Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Normal Operating Temp of a 97 LT1

Just curious what the normal/light load (read: low air movement over the radiator) temp should be on the gauge inside the car. I know if i'm going about 20 mph (uphill to my house, slight grade) the temp will climb near the 200-210 mark. I'm not sure what temp stat is in it, i'm guessing stock (around 190-195 probably?) and I'd like to just know what i should expect to see under these kinds of conditions. It's also crept up this hot before just idling, and I'm not sure if the electric fans come on or not (bought the car used with no history). Also, what temp are the fans supposed to come on, or should i look into hardwiring them?

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Just curious what the normal/light load (read: low air movement over the radiator) temp should be on the gauge inside the car. I know if i'm going about 20 mph (uphill to my house, slight grade) the temp will climb near the 200-210 mark. I'm not sure what temp stat is in it, i'm guessing stock (around 190-195 probably?) and I'd like to just know what i should expect to see under these kinds of conditions. It's also crept up this hot before just idling, and I'm not sure if the electric fans come on or not (bought the car used with no history). Also, what temp are the fans supposed to come on, or should i look into hardwiring them?
    normal in low air moving environments to see that temp , in warm weather. also if the stock thermostat is still being used. let it idel for awhile and make sure the fans are coming on.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Well, its right around 50-ish farenheit around these parts, which is the reason why i ask. I also know that the stock temp gauges really aren't all too accurate, another reason.

Red
    1995 Trans Am

I dont know about the OBDII cars, but my 95 TA will sit at 210 at idle in traffic and creep up to about 230 degrees if for a long time. I guess the fans have 2 speeds and the second one doesnt kick in till around 230 degrees. Once im doing 55+ my temp gauge drops to 175.

What i dont like is the fact the the cars use 2 different sensors for temp. One is for the sending unit for the gauge in the dash and the other is for the pcm. PCM is the one on the water pump, but the sender is on the drivers side of the cyc head under the damn exhaust manifold so i dont really know how accurate that can be

red
    95 Z28

manual fan switch is your friend

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Yeah, while driving mine runs around the 175 mark as well. It just worried me that sitting idling in this cool weather its running up just under 210. I plan to flush the rad. sometime soon, as I need to get the low coolant sensor out and clean that up (throws a light on occasion even though its full).

Whats the best way to get rid of the unhealthy dexcool film all over everything in the system?

red
    96 ss

just buy some flush and get to it. make sure you use distilled water when you fill it back up, with the dex.

red
    95 Z28

Whats the best way to get rid of the unhealthy dexcool film all over everything in the system?

methanol based flush. run it through the system and get the car good and hot.

Red
    1995 Chevy Camaro

230*...... Id just shut it off if mine got that hot! 160* stat is $29 and a manual fan is $55. Under $100 and stay cool with out a worry. And there both easy installs.

Down side is the heat sucks in the winter with a 160 stat.

red
    1994 Camaro Z28

My 94 LT A4 stock has had all kindsa cooling issues ...traceable to water pump itself being old...and radiator flow issues. After replacement of both, runs right on thermostat 'cept idling in hot traffic when it will creep up some. But it no longer triggers the fans except in extreme situations...used to wear those fans out at slow/stop running conditions.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I may upgrade to the 160* stat just because i hate a hot-running motor, I have a serious issue with engine temps that I just don't like, i've never warped any heads and i don't plan to start, lol. I figure once it warms up a bit, it'll be good time to flush, new stat, and maybe this manual switch job. The car is parked during the winter so heating issues are nil. Also, where's the best place to install the manual toggle so that it doesn't look out of place?

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

My Electric fan kicks in at 160, and is failry loud. Many mistake it for a blower.
    I like it, and since I seldom drive it in cold weather, I do not have a problem with it.
    It will run around 200 and 210, wich is not that bad.

As far as installing the switch, you can get anykind you want. I would install one under the dash. Maybe lighted so you do not forget it is on.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I believe it was in Mad Max where they used switch-operated blowers?

Thread Information