Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LPP Longtubes W/ No hardware

Hey guys, I have a set of LPP headers and y pipe I bought for my 97 camaro Z28 and they didn't have any bolts with them. What size bolts do I need for these? The flange is 7/16. Also I am going to be changing out my stock automatic for a Monster HD 4l60e as soon as it comes in, will the longtubes be easier to get in with the trans compleatly out? Also is there anything that needs to be modified when putting in longtube headers?
    Thanks in advance for the help

red
    95 Z28

If you have access to a lift, just drop the entire motor/tranny out the bottom and do your trans and headers at the same time. With a lift, the right tools, and experience, you can have the entire motor/tranny and front suspension assembly out of the car in less than 90 minutes. Then doing headers and a tranny is childs play.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I don't have a lift but I have seen that people have done engine swaps out the bottom on jack stands. Do you think it is still worth dropping the whole front cradle?

red
    95 Z28

It might be if you have to do a tranny AND headers. All depends on how comfortable you are with dropping the cradle down. You need a fair bit of room underneath to pull it off.

Trans Am owner
    former

YES!!!!!!!! drop the k memeber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont go through what I had too!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, read up on ls1 tech, theres a monster thread on there about these. you need to move and grind on the steering knuckles, and passenger side k-member/frame.

you need 1.25" ARP BOLTS to do the job right. btw, I would put in some better gaskets and not use the supplied ones. supplied clamps are pretty sucky too.

overall, once everything is done its SOOOO worth it! you need a 12" O2 extension for passenger side. and then a dyno tune afterwards. other than that, I cant think of much

post any questions you got. I did the install 80% BYMYSELF! on my back on 2 jackstands. total nightmare! should've dropped the k memeber..... no matter what anyone tells you, dont use studs, get bolts......trust me.....I got studs, and they sucked out loud

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Ok cool thanks for the info. Is the tune a must? I am going to be building a new LT1 for this car in the near future and was goning to wait to have it tuned after I build the motor and get it in. I am just more or less getting the car ready for the engine upgrade by gettting the boltons on the car and fitted. I will still be driving it around on weekends untill then.

Trans Am owner
    former

get a tune. the motor will not run right.....you can smell it in the exhaust.....its not happy.

get a tune for sure. mine was $350. then retunes are usually bout $150

its will be worth it. you wont hurt the motor, and wont foul plugs

Thread Information