GREEN
    1994 FIREHAWK

LT1 Motor Questions??????

I have a 1995 Trans am with a LT1 motor that just when't bad.....I found a good deal on a 1996 LT1 LONGBLOCK but I notice that the 1996 Has a CRANK SENSOR IN THE FRONT AND MY DOSE NOT HAVE ONE.

Question # 1. Will it work in my car with out pluging the crank sensor if I use all my original wiring harness?

Question # 2. Do I need a wiring harness from a 1996 or 1997?

If someone know the answare to this please PM-me and let me know before
    I install this motor...........thank you

if I was guessing, I would say you don't need to plug in the crank sensor as long as you use your original harness. The crank sensor provides the newer cars with some additional data for certain algorithms in the ecm to determine if the car is missing or not. Like, I think the crank sensor can measure the acceleration of the crank. So if it doesn't accelerate at a certain point, then through some other checks and sensors it may determine that a particular cylinder is not firing, and then set a code. You have to realize that a computer can not tell if your car has a rough idle - it doesn't feel it. So, it has to rely upon sensors to see if it is running properly. The only other question to ask yourself would be, "does the ecm need to know where the crank is positioned in order to fire at the right time. I just woke up and without really thinking about it, I would say "no". The ecm rely's on other methods for determining when the #1 cyl is at TDC. All of this has to do with more about the construction of the motor rather than a sensor I beleive. Like the position of the optispark during installation and cam position and all that blah blah stuff. So I think if you put that motor in your car, it would be just a feature that your system doesn't use or need. But if you installed another wiring harness and ecm, and did not connect the sensor, then ya, you're going to throw a code.

GREEN
    1994 FIREHAWK

Thank you........for all that info.........I will try it with my original wiring harness.

Thread Information