Thread: LT1 exhaust???

Arrest Me-Red
    1997 Trans Am

LT1 exhaust???

I know there's a ton of these threads already, but i'm gonna throw this in anyway.
    I'm looking for new exhaust for a 97 t/a....dont want to spend more than about 350.
    I've heard good things about magnaflow catbacks, but do they sound good or are they too quiet? Hooker also makes one i found for around the same price, anybody got an opinion on those? I dont want SLP loudmouths loud, just a good muscle sound and a little better performance.

10's N/A

Depends on what you wan't to spend.

I run a B&B Tri-Flo system (w/ a QTP electric cut-out). Sounds awesome. Best LT1 exhaust out there in my opinion, but it was expensive as just under $800. I had a Corsa Cat-back on my old Purple Pearl '93, sounded excellent but also expensive (paid slightly under a grand w/o the 4" Pro Series tips). Borla is also a great choice, but expensive as well.

An excellent alternative to the more costly systems is the Magna Flow kit. Flows very well while sounding pretty good (especially with a cutout) and exceptionally affordable at around $400. That would be the one I would go with on a budget.

Whatever you do though, don't go Flowmaster. While they sound great, they don't flow very well, resulting in restriction of power. I've experienced it first hand.

Arrest Me-Red
    1997 Trans Am

How much did you pay to get the cutouts welded in?

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by LTJUAN View Post
    How much did you pay to get the cutouts welded in?
    I run a single cut-out on the i-pipe, right before the muffler. Not as loud as dual cut-outs after the headers, and doesn't lose as much torque in my opinion. The cut-out was $170 and I installed it myself. Gained 14rwhp over closed system on the squeeze. Less of a gain off the bottle.

Arrest Me-Red
    1997 Trans Am

Is the electric cut out easy to wire? the guy i bought my car off of really messed up a lot of the wiring for various things so i dont want to have to do much.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by LTJUAN View Post
    Is the electric cut out easy to wire? the guy i bought my car off of really messed up a lot of the wiring for various things so i dont want to have to do much.
    Very easy. Took me less than a half hour to install.

silver
    1997 z28 LT4 / 4L65e tran

N20 LT4 thats just what I picked up HP wise with my cutout on my LT4 !

Z

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by tmnz28 View Post
    N20 LT4 thats just what I picked up HP wise with my cutout on my LT4 !

Z
    Yes cutouts tend to work very well on the LTx cars. You lose a bit of low-speed grunt but what you gain up top makes it worth it.

Red and Black
    1995 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Whatever you do though, don't go Flowmaster. While they sound great, they don't flow very well, resulting in restriction of power. I've experienced it first hand.
    I don't totally agree with this. If you like the sound of the Flowmaster go for it. Unless you are really trying to scavenge for HP, Flowmasters are not that bad. Spend some time on the internet and listen to sound clips. You are not going to lose MONSTER numbers on a flowmaster. Go for what you enjoy the sound of. Think what you want the car for. If you just want a daily driver or a cruiser, then pick whatever you personally like, within your budget. If you are looking for a straight race car or a VERY high performer, then you should think about every little bit of HP that you can scavenge. At least that is my opinion...

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by LT1 Hawk View Post
    I don't totally agree with this. If you like the sound of the Flowmaster go for it. Unless you are really trying to scavenge for HP, Flowmasters are not that bad. Spend some time on the internet and listen to sound clips. You are not going to lose MONSTER numbers on a flowmaster. Go for what you enjoy the sound of. Think what you want the car for. If you just want a daily driver or a cruiser, then pick whatever you personally like, within your budget. If you are looking for a straight race car or a VERY high performer, then you should think about every little bit of HP that you can scavenge. At least that is my opinion...
    '

Contrary to your statement, the question was asked what exhaust system would I recommend. With that being said, I would not (in my right mind) recommend a system that will 'restrict' horsepower. That would make absolutely no sense at all. Besides, there are other cat-back systems with exceptional sound.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Spintech mufflers sound the best on a LT1. I had them on my 94 Z28 383 stroker and I loved them. I got complimets all the time, best Ive heard.

Thread Information