Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

LT1 plugs and wires tutorial.

Where can I find a LT1 plugs and wires tutorial. Iv'e never done this before, and would like to be as prepared as possible.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I don't know as there is one. It's relatively simple. Replace the plugs and wires one at a time, and you'll be just fine.

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

OK, I just was under the impression that it required the removal of other part, and was quite complicated. Ill figure it out. Thanks anyway.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Never done it myself, but I understand that routing the plug wires correctly is essential to a proper install. I would snap plenty of digital pics before starting and then carefully match up your wire lengths as you go. It's also not a bad idea to label the existing wires before you start just in case you get crossed up somewhere. Also, a dab of dielectric grease in the new spark plug boots will help make them easier to remove in the future and will also seal out moisture.

Are you buying pre made wires, or are you making your own? I made my own for my 94' LT1, and it was such a pain! I decided to buy the DIY kit from thunder racing, which would reroute the wires on top of the valve covers. I already had the spark plug wire crimpers/cutters, so I purchased the special boots for the optispark. I had such a hard time getting the boots to stay on the optispark, If I ever have to do it again I will just put them back in stock location and buy the pre made wires.

This was also my first time doing this as well, so take it for what it's worth.

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by trplxl2 View Post
    Are you buying pre made wires, or are you making your own? I made my own for my 94' LT1, and it was such a pain! I decided to buy the DIY kit from thunder racing, which would reroute the wires on top of the valve covers. I already had the spark plug wire crimpers/cutters, so I purchased the special boots for the optispark. I had such a hard time getting the boots to stay on the optispark, If I ever have to do it again I will just put them back in stock location and buy the pre made wires.

This was also my first time doing this as well, so take it for what it's worth.
    Yeah I almost went that route myself. But I had help from one of the guys at the shop on base, and he said go with the pre made as well. Thanks tho!

Black
    1993 Trans Am

I would say just make sure you don't get the passenger side wires too close to the pulley system and make sure your drivers side rear wire has a wire protector on it so it doesn't get burnt by the manifold. I had that problem once and went through 3 wires for the rear plug before i sucked it up and went with wire protectors. haven't had a problem since. the thing that sucks about it too is that the wire appears ok but internally gets fried. But I drive the bitc** hard so maybe yours won't get so hot. lol Also spend the money on the plugs you actually want because you are not going to want to do this again for a long time. you'll know what i mean when your done. I would go iridium, they have the best temp ratings and will last the longest and you"ll even see hp and mpg increase. I saw 6mpg city and 3 highway making average 25 city and 31 highway at 406hp. a solid 7-9mpg while romping though lol

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 93TransAm View Post
    I would say just make sure you don't get the passenger side wires too close to the pulley system and make sure your drivers side rear wire has a wire protector on it so it doesn't get burnt by the manifold. I had that problem once and went through 3 wires for the rear plug before i sucked it up and went with wire protectors. haven't had a problem since. the thing that sucks about it too is that the wire appears ok but internally gets fried. But I drive the bitc** hard so maybe yours won't get so hot. lol Also spend the money on the plugs you actually want because you are not going to want to do this again for a long time. you'll know what i mean when your done. I would go iridium, they have the best temp ratings and will last the longest and you"ll even see hp and mpg increase. I saw 6mpg city and 3 highway making average 25 city and 31 highway at 406hp. a solid 7-9mpg while romping though lol

The only way you'd gain anywhere near that much mileage from plugs alone is if the old plugs were totally shot, to the point where they were causing other far worse driveability problems than fuel economy i.e the car wouldnt run for shit/ make any power.

Black
    1993 Trans Am

They were so far gone that the reason i changed them was because i was having misfiring and bucking. I made the mistake of starting to change the rear plugs then going onto the rest and forgeting to come back to them. I had already had the plugs out of there boxes and everything got tossed cuz it was dark and i was totally done with it (i thought). so the rears went for another 26k befor I had the problems and realized what had happened. yea i pulled an idiot i know. i also upgraded the ignition system while doing the newer changeover. so it probably helped. But pretty soon I am doing a motor teardown and rebuild on it again, so we'll see what kind of hp and mpg I'll get one this one. its not going to be my daily after this build though and my new commute is minutes away instead of the otherside of the state. and of course I'll check in with an update upon completion.

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Yeah Im so happy its over with, and with little trouble. Glad to put it behind me! Thanks guys!

Thread Information