Red
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

New to the F-Body World, Your help is needed...

Well, my 99 Mustang GT was recently totalled and I picked up a 97 Trans Am with 6spd for only $7500 and the car has right at 66,xxx miles on it.

I'm pretty much new to the LT1 world since all I really know is the modular power robber 4.6 motor.

My questions for you guys are...

Anything different I need to look for and doing maintenance?

What freaking oil does Pontiac recommend because I cannot find it in the freaking owners manual?

And then for the performance stuff,

I'm looking to make 450rwhp N/A and I've been browsing this forum for a while and I think I'm going to go for Heads, Cam, LT Headers, and a dyno tune. With these upgrades, will I reach my power goals?

Right now the car has as listed:

- SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    - SLP Cold Air Intake
    - Electric Water Pump
    - Hypertech Handheld Tune
    - Hurt Short Shifter
    - 4.56 Gears
    - Eibach Springs

Also, is there any parts I just need to upgrade right now before I tackle the heads, cam and all or should I just dive right into it?

Thanks for you help guys, looking forward to posting on this forum alot more.

Oh yeah, a pic of my car too.
    Last edited by shad0ws; 05-14-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Mystic Teal
    1997 Camaro Z-28

well one thing to know is the optispark distributers are a commone problem on the LT-1 cars. they get condensation inside of them and they tend to be ruined after so long. (some people have better luck with this than others) as for horsepower, http://eportworks.com/LT1LE2.htm lloyd elliot does porting to the stock heads, and if you get his le-2 package you will be right around 420 hp or so.....if you do longtubes, most people say the loudmouth is too much (myself included) i hated my car after i put the longtubes on. it was just so damn loud, it was obnoxious. i switched to the corsa exhuast. from the factory they say use 5w-30 motor oil. i use 10w-30 in my car. the brand it up to you, but i use castrol syntec blend. also take the hypertec tune out and put the stock tune back in, and send your pcm to pcmforless and get a mail order tune. ive heard tons of horror storys fromt he hypertec.

Red
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
    well one thing to know is the optispark distributers are a commone problem on the LT-1 cars. they get condensation inside of them and they tend to be ruined after so long. (some people have better luck with this than others) as for horsepower, lloyd elliot does porting to the stock heads, and if you get his le-2 package you will be right around 420 hp or so.....if you do longtubes, most people say the loudmouth is too much (myself included) i hated my car after i put the longtubes on. it was just so damn loud, it was obnoxious. i switched to the corsa exhuast. from the factory they say use 5w-30 motor oil. i use 10w-30 in my car. the brand it up to you, but i use castrol syntec blend. also take the hypertec tune out and put the stock tune back in, and send your pcm to pcmforless and get a mail order tune. ive heard tons of horror storys fromt he hypertec.
    I heard there was a Coil Pack kit to replace the Optispark system...
    Where can I get one of these and for how much?

Mystic Teal
    1997 Camaro Z-28

nothing "eliminates" the opti.....but this is what ur looking for.....read away bud. lol http://delteq.com/default.htm

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

For what you are going to pay for the coil pacs you can just buy a new opti.

Where in central VA are you located?

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

Oh...By the way welcome, and nice car.

Red
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Blown25thT/A
    For what you are going to pay for the coil pacs you can just buy a new opti.

Where in central VA are you located?
    I'm located in Lynchburg VA

Mystic Teal
    1997 Camaro Z-28

a coil pack system, tries to do away with as much as the opti as possible....why spend the same amount of money for the msd opti when in my opinion it has the possbility of doing the same thing of malfunctioning?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You won't have troubles with a 97 opti if you take the right precautions. Mine went out at 170,000ish and that was only after taking it for a swim on a flooded street. It's the early years that had the most troubles, once they added the vent it really helped out a lot. Just make sure you install the water pump good so you don't get any leaks on the opti, and take precautions to keep antifreeze from running down onto it when you bleed the cooling system and you shouldn't have any troubles. The main concern is did the previous owner take care of it while he had it, you could get screwed by his lacking precaution

That's a smooth 97

Mystic Teal
    1997 Camaro Z-28

my opti took a shit at 59,000 miles if i can recall correctly. its the belly of the beast....some last long, some dont.....

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Good luck, I have the 95 which is idental except for the rims and the silver lettering/strip. Things to go wrong are:

1: Powerwindow motor. Clean the regulator and re-lube.
    2: Power door lock switch. $ 12 from the dealer and 20 minutes to install.
    3: Rear tag light. Socket went bad, $ 10 from dealer, 10 minutes to replace.
    4: Intake manifold oil leak (oil runs down the back of the motor). Waiting for annual inspection in July to have fix, figure it'll be around $ 300.
    5: EGR (SES light will go off)
    6: Replaced fog lights (do both at same time)
    7: Replaced head lights (do both at same time)
    8: Replace air filter
    9: Replace gas filter (system is high-presure, let an expert do it)
    10: Headliner is worn around the rim of the T-roof. Elmer glued it back together. Heck, the last guy who owned it for 4 years drove it all summers with the roofs off. He had indoor parking.

Little history: 3rd owner, had it for 4 years and 20K miles. Use Mobel 1, GM filter and change oil in spring and fall.

Wash, wax and enjoy!

Mystic Teal
    1997 Camaro Z-28

seppburgh were in central pa are u located?

Both white
    An LT1 and an LS1

seppburgh has some good info.

I've owned my car since new. I use mobil-1 5w-30 synthetic - have since about 2,000 miles. My car has been good but has had a few items:

Had the intake leak (replaced under warranty) and headlight motors (out of warranty) go. I've also had EGR and AIR pump issues.

With respect to the EGR, there is a recall on them. IIRC, it's VIN-related. If your car is one with the VIN, and if you're car's in service date is less than 10 years and you have less than 100K miles, it should be covered free. I think the AIR pump is free regardless of VIN.

Nice car!! LT1s are cool and yours should be much quicker than your 4.6.
    4.56s are VERY steep gears - you'll be shifting to 5th in the quarter if you are using the stock redline.

Red
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 96ta
    seppburgh has some good info.

I've owned my car since new. I use mobil-1 5w-30 synthetic - have since about 2,000 miles. My car has been good but has had a few items:

Had the intake leak (replaced under warranty) and headlight motors (out of warranty) go. I've also had EGR and AIR pump issues.

With respect to the EGR, there is a recall on them. IIRC, it's VIN-related. If your car is one with the VIN, and if you're car's in service date is less than 10 years and you have less than 100K miles, it should be covered free. I think the AIR pump is free regardless of VIN.

Nice car!! LT1s are cool and yours should be much quicker than your 4.6.
    4.56s are VERY steep gears - you'll be shifting to 5th in the quarter if you are using the stock redline.
    Yeah, they are a little stiff for daily driving. We don't even really have a quarter in decent distance where I live. Only 1/8th's and the only quarters are about an hour and a half away.

Thread Information