red, black
    00 Trans Am,70 Chevelle

LT1 to zz383 swap??

i was wondering if it is possible to put a crate engine like a zz383 etc, in a 93-97 fbody?? I can get ahold of a wrecked 94 t/a for a good price and it needs an engine but i dont want to put an LT1 back in. just looking for options! thanks

Jr

LS1ROC
    Well Anything Can Be Done,but You Know If You Drop In A Carberated Engine With The Good Ole Distributor In The Rear Its Gonna Be Pretty Damn Hard To Get To0 The Distributor. Youll Have A Few Engine Mount Problems. Fuel Lines Will Need Attention. I Am Wondering If Breather Clearance Will Become An Issue. New Radiator Hose Routing. Hopefully You Wont Destroy The Factory Wiring Harness So It Could Be Sold . And By The Time You Drag Out The Temp ,oil ,fuel Pump Relay,starter And Alternator Wires Would Anybody Want The Harness?oh Yeah You Can Do It But Youll Lose The Fuel Injection And Be Pumping The Hell Out Of It And Wondering What The Hell You Went Back To The 1980's For When You Dropped In A Carberator And Now The Car Cant Tell You What Is Wrong With It Cause You Ripped Out The Brain .........i Would Go With The Lt1 Again . Take Your Time And You'll Find A Damn Good Deal..........but Thats Just My Opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Yeah That Fuel Pump In The Take Will Have To Much Pressure So That May Have To Go .....i'll Shut Up Now!

red, black
    00 Trans Am,70 Chevelle

this wouldnt be a daily driver, just a car to fuck around in. I have thought about just putting an lt1 back in but prefer the sound of carbuerated vehicles over fuel injected. I imagine the cowl would have to be cut/fabricated to allow for the distributor. was just wondering if anyone has done this or not?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bumdroid
    I have thought about just putting an lt1 back in but prefer the sound of carbuerated vehicles over fuel injected.

What? an LT1 with exhaust sounds every bit as good, and pretty much identical to a carbed motor. Cylinder head and exhaust design is going to play a bigger role in how the motor sounds than the type of induction.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    What? an LT1 with exhaust sounds every bit as good, and pretty much identical to a carbed motor. Cylinder head and exhaust design is going to play a bigger role in how the motor sounds than the type of induction.
    100% agreed. Head on over to www.ls1sounds.com. Give a listen to a couple of those old LT1's that have a cam in them and tell me they don't sound good. Of my few gripes with the LT1, sound was certainly never one of them. BTW, check out the custom section, look for the guy with the boom tube side exits.......that thing sounds wicked.

red, black
    00 Trans Am,70 Chevelle

k thanks alot for the help guys,

Thread Information