I feel like a complete idiot but...

Alright so I had all that work done to my car, and the garage did the oil change twice since it's been done. Now, today I got a low-oil warning, so I went to go pour in a quart as a precaution and have it checked out incase there is a major problem somewhere... but when I unscrewed port on the new valve cover, I was dumbfounded. I never got a chance to tinker under the hood since all the work was done, so this was the first time I was going to fill in the oil. Now, to my amazement, there wasnt a spout for the oil! Just an open hole that peared right into the valves! I could see the springs, rockers etc, but no oil port could be identified! I immediatly thought maybe that the valve covers where on backwards or something so it didnt line up anymore, but then i remembered that they had changed the oil twice since i got the work done. how did they do it?! i feel like such a fuckin moron... but to be on the safe side id rather face the embarassment then end up flooding the motor with oil!

red
    95 Z28

they forgot to put the cap back on

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

its ok dude... listen to this story. (not thread hijacking, just making u feel better haha)

this one kid in our shop class always talks about his 1965 gto that he doesnt have and how it has 1200 hp and 4wd with a hand-built v12. this kid is 100% serious about it (i mean, hes lying obviously, but there is no joke to it. he actually tries to convince ppl this)
    one day he brought in his car (some early 90s saturn lol) and said he was going to change the oil. shop teachers just like "ya. w.e." cuz he knows this kids an idiot. so he put the car on the lift, liftd it, some kid gave him a pan to catch all the oil, and everyone walked away. a couple minutes later some girl was like "why is that oil a funny color?" im like "idk looks fine to me, but im colorblind" ( i really am lol )

to everyones amazement, he fucking drained his transmission fluid. we all knew he was a dumbass, but OH MY GOD! oil? transmssion fluid? WTF>!>!?!?!? it was fucking hillsarious.

ok end of story.

But thats just it, the cap is there, but when you take it off the rubber grommet, there is no spout down through to the oil port... you cant even see it anymore looking down through it, like it no longer lines up correctly...its just if you drilled a random spot on the valve cover and stuck a oil cap.

Guy said just pour the shit right in... i let him do it for liability, but it all seems to be good now! he said these covers just dont come with the spout, but there isnt any need for it anyway, as there is no direct line (like i thought) through the head to the oil pan.... it just drains itself in through multiple spots in the head itself. now i know i guess!

Sebring Silver
    97 Camaro Z28

Ahh i get it.. You thought there was a direct feed striaght to the pan from the valve cover to fill it up with oil right?

Yea, i always assumed thats how it was... i always wondered why they ran it through the heads, but i assumed there was a good reason feel like an idiot, but really, how would you know unless someone told you or youve had the heads off yourself? my first car, my dads leftover train station commuter car 1984 olds, sideways 4 banger with enough room you could stand in between the motor and the tire well lol that had a dedicated fead pipe for oil, i assumed thats how all cars did it, only sounded natural! so much for engineering!

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

yeah he did.

Sebring Silver
    97 Camaro Z28

Thats true.. For someone thats never seen the inside of an engine wouldn't know how everthing works.. Its ok.. Live and let learn!

Thread Information