Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lt1 with distributor question (is it possible?)

Can you take a lt1 out of a camaro and remove the fuel injection and add distubitor? do you have to change the cam for dist gear or does it have it?
    What i want to do is pull the motor and use the long block with a carb and dist, is it possible or do i have to change alot, sorry for all the questions. but thanks for the help in advance

It can be done. You will need the distributer,carb, intake,wires,fuel bypass reg.,Gm sells a plate to cover the hole where the opti is and it has a timing mark on it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dloc0370 View Post
    It can be done. You will need the distributer,carb, intake,wires,fuel bypass reg.,Gm sells a plate to cover the hole where the opti is and it has a timing mark on it. Good luck.
    thanks alot, but does the stock lt1 cam have a gear on the back for the distributor or do i have to change the cam, thanks again

and another, why do i need a fuel bypass? If im doing away with the fuel injection, thanks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Subscribed
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

red
    95 Z28

The LT1 cam does have a distributor gear.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    The LT1 cam does have a distributor gear.
    cool thanks, is the bolt pattern where the intak bolts to the heads the same with other gm or is it different than the rest.I know summit sells the intake just wondering if one i already had would fit. I figured old style wouldnt, but wondered if vortech style would.

Again guys sorry for all the question, but thanks alot for the answers.

red
    95 Z28

Actually I think the LT1 manifolds have a different bolt angle than a vortec manifold, not to mention 12 mounting holes instead of 8 on a vortec. I think you'll need an LT1 specific carb manifold, which does exist.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yup you have to get a LT1 carbed intake because of the angle. and some guys actually machine a hole in the back of the LT1 fuel injection plenumn to run an HEI or smaller distributer.
    The in the tank fuel pump will give way to much pressure for a carb and I don't think a mechanical drive is even possible so you have to regulate the pressure some how.

Just remember if your a 4l60e automatic you need an after market controller for the trans, Otherwise go to town!!!

thanks guys, the motor isnt going back in the trans am, so i dont have to worry bout the fuel pump, or trans. I guess i should have been a little more clear. Thanks about the intake havent really even looked at it, and didnt know about the extra holes.

Let me be more clear instead of giving you parts of the info so you will understand what i want to do and hopefully tell me its possible.

I already have a z, and a wrecked t-a. I want to take the motor out of the t-a and use just the longblock and put it in my 454ss, (its blown) but i want to put the tbi on the lt1. Only prob I see so far after your guys help is mating the tbi to the lt1 heads. I know they make a carb intake and also a adapter to put the tbi on that intake, so that wouyld work, but it doesnt have an egr port. So thats where i am lost at now. Again thanks guys.

P.s please dont hate, im not destroying the t-a, someone else did that for me

You will also have to change the oil pump drive. If you are going to go to all that trouble to make an LT1 work with the tbi setup, why not just install the LT1 fuel injection?

Quote Originally Posted by 97bluebird View Post
    You will also have to change the oil pump drive. If you are going to go to all that trouble to make an LT1 work with the tbi setup, why not just install the LT1 fuel injection?
    Good question. I may end up doing that,we done my buds 89 silverado last year. We put lt1 and 6-speed in it, so I really dont have an answer other than just want something a little different.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrax View Post
    Let me be more clear instead of giving you parts of the info so you will understand what i want to do and hopefully tell me its possible.

I already have a z, and a wrecked t-a. I want to take the motor out of the t-a and use just the longblock and put it in my 454ss, (its blown) but i want to put the tbi on the lt1. Only prob I see so far after your guys help is mating the tbi to the lt1 heads. I know they make a carb intake and also a adapter to put the tbi on that intake, so that wouyld work, but it doesnt have an egr port. So thats where i am lost at now. Again thanks guys.

P.s please dont hate, im not destroying the t-a, someone else did that for me
    TBi is the WORST intake setup you could possibly use... Use a Carb or use the LT1 setup, can be done with a coilpack conversion, and need no dist.

Green
    1994 Z28

gmpp makes a carbed intake for the lt1 and a company name delteq makes a coil pak conversion for the lt's. The intake has a hole in the back for the distributor. And if you carb the lt, you have to use something other than the factory fuel pump. Too much psi for the carb. My brother has a 93 z with that setup. VERY costly.

Green
    1994 Z28

Delteq.com by the way. All the lt guys should check them out. I know their systems work. my brother has one. My 1st f-body was a 94 formula and i had nothing but opti issues. I was gonna get me a coil pak set up but i just went for the ls motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Co. View Post
    gmpp makes a carbed intake for the lt1 and a company name delteq makes a coil pak conversion for the lt's. The intake has a hole in the back for the distributor. And if you carb the lt, you have to use something other than the factory fuel pump. Too much psi for the carb. My brother has a 93 z with that setup. VERY costly.

Thanks, but not looking to carb it, already have a carb truck.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If you have room around the fire wall in what ever you put it in you can have the LT1 plenumn machined to except a HEI or HP disrib like I said earlier. That would get you away from the opti and you could run a after market EFI PCM. I think you might be able to make a typical style Gen 1 distributor work with the LT1 plenumn and injectors by actually using a HEI distributor from a tune port car and then use a tuneport PCM and harness. That would work even though it may be a bigger pain in the ass then just going to a coil conversion and keeping the LT1 pcm or useing the factory stuff.

I'm still just not clear on what the end result you want is? Do you want a fuel injected LT1 in the SS or do you want an fuel injected LT1 with a distributor on it? There are about a thousand ways to get there. You can spend only what you have in the T/A and just drop the whole package in or spend alot of money on aftermarket EFI controllers and get the same result as the factory PCM and LT1 setup. What is your vision for this car and motor package?

Awaiting Activation

black
    2000 Z28

lt1 distributor... the only way...

Before I got my 00 ls1 z/28 my ride was a 95 Caprice lt1 cruiser. I was able to smoke the stangs on the days it ran, but the damn optispark took a dump so I sold it to my brother. His buddy had one that did the same thing so he carburated his and put it in his truck and it's got more power now than before. In my opinion, the best thing you can do with an lt1 is turn it back to old style. It'll rev like crazy and produce plenty of horsepower for your daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    If you have room around the fire wall in what ever you put it in you can have the LT1 plenumn machined to except a HEI or HP disrib like I said earlier. That would get you away from the opti and you could run a after market EFI PCM. I think you might be able to make a typical style Gen 1 distributor work with the LT1 plenumn and injectors by actually using a HEI distributor from a tune port car and then use a tuneport PCM and harness. That would work even though it may be a bigger pain in the ass then just going to a coil conversion and keeping the LT1 pcm or useing the factory stuff.

I'm still just not clear on what the end result you want is? Do you want a fuel injected LT1 in the SS or do you want an fuel injected LT1 with a distributor on it? There are about a thousand ways to get there. You can spend only what you have in the T/A and just drop the whole package in or spend alot of money on aftermarket EFI controllers and get the same result as the factory PCM and LT1 setup. What is your vision for this car and motor package?

Ok sorry, I prob wasnt clear enough. I have two lt1, one is in my totaled ta, the other is just a long block that has some mods. Im going to take the built lt1 and the fuel injection off the ta and put them in my 67 camaro. So im gonna wind up with a stock long block lt, and since I have a ss with a blown motor, I wanted to put in it and use the TBI so i would still have easy starts on cold mornings. Not looking to make it a hotrod just a driver. Ive got a s-10 with 383 with carb so not looking to have another one thats hard to crank.
    And yes im planning on the coil swap for the 67. Hope this is a little more clear, and thanks again for all ur responses.

Thread Information