Thread: Opticspark

red
    1994 pontiac formula v8

Opticspark

Hi im new here well not so new but its my first post in this board. But I do have a question for you guys out there. What is the best replacement for a opticspark for a 94 formula V8? I have taken my car to the dealer and to som eother mechanic and they both told me that my opticspark was the problem for my engine. So i wanna buy a good or great product but i have no clue who makes the best opticspark. guys have any idea who does?

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Many would recommend doing away with the optispark all together. But to answer your question, besides the new MSD performace optispark your only other choice is the factory AC Delco part. Also, replace your coil with at least a MSD blaster coil and obviously your plugs and wires while you are at it.

red
    1994 pontiac formula v8

and the spark plugs so all I need is the opticspark. Ok now tell me how can I do with out the opticspark? What product can replace it all together?

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

You can't do away with the opti. You still need the optical part inside for the car to run. So even if you go to the coilpac set up you still need the optical(which is the part that usually goes bad) for firing each coil. So you can't just do away with the opti.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

he's right, you have to keep the part that is the major downfall of the opti

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

I have always assumed that you swith do a stand alone ignition system or something similar made for the lt1. Anyway, just order the MSD opti with blaster coil, replace them, and be done with it. If you do it yourself notice that you will have to pull you water pump and will need gaskets and a little fluid for that.

red
    1994 pontiac formula v8

Well I guess I have to buy the MSD well thanx you guys been cool. I would try to Put it in by myself but im no mechaninc so I know I would mess things up. So im gonna have to pay some one to do it.

4 cyl colorado

I put a Dynaspark unit on my '94. It's a nice piece but probably not worth the extra $$.

red
    1994 pontiac formula v8

yeah i heard about the dynaspark but i have never look into it. can you shed some light to it for me?

4 cyl colorado

Evidently Dynatech Inc. has sold the rights to the Dynaspark LTx distributor. Here is a link to the new folks.
    http://www.dynaspark.net/

badassvette
    on my 93z28 lt1, the rotor in my distributer shatered. i was stranded on the road. i had to call my mom and tell her to toe me home. i was not to far. i put the msd cap and rotor in and ever since then the car has been running awsome!! its a bitch to put in.

Impounded
    1995 Z28/SS

It is somewhat of a hassle but I would recommend going to a vented setup. It is supposed to make you opti last longer but I have had much luck with optis as it it. There are a few more parts to buy but many have had success with the switch over

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

The vented set up was in response to carbon buildup that occurred in the earlier opti-spark and causing crossfiring. By having air vented through the cap this buildup was inhibited. If buying an aftermarket piece such as MSD, I do not believe that this would be an issue.

NBM
    98 Trans Am convertible

Accel now makes a replacement for opti- http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by badassvette View Post
    on my 93z28 lt1, the rotor in my distributer shatered. i was stranded on the road. i had to call my mom and tell her to toe me home. i was not to far. i put the msd cap and rotor in and ever since then the car has been running awsome!! its a bitch to put in.
    before it went did it make a ticking sound? mine is doing that and I think that i might have to change it out.

The Mudkat
    "The good Lord sez he can get me outta this, but he sez he's pretty sure you're *****d!"

white
    2000 SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_95z View Post
    It is somewhat of a hassle but I would recommend going to a vented setup. It is supposed to make you opti last longer but I have had much luck with optis as it it. There are a few more parts to buy but many have had success with the switch over
    I got some excellent instructions to make a vented setup for a 94 LT1 on paper and I've done the Opti Replace with a vented setup. It's not really that tough a job if you have an afternoon and the right tools. U can do it with the car on ramps and you need sockets/extensions and pully puller. You definitely want to replace the water pump while in there, since you gotta take it off anyways...if you do your new vented opti correctly, you'll be waterproof and dry. Let me know if there is interest and I'll find and post them. I could wash my engine compartment with no fear after my opti replacement.

Now I have an LS1, so no issues anymore.

Black
    1997 Chevy Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by TVRspeed12 View Post
    Hi im new here well not so new but its my first post in this board. But I do have a question for you guys out there. What is the best replacement for a opticspark for a 94 formula V8? I have taken my car to the dealer and to som eother mechanic and they both told me that my opticspark was the problem for my engine. So i wanna buy a good or great product but i have no clue who makes the best opticspark. guys have any idea who does?

MSD opti is the best on the market IMHO.

Impounded
    1995 Z28/SS

Quote Originally Posted by heliskiier View Post

Now I have an LS1, so no issues anymore.
    Thats what I will have too if I have any more problems out of this distributor

Thread Information