let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

long tube headers

what all is required to set up long tube headers on a 94 camaro z28. i keep looking at them and it looks like i would have to redo my whole exhaust to do it. what all it actually required to do it?

red
    95 Z28

You need a y pipe that is meant for LTs, either with cats or without. You also may need O2 sensor extensions with some headers.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You need a y pipe that is meant for LTs, either with cats or without. You also may need O2 sensor extensions with some headers.
    would i need to redo any of my piping for the current exhaust system on it?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    would i need to redo any of my piping for the current exhaust system on it?
    You will probably have to shorten you current I-pipe so it will match up with the new y-pipe.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    You will probably have to shorten you current I-pipe so it will match up with the new y-pipe.
    do you know of a y pipe and long tube header that work well with the 94 camaros?

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

do you know of a y pipe and long tube header that work well with the 94 camaros?
    Personally, I have coated pacesetters and their y-pipe on my 94. Great price and quality. The only thing is that I thought the fitment of the EGR was crap.

white
    94 camaro z28

Personally, I have coated pacesetters and their y-pipe on my 94. Great price and quality. The only thing is that I thought the fitment of the EGR was crap.
    ah. so everything else was good about them? i'm considering them now.

10's N/A

I run Kooks and they are excellent. Fitment and everything. Only problem was the price

black
    94 z28

i got a 94 z28 and i run the pace setter long tubes and i am very satisfied with performance and sound but i also re piped the entire exsaust with true duals and x-pipe with 1 chamber flows here check it out http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...evinboy_photo/ 2 videos and some pics

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

do you have to get tuned after headers like on ls cars or just stickem on and go?

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by kevinboy View Post
    i got a 94 z28 and i run the pace setter long tubes and i am very satisfied with performance and sound but i also re piped the entire exsaust with true duals and x-pipe with 1 chamber flows here check it out http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...evinboy_photo/ 2 videos and some pics
    i like that. that's pretty nice.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    do you have to get tuned after headers like on ls cars or just stickem on and go?
    No, you don't have to get a tune, not even on LSx cars. A tune will help maximize the gains after headers, but it won't hurt anything if you don't. You will just be leaving some power on the table. Some people can't afford a tune, and for some, it would be a waste because they plan on getting more stuff that would need a tune, like a cam.

white
    94 camaro z28

No, you don't have to get a tune, not even on LSx cars. A tune will help maximize the gains after headers, but it won't hurt anything if you don't. You will just be leaving some power on the table. Some people can't afford a tune, and for some, it would be a waste because they plan on getting more stuff that would need a tune, like a cam.
    that would be me. im prolly doing an sts turbo eventually so i wanna wait til then to get a tune.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

that would be me. im prolly doing an sts turbo eventually so i wanna wait til then to get a tune.
    Some places offer 'lifetime' tunes. Its costs more at first, but if you plan on modding little-by-little and want maximum performance each time, that may be the way to go.

Or, if you aren't planning on another big mod until the turbo in a few years, you may want to go ahead and get a tune for those headers, it will help increase fuel efficiency, and of course, power.

white
    94 camaro z28

Some places offer 'lifetime' tunes. Its costs more at first, but if you plan on modding little-by-little and want maximum performance each time, that may be the way to go.

Or, if you aren't planning on another big mod until the turbo in a few years, you may want to go ahead and get a tune for those headers, it will help increase fuel efficiency, and of course, power.
    well it won't be a few years. lol. i should have the money for it by this summer so it's not that far out.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Just throwing some options out there. I think it would be smart to wait since a power-adder is in the near future. Good luck.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i have read where your leaving a hp on the table like you say but dont you tend to run rich without one? so i have read with lsx cars too. thx

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    i have read where your leaving a hp on the table like you say but dont you tend to run rich without one? so i have read with lsx cars too. thx
    Yes, most cars do tend to run a tad rich after installing LT's. This is due to the increase in engine efficiency. It doesn't have to pump as hard to move air, therefore, it doesn't need as much of air/fuel (combustion) to complete the process. But the PCM doesn't know this and still runs the injectors on the factory tune, when you may not need as much fuel. This is why some people get a tune after headers.

I have been running LT's and bolt-ons for over a year on the stock tune. No engine problems and its definately an improvement over stock.

red
    95 Z28

Yes, most cars do tend to run a tad rich after installing LT's. This is due to the increase in engine efficiency. It doesn't have to pump as hard to move air, therefore, it doesn't need as much of air/fuel (combustion) to complete the process. But the PCM doesn't know this and still runs the injectors on the factory tune, when you may not need as much fuel. This is why some people get a tune after headers.

I have been running LT's and bolt-ons for over a year on the stock tune. No engine problems and its definately an improvement over stock.

Contrary to what you've read on the internet, not ALL cars run rich after headers are installed. When my car was tuned post-headers and bolt ons, there were many places where we ADDED fuel on the fuel tables. And I gained 18rwhp with my tune.

Thread Information