Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

pewter

are lt1 really shi*

be serious are lt1 really worth it i keep getting destroyed by srt 4 and turbo colbalts on the highway i have a m6 camaro but what im really getting at is would't stuffing a bbc, ls1 cheaper and faster than a lt1. what will it take to fet a lt1 in the 11,s

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you have a 99 that is an ls-1.
    the lt series are not total crap, yes they have problems like optispark and the heads but everyone knew the ls was coming so the aftermarket really is not that big. If you swapped out for some lt-4 heads and had them ported milled etc with a cam there is no reason you couldn't go 11's. Given suspension, tires, and the driver. There is an lt-1 383 outlawz here in the bay who hauls some serious ass

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Nothing is wrong with the LT1.
    Optispark problem is over rated, and yea heads are really restrictive.
    You would be amazed to see what a H/C LT1 could do.

Stock heads can be ported and polished, then they flow really well.

pewter

just gettin advice for winter project everyone laughs when i say lt1 they cant be that bad. i was planning on cam swap and most likely supercharge or rear turbo. i also have a 454 out of my chevelle but i like having the driavabilty of the lt1. i understand building hi perf but why are lt1 laughed at so bad everything takes time and money to build.

pewter

dont worry i know about cubes and internals but i would like to set everything up before a 383 or bigger lt1

red
    95 Z28

FWIW, the quickest LT1 has gone LOW 8s. The quickest BOLT ON LT1 is in the high 11s (been done by a couple of folks now). Stock it was a 99-101mph car on average, with a few cracking 102s and 103s, but those were rare. It was impressive for its day, and is still a quite capable motor. There is plenty of potential once you start tearing into them. If you're only ever looking to go bolt ons, then obviously the LS1s are better with their superior head/intake design.

I don't know what you are worried about. My T/A makes 360 to the rear wheels with ported stock heads, 30lb injectors, new cam, 1.6 roller rockers, and a conservative tune. That's with a stock throttle body, maf and intake. I also have headers, cat back and a CAI.

Black
    97 firebird WS6

My LT1 is putting out 450 rwhp on a burnt clutch! yes it has all bolt ons and 150 shot but currently has stock heads and cam. Those coming soon. LT1 is a great engine. Car is in the high 11's. Ls1 is overall a better motor, but you can make the LT1 a nasty engine with some mods. Never had 1 optispark problem either.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive had 3 LT1's and depending on what mods you put on its a great motor, no doubt. If you go with all the bolt ons it will be a very fast car and you wont have any issues with the newer cars you mention unless they are modded up. Your always gonna run into cars that may have smaller motors but are faster due to the amount of mods or just plain old technology. I got 336RWHP and 349RWTQ and get my a** handed to me by a RSX Turbo pushing 460FWHP all the time. Mod the car up with the regular bolt ons first and see how things go meaning you dont have issues and you like the power to satisfy you for a little while and then you can start doing head work and cam swaps.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 97bluebird View Post
    I don't know what you are worried about. My T/A makes 360 to the rear wheels with ported stock heads, 30lb injectors, new cam, 1.6 roller rockers, and a conservative tune. That's with a stock throttle body, maf and intake. I also have headers, cat back and a CAI.
    Just curious what your car runs in the 1/4 with that kinda power?

I don't know what it runs in the quarter. I have never taken it to the track.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

My 93 LT1 with all the bolt ons and thats with shorty headers ran 13.5 at 105 MPH when one of our local tracks was open. That run was in 100+ degrees easily and on the second run a failed clutch.

I wish I knew what my car runs in the quarter. I can tell you that earlier in the summer I was at a car club meet and I walked all over a 2001 Camaro SS 6-speed.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 97bluebird View Post
    I wish I knew what my car runs in the quarter. I can tell you that earlier in the summer I was at a car club meet and I walked all over a 2001 Camaro SS 6-speed.
    Sweet, what mods do you have?

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

Nothing wrong with an lt1. My buddy stroked to a 355 , lt4 hot cam set up, ported the stock heads and put a vortec blower on it . 11.11 @ 120 and that was without leaving hard. He had a 3200 stall and left at 1500. 10 second car leaving hard. Again I say nothing wrong with a lt1. It all takes money. anyone can be faster if he has more money.

pewter

i just ran 13.64 at 103 with 2.2 sixty on strret tires rolling the clutch out slow. i did free mods long tube headers stat and magnaflow eehaust. not even a kn air filter. my goal is 11 sec street car. everyone laughs when i say lt1 im goona go for it even though it has to fill the spot of my 10 sec chevelle i traded for it.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I say go for it, there are plenty of fast lt1 cars out there. I have seen a stock lt1 ramair transam 96 with a k&n go 13.6 at 105. People may call bs but I saw it. it's a good motor.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Im kinda curious, how much HP does an LT1 gain from a 503 cam.
    Assuming it already has LTs, and the rest of the supporting cam mods.
    I hear a lot of people do cam only 503 with great results but I have no numbers yet.

pewter

i was looking at that cam also

Thread Information