Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

Not wanting to stay running

On monday my car started missing when i got in the throttle. I started smelling a wire burning. The number 7 plug wire was touching the header and was sparking. It burned the wire in half so i replaced the wire. On Tuesday I was driving for about an hour and it started acting up again. This time the car shut off. I checked the wire and It was fine not touching anything. The car would not start back up. Had to tow it home luckely I was only about 3 miles from home and used the companys rollback. This morning when i got home from work I went to the car and started it. It started right up no missing or skipping. I let it warm up and I held it at 3,000rpms and no skipping. I was getting ready to take it out to see what it was going to do and before i got back in the car it shut off. It started right back up. Did the same thing within 10 mins. Seams when it gets hot it will die. It did this same thing back in September and I had a brand new distributor, plugs, wires, Icm, coil, and computer put in it. Does anyone think that the distributor is going again.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

is it a new GM Opti? Or a rebuilt one from a parts store

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

sounds like a real head scratcher. this doesnt sound like its your distributer. kinda sounds like if it will run alittle bit then die it might be worth checking your fuel pressure. do you turn your key on and wait on the fuel pump to load before you start up?

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

It was brand new. I was around 370.00. I was messing with the car and when it was skiping i held it at 3000rpm and it stoped and pulled the vacuum line off of the air intake and held my finger over the end. Had a weak vacuum and it started skiping again. I got good vacuum now and the car ran for about 45mins without cutting off. I still have not drove it yet. But i still think that it is not fixed. I noticed a little bit of an oil drip comming from the front seal. I will be able to get into it a little more on friday, but any suggestions on what to look for or try would help me out a lot.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

When i start the car i turn the key on and wait for the security light to go off. Then i start it. Fuel pressure is not a problem. I have brand new fuel pump and filter that was also put on in september. I am getting 42 on the fuel pressure
    Last edited by 95Firebirdred; 01-21-2009 at 04:45 PM.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

problem is still not fixed. I started the car and was letting in warm up to take it out and see what it would do. Ran for 10mins and cut off and would not start back up. While i was trying to start it the rpms were jumping up to 6000 and back to 3000. They were going back in forth. Never would start though. I pulled the intake off and disconected the iac and the maf sensor along with the vacuum line. The car started right back up. So while it was running i put everything back on. Started to act like it was going to cut back off but never would die all the way. I checked for vacuum leaks and found none. What the hell is that about.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

The car is going in the shop to be fixed this week. When it is fixed it is going to be sold. The lt1 is a big headach. Maybe i will get a ls1 that way i don't have to worry about the opti just the coils.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

let us know what you find out.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

I have had the car running the past 2 days. All i did was reset the compter and cleaned the fuel filter. I took the car out yester day and it was running good so i decided to see what it would do. I took it to 30mph in 1st gear and floored it and had the car busted out sideways in thtough 3rd. Drove the car about 25 miles and no problem. I have no clue as to what caused this other than a dirty filter. I had a code for iac sensor but all i did was cleaned up the sensor that was in there. Anyone have any idea what happened here?

red
    95 Z28

Cleaned the fuel filter? I hope you mean you replaced it, right?

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

yup. But i took the old one and blew air through it and it had some trash come out of it. It has a brand new one on there now.

327-TPI/A4
    1992 Trans am

my old 95 t/a gave me a ton of problems one summer and some sound like yours.

i had a plug wire go bad and arc'd against the block and head a lot. LONG story short turned out the coil had become damaged and also my ecu got fried from teh eletric current.

my cooling fans acted up...car randomly died....fire up when it felt like it.

id have the ecm tested and get a coil(maybe a ign module also)

these are what fixed my car when it did what yours is kinda doing

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

I have a brand new coil icm and ecu on the car. I got these in september. I took the car out for a lil while early this morning and it ran fine. Felt good to be back in it after driving my 87 s-15 with a 2.8 liter v6.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

Took the car to a shop today. They scanned it for me for free. It came back with 8 different codes. Nothing to do with the opti. The car is running a little rich. What all can cause it to run rich. One of the codes was a o2 sensor.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

glad to hear your car is getting back on track. sounds like it was fuel pressure related are you still gonna sell it for a ls1?

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

i need one more thing. I am going to order 8mm plug wires and put them on. My distributor puts out 37000 volts. I have a plug that is not firing properly and it is causing the car to run rich. The shop told me that one wire was going bad because it didn't have the right wire. easy fix. i love my car and really dont want to get rid of it.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i just put 8mm taylors on $60 i likem.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

i just ordered 8mm wires from Jegs and my total was less than 40 bucks. I think this will fix the whole problem. I am also running rapid fire plugs. When you put those 8mm on you car did it make a difference in mpg. I am thinking that a 7mm wire was not big enough to run the rapid fire plug. I am 85% sure that i am going to keep the car.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

today i put my new wires on. 8mm. Talk about a pain in the ass. The rubber boot that goes on the plug was to long and had to change them. Car runs good but i have to figure out why it starts missing at 4000rpms. I am hoping that it is just a wire not pluged in good. the car sounds normal though and it is throwing me off.

Thread Information