Thread: LT1s suck ;)

Purple
    1996 Formula

LT1s suck ;)

naw just kiddin guys thought i would say hi and tell ya for those who i know that i am back fro honduras after 2 years.... still the same old LT1 formula with the same old problems... but hopefully after a few weeks of butt hard mechanic work i will get the bad chick runnin agin

btw my name is braden and i love Lt1s

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The only things I hate about the LT1's are the opti and its placement (what the hell was GM thinking?), the castiron block, and the amount of room (or lack thereof) to work on the damn think.

Purple
    1996 Formula

meh the opti is the focus off al hate lol, poor little opti. i think i have had 4 or 5 and now i am goign to put the coil packs on the car and just run off the optical sensor part of the opti.. cutting the chance of it breaking my 50%... better odds hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    The only things I hate about the LT1's are the opti and its placement (what the hell was GM thinking?), the castiron block, and the amount of room (or lack thereof) to work on the damn think.
    They just did that for you.. Besides, just drill a hole in yours to ventilate it. =)

Purple
    1996 Formula

soon i will have half the opti prob solved with my new LTCC kit

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KillinFormula View Post
    soon i will have half the opti prob solved with my new LTCC kit
    Let us know how that thing turns out. Not too many people talk about it but sounds interesting.

Purple
    1996 Formula

Let us know how that thing turns out. Not too many people talk about it but sounds interesting.
    will do i am still buying parts for it, then i will go to wyomin and colorado to go hunting and will be abck on the 11th of nov, so i hope to be able to orde everything where i can come home and work on the car. so hopefully before december my car will be running all prime!!! now if i have a bent vavle i am going to be a little set back

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

GM pretty much had no choice in where it put the distributor system. With the 4th Gen design, there was no longer any room for a conventional distributor at the back of the motor. Putting one there would require it protruding through the dashboard and into the car, I've seen F-Body race cars with that exact setup, and it isn't pretty to look at or work on. The only other logical place was to integrate it into the timing cover on the front of the motor, which is of course what they did. Seemed like a good solution at the time, but its proven to be a troublesome system for sure.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    GM pretty much had no choice in where it put the distributor system. With the 4th Gen design, there was no longer any room for a conventional distributor at the back of the motor. Putting one there would require it protruding through the dashboard and into the car, I've seen F-Body race cars with that exact setup, and it isn't pretty to look at or work on. The only other logical place was to integrate it into the timing cover on the front of the motor, which is of course what they did. Seemed like a good solution at the time, but its proven to be a troublesome system for sure.

Actually, it doesnt take much cowl fabrication to get a standard type SBC distributor unit to fit. It doesnt protrude into the car.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Actually, it doesnt take much cowl fabrication to get a standard type SBC distributor unit to fit. It doesnt protrude into the car.
    Yea sure...and then to change the cap and rotor you'd have to pull the motor. Real smart.

red
    95 Z28

Yea sure...and then to change the cap and rotor you'd have to pull the motor. Real smart.

you crack me up...

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I just think its stupid that they located it under the waterpump. Electricity+water=BAD.

Thread Information