Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1995 Pontiac Trans AM

LT1 header questions

I am thinking about getting headers, but I want it to still hopefully pass inspection, I dont want it to be too too loud, and I dont wanna scrape them. A buddy of mine told me if I was gonna get headers to get long tubes- shorties and mid lengths are a waste of time. Im trying to get the most power gain I can. I have the magnaflow cat-back exhaust on there now. I was thinking about getting hooker supercomp long tube ceramic headers, an ORY, and hopefully sticking a universal cat in there somewhere? will that work? would it be legal?

thanks lt-1 gurus

Josh

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

You'll have to make sure that you get headers with emissions provisions for EGR and AIR. And I suggest getting a high-flow cat instead of a universal one. But I won't get into the whole 'shorties vs mids vs longtube' debate, its been beaten to death on these boards.

Black
    1995 Pontiac Trans AM

First off- thanks for the info. Those AIR and EGR headers- how much power would I lose getting those vs long tubes? Ill run illegal exhaust if I gotta I just dont want it to be tooo loud and grab cops attention. thanks again

Josh

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

ok trust me! shortys 93-97, long tubes on 98-02. thats the rule. oh i still passed after my headers
    Click for full size

sped
    Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    ok trust me! shortys 93-97, long tubes on 98-02. thats the rule. oh i still passed after my headers
    I've never heard this rule before, so feel free to enlighten me. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to put LT's on an lt1 other than maybe to save the bitch of a job it is to get the long tubes in there. Maybe there's something I don't know though?

I'm running pacesetter long tubes, ORY, and edelbrock cat back and my system is not "too loud" by any means. Even after I put a CAI and throttle body on it deepened the sound but the cops still don't give me a second glance. Your magnaflow exhaust might be a little bit louder than my edelbrock though so if it's really a concern maybe you should run a high flow cat. And as already stated, high flow cat. Not a universal one!

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

WTF? I'm running the emissions style pacesetter longtubes and they are fine.

As far as the poster, you can find longtubes with emissions fittings. Pacesetter's I know makes them, because I have them. The only problem is that they only sell an ORY for the 93-97 lontubes, so you'll have to have a muffler shop weld up the high-flow cat, unless you want to weld it up. But that's the only thing.

Black
    1995 Pontiac Trans AM

Well I gotta buddy of mine thats a welder by trade- 1badls1 on these forums. so ill just get his ass to weld is up, that shouldnt be a problem. I think ima go with long tubes, ory, high flow cat. whats so special about ceramic- is it worth the extra money?

Josh

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yes, the ceramic coating helps keep under-hood temps down, increase exhaust flow velocity, prevents rust from setting in, and look damn good. I have heard that the black painted ones will flake off within the first couple hundred miles and will rust sooner. But most headers that aren't stainless will eventually rust. You could pop a set of stainless headers, but you'll pay double over the pacesetters, but they won't rust. And I don't think stainless headers come with any coating, so under-hood temps won't be as low as the coated ones. Its a trade-off.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

its a bitch to put long tubes on a 93-97. need a high flow cat and they dont bolt up in the same place. the shorty's just fit right in. now i do have the 97 with dual cats so it could be different on the 93-95. i dont want to argue, nor care I'm giving you my advice. i did the complete engine swap myself and returned the long tubes for the shorty's. do some research on the old threads we have had many discussions about this already. hope i was some help.

p.s. i built a N/A 440 rwhp, 470 rwt. i know a little about this stuff.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

They may be a bitch to put in, but it can be done. And I've never really liked the design of most shorty headers that I've seen. The primaries wrap around every which way before going into the y-pipe.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

my shorty's

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

If I had to do it all over again I would still go with the long tubes. Yeah its a little more work to get them in, but I think its worth it. I have no trouble passing emissions either, or any ground clearance problems. As far as being loud...I'm running true duals over the axle, and it's not as loud as my brother with mids, and borla.

red
    95 Z28

I have midlengths... My AS&Ms will make for the same gains as long tubes, but without altering ground clearance or moving my cat from the factory location. Longtubes are overrated.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Of course headers are easier to install when the engine is out of the car. I just don't like the design of the driver's side headers. I'm sure there's a reason behind the design of it and it probably would yield more gains if I tried to design one, but the passenger side headers looks like it would flow better.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

ok why go into suck detail. shit people we are talking about what 1-3 rwhp if that deference between long tubes and shorty's if that. shorty's are easy o install and do not require new cats, or to move them, and great ground clearance. i have one of the loudest exhaust systems you will hear with my electronic cut out. and not to be mean but are any of you actually putting down more than 300-350 rwhp. or cammed??? why all the dumb shit to deal with. go shorty!

Something I haven't seen mentioned that the starter of this post may need to keep in mind. He mentioned being able to pass emissions. Long tube headers will require the cat to be moved farther back in the exhaust system,,,,depending on where he lives, some states do not allow that and will fail the visual inspection. California is one such place, although people have been known to get away with it,,,,it's still something to keep in mind.
    If keeping the cat or cats, in the stock location are a must where you live then shorties are your only choice. Larry.

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

are any of you actually putting down more than 300-350 rwhp. or cammed??? why all the dumb shit to deal with. go shorty!

yes

Just because you went shorty doesn't mean everyone else should. It's all a matter of personal prefreance.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

@440 rwhp trans am nice looking motor!

I am running the 93-95 Mac style with ceramic coating. This model are a midlength header and not shortys but have the same (or close to) ground clearance as the stock system.

The plug access is excellent and I did the install with the cat delete pipe from Mac (also ceramic coated with the magnaflow cat back.

The install required no welding and I did the complete exhaust from heads to tips on my own with no mufflershop needed.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

thanks sexonwheels.

i do know its a matter of preference but its easier to go with shorty's is all I'm saying. go long tubes spend the extra money. then go race someone with shorty's and a cam or tune. its the same price. and i think i know the outcome to this race

hey blown25th what you packing? got pics??

Thread Information