Stang Smoker

red
    1994 z28

lt1 acting weird (video)

So lately my car has been acting weird, when I hit the gas it stumbles really bad and takes a second then starts revving right. It used to be only under load it would lightly stumble and occasionally it woud run perfect. But one day I looked at my intake elbow and the rubber on the bottom had big cracks so I taped it for now and put it on good but now its doing this since i taped it...So on the video, the best example is at the 0:12 mark, i was holding the gas.. Sorry for the bad quality you kinda have to turn it up. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdoGQJFG88[/ame]
    Last edited by Mike510; 03-21-2011 at 08:15 PM.

red
    95 Z28

throwing any codes at any point?

Take a good long look at the entire intake and inspect for leaks. You should replace the intake elbow and check the MAF for any damage. Beyond that you're looking at a fuel or ignition problem and should scan it to gather further data.

Stang Smoker

red
    1994 z28

Its not throwing any codes, Ive looked at the MAF and I don't know what to look for damage wise. I seem to remember my dad trying to clean them with a q-tip and I heard your only supposed to use special spray but im not sure. Also the MAF was put on the wrong way at one point if that would do anything to the contacts or whatever?

Stang Smoker

red
    1994 z28

But thanks for the reply 5.0. But yea another thing I noticed it has a really strong gas smell when it runs, could that be opti not putting out spark to burn it enough D: . The car just hit 90k.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Its the opti spark my cousins 96 z28 was doing the same thing got the msd pro billet opti spark been on their for a year now no problems and a noticeable change in the way the car performs.

Stang Smoker

red
    1994 z28

Dang I was hoping it wasn't the opti . Well now the car won't even start. Im going to try to buy the intake elbow and try different things. thanks again for the replys.

Stang Smoker

red
    1994 z28

Ok so now when I turn the key not to start turning it but just in the on position, the check gages and SES light stay on....but did they always do that until the motor starts? Or is it finally throwing a code?

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

It does that

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

red
    95 Z28

Well, if you smell fuel it may have been flooded, or flooding itself. It could very well be ignition at this point. If you can, use a code reader to see if it has any codes stored.

Stang Smoker

red
    1994 z28

Dang I thought so, just wasnt 100% on those lights. Well this sucks...Does anyone know the absolutely cheapest way to fix the opti?

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Replace it!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ray Charles blue

Get a decent priced opti if you can. My dad has an MSD and I went with a cheaper one and mine worked just dandy. Now, make sure you check your coil as well and while you are at it swap out your plugs and wires if need be.

If you have a strong fuel smell I wouldnt say its a fuel problem. Do you know when/if the fuel filter was ever replaced?

Stang Smoker

red
    1994 z28

Well I have the stock filter back in and its fairly new, before all these problems I had on a ebay intake, just a tube with a filter. I definatly should check the coil too, I just have to go get a meter.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

do you still have cats on it??? cats could be clogged... like others have said the opti junk could be crapping out... check the opti for anti freeze getting on it...

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Get a good quality code reader. Ours (the 150$ one from autozone) has a function that allows you to read the outputs of all the sensors. I fought with a similar stumble/rich condition for a year and a half. It ended up being a rusty connector at the coolant temp probe on the water pump. The motor would start up fine, then almost immediately go to running like shit, if I shut it off, it would not restart without holding the throttle to th floor. The rusty connector wasnt making any contact, and the PCM default is -40*F, causing the PCM to flood the motor with fuel. I replaced the opti, plugs, wires, tested every sensor, changed some other shit, and got no results. Once I found that my computer was thinking the motor was 40 below, I changed out the plug on the coolant temp sensor (you can buy these at autozone new), and I was in the clear. At the very least, if you don't have a scanner or access to one, just go pull off your intake, and check the plug on that sensor. The sensor is threaded into the face of the water pump and is somewhat easy to get at. Pull the intake ducting off, and its Just one clip and it'll pop right off, only two wires. Mine was visibly rusty. If you have any doubts, just get some good butt-connectors (the kind with weather-tight heatshrink on them) and replace the pigtail.

I would shoot for getting a scanner and trying that first, though.

Thread Information