Thread: MPG wtf

MPG wtf

Any reason my fuel economy would drop from 190 per tank to 140 in a matter of 1 tank of gas other then a leak?! even been way easier on the car since the snow/ice so its not me treating the throttle wrong.

None

It is still running and ideling the same?
    That is very odd!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Subscribed.

yup, idles and runs as it has the last year.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

mine is the same went for 180-200 down to 120-170 pushing it depending on were i drive got 15mpg last tank and that was all city... I dunno maybe they are putting more ethanol in our fuel

I've always noticed that the weather is a huge factor. If you've been getting the same single digit weather we've been getting here in pa, it's that... well, couple w/any kind of snow/ice on the ground that you have to slosh through. Everything takes a toll on your gas mileage... i.e. driving slower in a lower gear, more rolling resistance from snow/ice on the ground. The biggest factor is always the fact that cars always dump more fuel in (run very rich) before they're warmed up, so the colder it is, the longer it'll be running rich, and giving you worse gas mileage. There's no way around it aside from keeping your car in a temperature controlled garage... but if you have the money for that, then there's not much point, lol. Hope this helps, but I've noticed this the past several years, and it could easily account for that change in fuel mileage.

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

winter gas blend decreases fuel economy.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

somebody stealin gas from you would produce such results, but i'd have to side with the winter weather and blend

my 4 cyl volvo get 15 mpg yea, its that bad

never thought of it, if anything i was going to assume better gas miliage with the cold air. meh...well see how this tank goes!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea theoretically the efficiency would be higher due to the lower cold reservoir temperature, but the colder temps cause more windage loss in the crankcase and all the other fluids are more viscous, plus cars are programmed to idle higher when the engine is cold in order to get the engine up to temp, and also warm up the catalyst, not to mention people letting their cars warm up too

my car hates the cold on a fresh start... if i hop in and go it bucks like mad for about a hundred yards or so before it smooths out, and if you take your foot off the gas instead of dropping to idle it revs at like 2k until you drop under 10mph before it goes back down... seriosuly fucking annoying, makes alot of noise obviously... makes sneaking in and out at morning/night hard, feel bad for the neighbors, not to mention how horrible it must be on my clutch, its impossible to control the rpm between shifts until it warms up

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    my car hates the cold on a fresh start... if i hop in and go it bucks like mad for about a hundred yards or so before it smooths out, and if you take your foot off the gas instead of dropping to idle it revs at like 2k until you drop under 10mph before it goes back down... seriosuly fucking annoying, makes alot of noise obviously... makes sneaking in and out at morning/night hard, feel bad for the neighbors, not to mention how horrible it must be on my clutch, its impossible to control the rpm between shifts until it warms up

Dude, something's wrong with your car.... actually, what isnt wrong with your car. You reeeaaaally need to take it to a competent mechanic (not the one who's been working on it)... to have it scanned and thoroughly looked over to solve the endless problems.

haha lots is wrong with that fucking car. everytime i get it in shape, something else happens. its just my curse. i have $22 in my checking, $25 in my savings, i work for circuit city who is going out of buisness, no insurance any longer, student loan repayments started this month, and there is an 18 month hiring freeze from the economy in my profession that i have only had a foot in door for for the last 3 years and my certification expires soon after they start hiring again. at this point im banking on a car wreck, lightning, fire, heart attack, or lotto ticket to fix things.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Winter gas sucks ass!!! I burned almost 1/16 of a tank waiting in line at my daughters school today for about 5 min!!! LOL I only payed attention because I noticed when I pulled up to the school that I was on E!!! Got lucky today.

White
    1989 caprice 9C1

winter gas was bad before , now that they started with this crappy ass ethanol, it makes it even worse. I don't understand how they say this shit is suppose to help, when it takes more gas to go the same distance, kinda evens out so give me NONethanol gas back.stupid democrats and enviro nazis.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

vacuum leak, headers leaking, MAF dirty. Like said above though, it would be best to take it to someone that can scan the car while driving to check out the LTFT.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea winter plus ethonal gas....

White
    01 SS Vert

Ethanol for the loss.

nvm

Thread Information