Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

My Lt1 and Gas prices

I pump gas every 3rd day. about 34.00 gas being 2.99. I had an lt1 camaro and it swallowed lots of gas but it seems like this T/a lt1 is swallowing too much gas. My cousin has an ls1 and he dosent nearly spend the same amount. Maybe there is something wrong w/ it. Any body getting the same gas milage?

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Try taking your total miles driven on a tank and dividing it by the number of gallons to get your overall mpg. If it is a stock lt1 then all city driving should yield around 14-15 mpg. Freeway should be low to mid 20's. Mix of both should probably be in the higher teens. Of course this is driving with a pretty light foot. Certain mods and driving style can impact fuel economy greatly, so keep that in mind. Manual trans cars can also potentially do better than autos especially on the freeway with the high sixth gear overdrive. LS1s get better fuel milage stock for stock as opposed to lt1s.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Breech
    Try taking your total miles driven on a tank and dividing it by the number of gallons to get your overall mpg. If it is a stock lt1 then all city driving should yield around 14-15 mpg. Freeway should be low to mid 20's. Mix of both should probably be in the higher teens. Of course this is driving with a pretty light foot. Certain mods and driving style can impact fuel economy greatly, so keep that in mind. Manual trans cars can also potentially do better than autos especially on the freeway with the high sixth gear overdrive. LS1s get better fuel milage stock for stock as opposed to lt1s.
    IF that is the mileage that your car gets then that is sad. Stock and modified LT1s get better mileage than that. My car has some bolt ons and makes 309rwhp. I get 17-18mpg all city, occassional full throttle bursts, and around 30mpg on the highway.

And to the original poster, how are we supposed to know what mileage you are getting from the information you gave?

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Wow, that's some pretty impressive mileage. I figured that I'm not too far off on my economy according to the factory window sticker. Car was rated at 15mpg city and 20 something (I forgot exactly) freeway. I personally have never heard of a small block chevy getting 30 on the freeway. Hell, the four banger in my 2000 jetta only gets in the high 20's. More power to ya if you can get that kinda mileage, especially with fuel prices the way they are.

190 miles on 15.5 gallon tank equals micro-Einstein/Rosenbridge stellar object in my wallet sending my cash into another dimension. Highway I'm waaay better, gotta love 6th gear, "drafting" the old ladies and coasting downhill

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Breech
    Wow, that's some pretty impressive mileage. I figured that I'm not too far off on my economy according to the factory window sticker. Car was rated at 15mpg city and 20 something (I forgot exactly) freeway. I personally have never heard of a small block chevy getting 30 on the freeway. Hell, the four banger in my 2000 jetta only gets in the high 20's. More power to ya if you can get that kinda mileage, especially with fuel prices the way they are.

6th gear. stock rear axle gears. Some bolt ons that increase the efficiency of the motor and it's ability to breathe can actually help fuel mileage.

DisCrete
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked illusions
    I pump gas every 3rd day. about 34.00 gas being 2.99. I had an lt1 camaro and it swallowed lots of gas but it seems like this T/a lt1 is swallowing too much gas. My cousin has an ls1 and he dosent nearly spend the same amount. Maybe there is something wrong w/ it. Any body getting the same gas milage?
    My car has ~170,000 miles on it LT1
    City I get 18-20mpg... highway 25mpg
    I have a 22 gallon tank... and it would cost me over $60 to fill my tank.

Depending on gas octane... 87 for example I'd be filling up weekly.

running 92 and 93 octanes I can go almost 2 weeks b4 filling up again.

I don't do an incredible amount of driving.

but when I was driving 45miles to work 1 way 5 days a week.

using midgrade I would go through a tank in about 4-5 days b4 having to fill up again.

That's not pussy footing it to work either.
    Last edited by DisCrete; 09-06-2005 at 08:11 PM.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    6th gear. stock rear axle gears. Some bolt ons that increase the efficiency of the motor and it's ability to breathe can actually help fuel mileage.
    Agreed, headers are especially helpful. Wish I had a sixth gear, wish I had a manual for that matter but oh well.

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

My 95 Lt1 Ta with 93K, stock everything, still OEM Opti, plugs, wires and O2. Gas is around 18 in town and 25+ on open road with cruise on in 6th gear.

A few things to check:

1: Replace air cleaner.
    2: Keep oil changed and correct weight.
    3: If over 100K, replace plugs and wires. Dealer cost around $ 230.
    4: Correct tire pressure.
    5: Change rear diff. oil if not done so.
    6: Put a can of Cherveron with Techtron (not sure of the spelling). It costs around $5.00 but is the best. I run a can once every 6 months.

7: Right grade of gas. With the high cost, I'm still running 91 Sunco, Exxon, BP/Amaco. Not off brands such as Wal-Mart. It makes a difference with lower grad, two tanks of 89 and will notice. OK to run one tank 91, then a 1/2 fill with 89.

8: If on level ground, you can get away with running in 6th gear at 20 MPH.
    9: Read up on driving tips. The LT1 has lots of ump and can get away with low MPH in 5th and 6th gear.
    10: Get a skip-shift eliminator. Skip-shift forces a 1 to 4th gear shift. It was a way for Pontiac to get around the EPN MPG rules. I run with a 1,3,5 shift which I feel is much better use of the motor then a high-rev in 1 and over to 4. Can creep along in traffic on ideal in 2th very well.

My two cents. But, above all. Enjoy it while the weather is nice. The winter is coming when its time to park it.

Take care.

Visit Steve's Garage
    Last edited by seppburgh; 09-08-2005 at 05:03 PM.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Some good pointers but be careful not to lug the engine to much. Puts unnecessary stress on the internals, mainly the crank. I drive mine year round

Sunset Orange Metallic
    01 Super Sexy SS

127 miles (driven)/12.5 galons=10.16 mpg. Lt1 t/a w/ exaust,intake and mass air flow sensor.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Yep, that's not good. I'd think that you'd have to be at WOT for most of the tank to get those numbers. BTW, I just filled up last night and I always write down my mpg, I got 151 miles/10.7 gal= 14.11mpg. That was on an all city tank and I let my friend drive once who just had to give it a couple WOT bursts. I'm headin out to test drive Saturn Ion Redline today. Almost as fast as a stock A4 LT1, over 20 mpg in town, and room for my daughter's car seat in the rear. All with a blown 4 banger Hmmmm, it's got me thinking.

sdm1234
    i agree it's good to run 5th or 6th gear at low MPH but not TOO low. i usually drive in whatever gear gets me closest to idle RPM, but never under that. i totally disagree with driving less than 40 MPH in 6th gear. if you do that long enough, you'll coat the injectors and will eventually need replacing. sure, the motor will run at those RPMs, but idle speed is whatever it is for a reason.

Check your O2's make sure they arent foul... a tune up wouldnt hurt either... dont forget to roll down hills to

that is pretty impressive for an impala. my 95 with 109xxx miles only gets aroung 13 mpg city and 20 mpg highway. it is all stock with new plugs, wires, and airfilter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisCrete
    My car has ~170,000 miles on it LT1
    City I get 18-20mpg... highway 25mpg
    I have a 22 gallon tank... and it would cost me over $60 to fill my tank.

Depending on gas octane... 87 for example I'd be filling up weekly.

running 92 and 93 octanes I can go almost 2 weeks b4 filling up again.

I don't do an incredible amount of driving.

but when I was driving 45miles to work 1 way 5 days a week.

using midgrade I would go through a tank in about 4-5 days b4 having to fill up again.

That's not pussy footing it to work either.

Canes2413
    i got about 260mi for my 14gallons but sometimes i feel like my tank goes fast as hell, and other times it takes about a week and a half of daily driving. overall its weird i got a 93 stock t/a

Tang419
    The '94 Z28 we ride to work in, has 200k miles, and with the slipping/dying auto trans, it averages about 19 with some mixed highway and city driving.

My '98 M6 would do 18-20 in city, and 27-28 highway.

Thread Information