Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How much power??

How much power can one get from an LT1??? Was looking at swapping an LS1 into my 81 Z-28, but decided to go with an LT1. Can I reasonably get 500hp on just motor and maybe 1000hp with a twin turbo setup? Anyone done this?

red
    2000 camaro ss

this is almost an unreasonable question but it is one that everyone likes to ask. "how much power can i make". . .the answer is however deep your pockets allow. you can easily make 500 streetable horse all motor, and yes, you can make a 1000 horse turbo setup if your pockets support. but the former is far more reasonable than the latter. . .$. i've seen big turbos on all kinds of small blocks--for 1000 horse you need one hellofa fuel delivery setup, one hellofa bottom end package (billet even w/ block reinforcments) and a nasty turbo. this is an insane amount of money IMO. if ya got all that money you may not think so.
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

Trans Am owner
    former

you can get 500 hp outta a LT1, but you need a real good set of heads, and a pretty big cam.

honestly, I would do a standard SBC. they have many more parts availible, and many good procharger/twin turbo builds available. another plus.......no computer!

red
    95 Z28

There are 1000+ REAR WHEEL horsepower LT1s

Yes it can be done

Red
    1994 Trans Am

ive heard there is more potential in an LT1 than an LS1. Is there any truth in that? ive seen some nasty LT's and LS1. friends got an high 10 second SS with an LS1.

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by HondaEater94 View Post
    ive heard there is more potential in an LT1 than an LS1. Is there any truth in that? ive seen some nasty LT's and LS1. friends got an high 10 second SS with an LS1.
    the aftermarket isnt as big as the ls1 becuase of the complex reverse flow cooling.

the LT1's start out with a larger bore, but I dont know the limit of the factory block as far as over boring goes (ex. .060 over????)

all the rotaing assembly and valvtrain is interchangable with a regular small block chevy. so, if you find a badass stroker crank, and rods, then they will drop right in, and be ready for some serious nitrous usaege.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by HondaEater94 View Post
    i love LT's but this is false. the valve angle of stock ls1 head is far superior to that of an LT. aftermarket heads for both reduce the valve angle, but the decrease is greater in an ls1. i've seen modified LS1's with 10* valve angle which would be unheard of with an LT. the decrease in valve angle allows for a smaller valve to be used to get the same flow characteristics--resulting in dramatic decrease in shrouding as well as the ability to flow better overall w/ bigger valves.
    -Also the cathedral intake port design flows way better than the conventional rectangles. AND the equadistant exhaust ports allow for greater heat dissipation, and less heat "pooling". ALSO the polymer intake manifold does not conduct heat like the aluminum LT. AND it is completely isolated from the lifter galley, so hot oil doesn't hit it.
    -LS1 ignition system is way nicer.
    -The only advantage that an LT has on an LS would be it's reverse cool. you can run a little higher compression ratio on pump gas cuz of the added protection against detonation.

-I am by no means bashin LT's, i love LT's. LT1's are the bridge between what was the conventional SBC to what is the LSX. LT heads are better than their 23* predecessors, and LSx's are better than all. if they weren't we'd all be sayin "WTF GM"

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    i love LT's but this is false. the valve angle of stock ls1 head is far superior to that of an LT. aftermarket heads for both reduce the valve angle, but the decrease is greater in an ls1. i've seen modified LS1's with 10* valve angle which would be unheard of with an LT. the decrease in valve angle allows for a smaller valve to be used to get the same flow characteristics--resulting in dramatic decrease in shrouding as well as the ability to flow better overall w/ bigger valves.
    -Also the cathedral intake port design flows way better than the conventional rectangles. AND the equadistant exhaust ports allow for greater heat dissipation, and less heat "pooling". ALSO the polymer intake manifold does not conduct heat like the aluminum LT. AND it is completely isolated from the lifter galley, so hot oil doesn't hit it.
    -The only advantage that an LT has on an LS would be it's reverse cool. you can run a little higher compression ratio on pump gas cuz of the added protection against detonation.

-I am by no means bashin LT's, i love LT's. LT1's are the bridge between what was the conventional SBC to what is the LSX. LT heads are better than their 23* predecessors, and LSx's are better than all. if they weren't we'd all be sayin "WTF GM"
    Even with all those advantages in favor of the LSX, an LTX can still make just as much power naturally-aspirated with a fatter torque curve to boot. Tony Shepards car is a perfect example of that. About 540rwhp on the motor. Then of course there was the guy over at Tech that did a 15* head conversion on a 400+inch and was getting pretty close to 600rwhp N/A the last time I heard. Though the LSX clearly has the advantage from a technological standpoint, I still haven't been convinced it's superior the LTX. And I own and build both.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I downgraded from an LS to an LT....

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I downgraded from an LS to an LT....
    How dare you. Don't you ever say a thing like that!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I just like LTs better. I got the 96 last year of the nicer dash I think. Just miss the cup holders.

As for LT1 power, you can make 400HP no problem with stock cam, intake, heads, pistons, stroke ect. ect. You just need like 7 psi.....

New TL /sold my 9th Fbody Chad97SS's Avatar
    I don't know for sure, meaning by specs, but I think a main reason why an LT1 has higher torgue on the lower rpm's than an LS1 is because of the crank. I think the LT1's crank is wider. And likewise, an LS1 raps out higher at the higher rpms because the crank is more narrow. Because the push rods don't have to make a large circle like in the LT1's ; however that larger circle from a wider crank makes it possible to torque really hard. These 2 characteristics fit well with the LT1 and the LS1. The LS1 can rap out more at a higher rpm because the crank is more narrow and so the push rods dont travel as "wide" of a circle around the center of the crank shaft. So its easier to spin faster from the inside of the circle than the outside.. It's really all about gears 101 and mechanics.
    Am I getting my point across?
    Last edited by Chad97SS; 11-17-2008 at 07:07 PM.

So what does valve angle do for you? especially when the difference is only 10 - 30 hp depending upon the specific LT1 and LS1. And i base that on real rwhp stock numbers as well as LT1 RAM air factory ratings. Like factory ratings are the same for a 97 LT1 ram air or a plain jane LS1. and that is 305. not much difference in there. So what's the big deal about valve angle and how much does a factory ignition system equate to more horsepower? All I want is that damn gas to explode.. I dont care how you do it. however, I do appreciate no optispark. but I dont think 8 coils really makes more power. In fact 8 coils on your heads makes it look ugly.. But if 8 coils is required to take the place of one optispark, then ok.. maybe thats better.. but I have yet to determine 8 coils is better because that design came out later and has not had time to screw up yet.. and so not many have bitched about replacing 8 friggin coils yet. haha
    Last edited by Chad97SS; 11-17-2008 at 07:33 PM.

red
    2000 camaro ss

well the lesser the valve angle the better the flow. 0* would be best but its just hard to do cuz of the geometry of the SB v8. the larger the valve angle the more prevalent the shrouding of valves. valve angle means a lot for power.
    as far as the ignition systems go, ls1 takes the cake on that one too. tuneability is greater, wire length is reduced by feet, and they have been tested/proven for well over a hundred thousand miles. yes they are expensive, but you're not supposed to have to replace them.

again i am by no means bashin the LT. they are great motors with great potential. but LS1 is just more refined and the head design is superior.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97SS View Post
    I don't know for sure, meaning by specs, but I think a main reason why an LT1 has higher torgue on the lower rpm's than an LS1 is because of the crank. I think the LT1's crank is wider. And likewise, an LS1 raps out higher at the higher rpms because the crank is more narrow. Because the push rods don't have to make a large circle like in the LT1's ; however that larger circle from a wider crank makes it possible to torque really hard. These 2 characteristics fit well with the LT1 and the LS1. The LS1 can rap out more at a higher rpm because the crank is more narrow and so the push rods dont travel as "wide" of a circle around the center of the crank shaft. So its easier to spin faster from the inside of the circle than the outside.. It's really all about gears 101 and mechanics.
    Am I getting my point across?

Uhh, no thats not really any of it at all. And show me some stock LT1 and stock LS1 dyno graphs that show LT1s have more torque down low.

And we both know that even 305hp rated LT1 cars only put down in the mid-high 260s for rwhp on average. I rarely see an LS1 car dyno below 290rwhp, and that was for early (98-99) auto cars. For anything normally aspirated, the LS1's superior head design will always keep it ahead of just about any LTx motor, unless you start talking about extreme aftermarket heads.

red
    2000 camaro ss

but extreme aftermarket vs extreme aftermarket the ls1 still comes out on top.....saying the ls1 DESIGN is superior really makes it hard for LT's to make more power mod for mod.
    yes the fact LT's have more torque down low but it can be credited mostly to their cam from factory. it's a 5500 rpm redline w/ lift in the mid/low 4 hundreds. stick that cam in an LS1 and all the sudden you have a torquer LS1. all the power in the LT comes before the power in an LS1 by nature of their operating range.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Uhh, no thats not really any of it at all. And show me some stock LT1 and stock LS1 dyno graphs that show LT1s have more torque down low.
    Are you implying that an LT1 doesn't make more low-end torque than an LS? For example, a stock LT1 will reach it's peak torque at about 2400-2600 revs. More on par with an L98, not the LS1 which reaches it peak torque closer to 4 grand.

And we both know that even 305hp rated LT1 cars only put down in the mid-high 260s for rwhp on average. I rarely see an LS1 car dyno below 290rwhp, and that was for early (98-99) auto cars. For anything normally aspirated, the LS1's superior head design will always keep it ahead of just about any LTx motor,
    Sometimes a dyno is just that - a dyno! A '96-97 Camaro SS M6 will give an LS1 a run for it's money.

unless you start talking about extreme aftermarket heads.
    What would be your idea of "extreme" aftermarket heads? AFR 210's? 227's? A.I.'s? To make crazy horsepower naturally-aspirated your going to have to go with an extreme head. Same goes for an LS1.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

but extreme aftermarket vs extreme aftermarket the ls1 still comes out on top.....saying the ls1 DESIGN is superior really makes it hard for LT's to make more power mod for mod.
    It's easy to just 'say' things over and over like your doing, but I would like to see proof please. You haven't showed anything to back your statement up. I can use my car as an example though.

well, I ued to own a LS1, and now I don't even own a LT1, but my LT1 really had more torque from pole to pole than my ls1. just my opinion. cant speak for all LS1's. My 2000 WS6, I had to let to rev up some (M6) from a stop to keep it from bogging down. I think the LS1 may be an improvement over LT1, but not so much I'd bail on a LT1 if I already owned one. THe end difference is not that much. Now if you talk about an LS2 or LS6, then ya. big difference.. but I said LS1. not LS2.

red
    2000 camaro ss

hmmmmmmm......i'm not typing this everytime someone says somethin bout LT's. read it. theres your proof. either you think i'm lying about the stats on an LS1 head or you have a different definition of "what makes power".

i really dont wanna sound patronizing but when you say all i'm doin is sayin same shit over and over again w/ no proof.....you gotta be kidding me.

LT's are a small block chevy, which make a ton of power. LSx's have, by design, a superior top end. for the reasons up top.

Thread Information