Thread: lt1 rockers

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

lt1 rockers

does anyone know what size the studs are for the rockers on an lt1. im looking at roller rockers and i don't know what to go with

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird Formula

not sure how to help u with this one.....do u just mean the ratio? if the vendor says there for lt1 engines there gonna fit. if i remember correctly i think stock ratio for lt1's are 1.5....i think u can get away with 1.7. your only gonna see maybe 10-15hp increase with this upgrade tho.

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    does anyone know what size the studs are for the rockers on an lt1.......
    3/8" and self-aligned.

If you go with non-self-aligned rockers, you'll need screw in studs (iron heads), guideplates and hardened or chomemoly push rods.

Happy shopping .

KW

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
    3/8" and self-aligned.

If you go with non-self-aligned rockers, you'll need screw in studs (iron heads), guideplates and hardened or chomemoly push rods.

Happy shopping .

KW
    thanks i think i found some. comp cams 1.6 roller rockers. they are the steel ones that weigh as much as aluminum ones and are stronger evidently. i went with them because of what i read on another forum about power gains. i also am changing over to conical springs when i get the chance to do the project

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    thanks i think i found some. comp cams 1.6 roller rockers. they are the steel ones that weigh as much as aluminum ones and are stronger evidently. i went with them because of what i read on another forum about power gains. i also am changing over to conical springs when i get the chance to do the project

Beehive springs are an iffy proposition. I'd stay away from them, they have a tendency to break on the top coil. And assuming you still have a stock motor otherwise, or close to stock, you dont really need much spring. An LT4 hotcam spring would likely suffice.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Beehive springs are an iffy proposition. I'd stay away from them, they have a tendency to break on the top coil. And assuming you still have a stock motor otherwise, or close to stock, you dont really need much spring. An LT4 hotcam spring would likely suffice.
    well im getting them for some headroom for when i change the cam out.

red
    95 Z28

uhh, ok. they're still a shitty design that is susceptible to failure. Not my engine

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Beehive springs are an iffy proposition. .......An LT4 hotcam spring would likely suffice.
    I've been using the 26918 Comp Cams Beehive Springs for the past two years......with .594 exhaust lift.....with no issues.

The LT4 springs wouldn't have lasted 5 miles in my engine; they're (IMO) not suitable for anything other than stock application.

Hate to disagree with a Super MOD......but you're dead wrong .

KW

white
    94 camaro z28

I've been using the 26918 Comp Cams Beehive Springs for the past two years......with .594 exhaust lift.....with no issues.

The LT4 springs wouldn't have lasted 5 miles in my engine; they're (IMO) not suitable for anything other than stock application.

KW
    ok i was starting to think that i shouldn't get them. im getting head work done before i do all the stuff. i found a time i have a backup car so im taking advantage of that time to do all of my stuff at once. it looks like the first 3 days im getting body work done, then im pulling my heads and taking them to a shop to get ported and a 3 angle valve job, then im putting it all back together with a new valvetrain and cam and all the goodies.http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/dancenana.gif

red
    95 Z28

KW
    Go ahead and disagree with me all you want. I think you're dead wrong . I've seen plenty of those very COMP springs break on people. That spring design will never be a strong as a standard dual type spring, and I'm well aware of why it is designed the way it is. Besides, if his car is stock, he doesnt need anything more than a Hotcam spring. All you accomplish when you put too much spring in a motor is you eat up horsepower. Before our gear rule in my racing series, we ran our motors up to 6800-7100 rpm (circle track, so they live constantly between 4500-7000)... and guess what, I dont know of one person running a beehive type spring. I'm surprised you didnt read the endless threads that exist elsewhere on the net about people breaking them.... I hope for your sake that Comp got them figured out.

Thread Information