

OptiSpark Questions..

Hey they this is the second thread i post.. well i had my engine rebuilt like 2 weeks ago and well the lil details came up.. a leaking hose... then well now a broken hose because they "Hook me up" with the hoses.. the old ones.. but ok other than cooling problems i think i now have a optispark problem.. the revs tend to drop a lil and well the engine doesnt seem to be running fine.. i have taken the car back like 3 times already and well i just have no look so im thinking about taking it to my mechanic back home {300 miles away} as soon as i fix the cooling problems.. so is the Opti dead again?, so here is my question... Are those MSD Optispark cap and rotor kits easy to instal.. i mean im not thinking about doing it myself... i just wonder if special tools are needed... or somethin... i just want to replace the optispark again ($400 dollar+ labor= 800 something).. { the first time was like a year ago} i expect it since i had 14X,XXX miles back then but i didnt expect it to go bad so soon... can i just replace the cap and rotor and be ok??? IM college student.. so money is an issue..

camaro_ss_97_
    hey man i jusy bought an msd opti unit and it was only 150.00 there is a more expensive one that is for race setup and it is like 550 or something, i am going to put my opti in next weekend and am hoping i have all the right tools. not sure if there are any special tools needed. but anyway good luck. and oh the dealer told me that for labor it was going to be 4hrs @ 60.00 per hour. so you should not get charged that much more at the dealer. if you need to know the site to get the msd opti just let me know

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

hey man when u say u bought the set up unit from msd u mean the cap and rotor? or the whole unit??? because if its the whole unit ill definite want the website from the new msd unit... keep me updated of how that install goes... ill really want to know whats my best choice.. ohh and thanx fro the price up date...

red
    94 Z28

MSD dosn't make the whole unit.

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

Quote Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
    MSD dosn't make the whole unit.
    Here ya go http://www.msdignition.com/2006/06-4.htm

red
    94 Z28

OK....They didn't make the whole Opti until now. I wonder how much that costs.

teal
    95 z/28 m6

summit was supposed to sell it for 469.99 but its backordered

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

The only thing other than regular sockets etc that you will need is either a torx or a reverse torx socket, I have seen them both ways

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

alright.. its not that bad i guess.. yeap the whole opti unit its on demand huh... i wanted one of those when i saw it but that price just tells me not now.. ill try the cap and rotor.. if u guys say aight that bad then aight that bad to do it... ill give it a try.. or should i have a mechainc do it???

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

It isn't as bad of a job as people make out of it. It's crap to go through all that for a dist, but not really that bad overall. If you need anything else hit us up

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

Thanx.. i will.. u can be sure about it... ill probably have a friend who is a mechanic.. stop by and be there just in case i need his intervention.. he will probably end up doing most of the work if i buy him some refreshments... what are friends for if not help ???
    BTW... do i need to take out the water pump???

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

yeah, the opti is under it

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

Yeah i figured.. ill need to call my friend Lazy me..

blue
    1994 camaro low 12's

You can buy a lifetime waranteed opti from the local auto parts store here in texas for about $150 and I found a msd cap and rotor for about $150 on EBAY, You can do the r&r in about 3 or 4 hours if your a novice like me, I replaced the opti and didn't have the money to do the cap and rotor so about a month later it started running bad so I got to repeat the process to do the cap & rotor. You just need some sockets extentions. the msd came with a tool to take the cap off the opti but you have to have that tool to get them apart, I could not find anything to take them apart had to borrow one from a mechanic the first time.

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

i dont understand what u did? whats the r&r? i dont have the money to buy the optispark unit but i think i can buy the cap and rotor would i be ok ???

Black
    1996 camaro Z28

ok so i look up summit racing and their msd & accel cap and rotors are out of stop they only on have their summit product and the GM Unit which i think i can afford.. should just buy that and intall it?? sould i add some silicon? on the edges so water.. dirt doesnt get in... what i can do...???

Thread Information