Teal Green w/White Stripe
    94 LT1 385 stroker Camaro

My stroker WONT start Need Help!!!

Ok I think I know where the problems is but I need your imput to make sure my theory is right and how to fix it.

APPLICATION:
    94 LT1 rebuilt to 385 stroker 224/236 XE cam. High Compression pistons, Ported heads. Stock Fuel system, stock injectors, brand new fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter.

ADDED PARTS:
    About two months while building my car, I ran over to the junk yard and found a donor camaro and obtained the following parts.
    4L60E trans
    PCM
    Vented Opti
    MAF.
    and some other goodies.

THE PROBLEM.
    Car will not start!! I go to crank the motor and it cranks and cranks with very little often times wanting to fire but no start at all.

My Diagnosis.
    SPARK:
    First thing I did was check for spark. I pulled out the number one spark plug wire and placed a spark plug on top of the intake manifold. Started the car and I saw a blue spark coming from the plug which tells me that the opti spark is working. Next I wanted to verify that the coil was working so I pulled the plug wire off of the opti. Placed it on the intake and started the car and saw a spark coming that end. So at this point im telling myself that I have plenty of spark.

FUEL: Before all of this occured I thought I didnt have any gas. I put gas in it and checked the fuel pressure. I placed the gauge on the shrader valve, turn the key on and the gauge went up like it should. So this tells me that fuel is getting to the rails.
    NOW FOR THE INTERESTING finding,
    After being confused on this whole thing I pulled out the number one spark PLUG checked to see if there was any fuel on the plug and I smelled NO FUEL at all, Which tells me that the injectors are aren't working.
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM MY FINDINGS???.
    The only thing that I can think of is that the PCM that I purchased is has not been programed yet for my car however I dont see why it still would not start. The only mod that I have is a cam. ALSO. the opti spark that I pulled off the DONOR car had an VENTED opti. Which tells me its possibly a 95 because I think they were standard on the 95 LT1. So if my opti is from a 95 then that means my PCM is from a 95. Please HELP!!!
    Chris

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Test your no fuel theory with a little spray of starting fluid (ether) in the intake tube. If it runs for a few secs. then your no fuel theory is correct. If no start, I would then check your ignition timing, which is a tricky on this setup. Pull number 1 spark plug out and index top dead center on either stroke - doesn't matter. Paint a white mark on the crankshaft balancer/pulley. Install spark plug and wire, have a friend crank engine over, and check your mark with a timing light and see if its roughly the same area that you indexed earlier. I had a 1995 corvette before that had a screwed up opti spark in it. The actual shaft in the distributor was not lined up where it was supposed to be. The side that the camshaft turns was offset from the side the rotor button screws onto. It was a very weird situation, and took me 2 days to figure it out. It was firing 120 degrees off. I'll never forget that one. Good luck.

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

Your opti also provides the signal for the pcm to fire the injectors. I be sure all your grounds are good. Pull off one of the injector harnesses and be sure you have 11.88-12 volts on one side and ground on the other.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

You won't have ground on the other side of the injector. It should pulse ground while the engine is cranking over, but I doubt you'll even be able to read it on a voltmeter. Test light works good for this kind of testing.

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

The voltage is constant so that side is easy. Now for the other side with a multimeter (Like I said) it will pulse continuity. Its ever easier if you have a meter that puts out a tone.

Thread Information