9 39.13%
  • eBay "openbox GM"

1 4.35%
  • Accel

0 0%
  • MSD

13 56.52%

Opti replacement

GM Direct, "GM openbox eBay", Accel, MSD?

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    GM Direct, "GM openbox eBay", Accel, MSD?
    stay away from accel, i don't trust ebay stuff. gm direct is just what it is, oem part. i have only seen 1 or 2 people complain (nothing is perfect)about the msd . myself i am buying a dynaspark. we had a gp going but not enough people got on board to make it good. i am still going to buy 1 but now i am stuck paying 557. thats better than 600 though.

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

Im going to get the MSD myself. I have a few friends running them and they've had no problems yet. It's a decision you'll have to make though. Everybody has heard good and bad about everything, so I think it's just a matter of personal opinion. Good luck with your choice, because it's a hard one.

But yeah I would stay away from the open box special on ebay. Just my .02

Wierd though, I can find a million posts on how sucky the GM opti is, how it fails so often, yadda yadda... but everyone still recommends it. But other then promo ad's sponsered by the actual companies, i can find next to zilch on the accel or msd. (in terms of quality, failures, etc.)

i was considering the coil over conversion but last thing i need is to over complicate shit right now, i'm already running into bugs from the heads/cam install, who knows what would happen if i try and throw in a whole new ignition type! plus i was reading it actually still uses the optical pickups in the opti to function! which means i'd have to replace my opti ANYWAY just to get rid of it! i just cant win.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

When mine goes out, I am planning on going with Delteq's opti-replacement. Its basically like the LTCC conversion, but this one is a bolt-on, plug-and-play system with no fabbing like the other one.

thats the one i was looking at, you need a working opti to use it LOL the pickup sensor is whats bugged with mine so... plus the cost, ouch.

silver
    1995 formula

The stock unit got some flaws but is really reliable.The main problem of it,is the shitty oem cap/rotor.The optical sensor is pretty strongth.

The ACCEL is a piece of crap.It have a oil lite bushing instead of a bearing wich sucks big time.

The MSD one is way to expensive fo what it is.Its a better built unit but not worth hthe cost.

The DYNASPARK IS the best opti out there.Little expensive but worth every penny.

My suggestion:-stock GM opti with a msd cap/rotor kit .The thing to do is change the the cap/rotor kit once in a while,like every 5 years when you chage your coolant.

I personnally run a stock GM opti with a Delteqs system and everything work great.The opti will last way longer since there is no high voltage passing thrue it anymore.Also the delteqs is a plug an play unit so no modification needed.

I had asked awhile back but i dont think it was ever answered... when i was trying to figure out what was wrong with the car. it started to buck from idle to about 2k rpm then is fine, its worse when its a fresh start. i have an obd2 monitor on my cellphone via bluetooth adapter so i was monitoring the o2's, everythings fine, plugs, wires etc are all good. everyone was tellin me it was most likely the opti, and when i brought it to a garage they "hooked it up to some machine" and told me it was the opti cross/miss firing, said it wasnt picking up the timing well anymore.

now.... i was under the assumption that that ment the sensor was bad, but now i'm thinkin perhaps its the cap/rotor? could i get away with replacing it with the msd? i'm really hurtin for money and $150 is much better then $250 and the install price is also that much less... i know its already going to cost a few hundred to just install!

how could i tell if its a cap/rotor issue or a sensor issue? its not throwing any codes, and its not detecting any misfires. its pulling knock retard, but not detecting any knock (thought that was wierd) but only in that rpm range.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

To see if its the signal, check this out. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

One of the most important things, is checking the rotor! Even GM's cheap plastic designed rotors can be cheaply made. The first one I bought, I took back right away and got another one! The second one was a little better!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    I had asked awhile back but i dont think it was ever answered... when i was trying to figure out what was wrong with the car. it started to buck from idle to about 2k rpm then is fine, its worse when its a fresh start. i have an obd2 monitor on my cellphone via bluetooth adapter so i was monitoring the o2's, everythings fine, plugs, wires etc are all good. everyone was tellin me it was most likely the opti, and when i brought it to a garage they "hooked it up to some machine" and told me it was the opti cross/miss firing, said it wasnt picking up the timing well anymore.

now.... i was under the assumption that that ment the sensor was bad, but now i'm thinkin perhaps its the cap/rotor? could i get away with replacing it with the msd? i'm really hurtin for money and $150 is much better then $250 and the install price is also that much less... i know its already going to cost a few hundred to just install!

how could i tell if its a cap/rotor issue or a sensor issue? its not throwing any codes, and its not detecting any misfires. its pulling knock retard, but not detecting any knock (thought that was wierd) but only in that rpm range.
    Cool! Tell me about the "( i have an obd2 monitor on my cellphone via bluetooth adapter so i was monitoring the o2's, everythings fine, plugs, wires etc )" ????? How does it work and where do you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by always faster View Post
    The stock unit got some flaws but is really reliable.The main problem of it,is the shitty oem cap/rotor.The optical sensor is pretty strongth.

The ACCEL is a piece of crap.It have a oil lite bushing instead of a bearing wich sucks big time.

The MSD one is way to expensive fo what it is.Its a better built unit but not worth hthe cost.

The DYNASPARK IS the best opti out there.Little expensive but worth every penny.

My suggestion:-stock GM opti with a msd cap/rotor kit .The thing to do is change the the cap/rotor kit once in a while,like every 5 years when you chage your coolant.

I personnally run a stock GM opti with a Delteqs system and everything work great.The opti will last way longer since there is no high voltage passing thrue it anymore.Also the delteqs is a plug an play unit so no modification needed.
    I dont have a catalog with me but what are the price differences? I thought the MSDs and Accel's would be cheaper than a Delco cuz of the supply & demand factor.

I have this software for my computer and for pocket pc... and i bought the bluetooth adapter for the obd2 plug they supply you with and it connects via bluetooth to my pda which is also my cellphone... verizon version of the ppc 6700... think verizons model number is xv6700 but a bunch of phone companies use the same pda and just call it thier own thing.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

softwares awesome, you can record things to spreadsheets or as text files, or save them and play them back, or just watch them. love it.

Purple
    1996 Formula

i just switched tot he DYNASPARK and it has so far lasted longer than my last 3 optis combined. (about 1000 miles lol). it feels strong, no missed and it is a well built peice. i say it is worth every penny.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

id go with a ls1 coilpak conversion. youl never have a problem with optispark ever again... caus it wont be there

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    id go with a ls1 coilpak conversion. youl never have a problem with optispark ever again... caus it wont be there
    +1 that is the only way to go

95 TA A4, Black on Black C5 Z06 wheels, CAI, 160 powerstat, TB coolent bypass, TB foil, LT4 Knock Sensor, STB, SFC, Poly trans and torque arm mounts, flowmaster muffler, gutted cat, and hypertech tuned.
    http://www.fquick.com/SexyTransAm

Black
    93 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post

Indeed, getting the delteq and not looking back. No matter how good these options are, they are still Optis and I have heard alot of negative feedback. I don't have the $$$ to keep replacing these things so I'd rather spend a bit more and never have the problem again. Of course, if my optical sensor is bad then I would have shelled out alot of cash just to need a new opti anyway...

If the GM one will last 100k miles, then why buy one that is more expensive than the GM version? Mine just went out at 97k miles and I ain't going to have this car another 50k even. If I have it 20k more I'd be surprised. Its like why do people buy a 5-year battery when the average they only keep a car is 2 - 3 years?

Thread Information