green
    1996 z28

Lt1 Nitrous Tune

I have a mail order tune on the way for a cam and nitrous tune. My question is if the nitrous tune will pull to much timing and result in lost horsepower? It is tuned for a 125 shot.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

It might. Don't know much about nitrous setups in general, but aren't they ways to signal to the PCM that nitrous is coming, so it can adjust that way? Or does the PCM have to be setup for it all the time? If its the latter, then yes, the tune will retard your timing a little to compensate. A 125 shot isn't a WHOLE lot, so the timing should affect your overall output by much.

And where did you get your mail-order tune from? I'm thinking of sending mine off the PCMforless.com this winter...when I don't drive my car.

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by 96lt1z28 View Post
    I have a mail order tune on the way for a cam and nitrous tune. My question is if the nitrous tune will pull to much timing and result in lost horsepower? It is tuned for a 125 shot.
    you might want to put it on a dyno when you spray it to make sure you are getting enough fuel and have someone hook up some scanning software. and keep an eye out for any knock retard

green
    1996 z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    It might. Don't know much about nitrous setups in general, but aren't they ways to signal to the PCM that nitrous is coming, so it can adjust that way? Or does the PCM have to be setup for it all the time? If its the latter, then yes, the tune will retard your timing a little to compensate. A 125 shot isn't a WHOLE lot, so the timing should affect your overall output by much.

And where did you get your mail-order tune from? I'm thinking of sending mine off the PCMforless.com this winter...when I don't drive my car.
    www.pcmamerica.com he gave me an obd1 pcm and tuned for cam nitrous gear etc for only 150.00 shipped.

red
    95 Z28

Tuning for nitrous through the mail? You guys are brave

black
    96 impala

im sure it has 4-6 degrees less timing in the program,thats about the only difference generally. there is nothing wrong with a mailorder tune for a small hit like that.when you are tryying to find the last little bit to run the number,it will take some tweaking from there.

black
    96 impala

Quote Originally Posted by jasonisdn View Post
    you might want to put it on a dyno when you spray it to make sure you are getting enough fuel and have someone hook up some scanning software. and keep an eye out for any knock retard
    the dyno will not load the engine as much as it will see at the track.using datamaster or an equivelent is invaluable information to have and its not a ton of $$ compared to hurting an engine

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    the dyno will not load the engine as much as it will see at the track.using datamaster or an equivelent is invaluable information to have and its not a ton of $$ compared to hurting an engine
    i just wouldnt trust a mail order tune with a nitrous setup. there is noway he can get it right without watching the readings from the car. the dyno , to me, is a starting point. after that i would track test (or road) with a friend watching a wide band 02 in my pipe.

red
    95 Z28

A mustang dyno will load the car as on the street, or even more load if you want. It is a great tuning tool... and then go to the dynojet if you want the high numbers.

Thread Information